Friday the 13th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helaine & Wally

Hi All,
What did I expect? It was Friday the 13th after all.
We went out for an early dinner at our favorite restaurant in Earp CA.  Fish and chips..yum!
The weather had been strange all day.
Windy, then calm.  Sunny, then rain. Hot then cool. 
Over heard at the restaurant.....
"Shall we sit outside on the covered patio?"
"Nah, Weather kinda iffy. Lets stay inside. but we will sit on the patio side so we can see the river and the mountains."
"Wind is picking up. Looks like rain is coming again. Good thing we decided to eat inside."
"What will you good folk have tonight?"
"We will have two of the fish and fries specials, please. Oh Look at that rain come down."
I can't see the mountains any more, Heck, I can't even see across the river."
"That wind is blowing all that junk against the window."
"I hope the window doesnt break"
"Whoa! There goes a big hunk of the patio roof."
"I'll be back. I am going to help remove the large chunk of tree that has wedged itself in a narrow space between the window and the patio."
"Here is your fish and chips, enjoy. Oh no! there goes the power. I better call the Boss."
"Boss, You had better come on down. we have no power and I can't get the till open.
"There is a tree down in the parking lot. but it has missed our cars"
"The fans on the patio have had the blades ripped off by the wind."
"Would you folks like some more fish. We cook with gas."
"yes Please."
"Look, there is another tree down in the picnic area and the roof has been torn off of the shelter"
"There are poles and wires down across the road ."
The waitress brought the bill and we found enough cash to cover it and a tip.She never did find the release for the till.
As we left we saw pieces of the roof had been scattered all over the hill that rose directly behind our parked jeep.
We saw an aluminum carport torn to pieces and wrapped around a palm tree
The AC unit was upside down on the roof of the building and another huge hunk of tree had narrowly missed the structure.
It was an exciting evening.
It was Friday the 13th
We retuned to our motorhome  in a park that appeared untouched by the sudden storm.
It hit here with far less force than it did just a few miles away.
But the skies  darkened and the wind  blew the rain sideways. There was lightening and thunder in the surrounding hills.
The storm hit, retreated and hit again. Lightening and thunder until late in the night
and......
It was Friday the 13th.

Helaine

As I read this it was so real and now.  You made this was a wonderful breath taking event!  Not to decrease the danger portion it delights me to see that some can look and go through the situation and I am so glad you could share it with us. 

Often in the midst of something like this one will think "of all the inconvenience".  You instead, have taken the side of Whatever Happens If We May Laugh --- We May Get Through.  More stories from you please.  You indeed have a talent.  In my "with out a doubt most humble opinion".  Dani

Dani,
Thank you for the kind words. One never knows when their muse will appear. It was a scary, but fun adventure, One I don't want repeated when we return to the restaurant this coming friday.
Helaine

Good story! Did anyone say, "Welcome to Sunny California!"? BTW, I haven't worried about Fridays the 13th since my son was born on the 13th. Excellent day for us!

Please keep writing, but no more scary experiences, I hope.

Pierat said:
I haven't worried about Fridays the 13th since my son was born on the 13th. Excellent day for us!

One of our sons was born on New Years Eve. Great excuse for a party.

Holy Cow, Helaine!!
Glad y'all didn't get hurt.  Enjoyed reading your account, though, well done.  :)

Regards,
Jack and Liz

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom