Simple solution to keeping the entry door propped open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kevin Means said:
It's surprising how many RVs have this problem, and the solution offered above certainly looks like it would hold the door open but I'd still be concerned about damaging the RV at the mounting points if the door got tugged hard - for any reason. I dealt with this problem a little over a year ago and came up with a cheap, effective solution ..
We have two completely different doors, you are lucky to have the door with that brace mechanism at the top.  My door prop scheme is used on several different Winnie models so I have a lot of faith in it - it's really very, very sturdy  8).

My 2013 Sunstar 27N came standard with that very same rod, except it was to short to keep the door open past 90 degres

My 2012 Winnebago Class C has this exact rod, but in my case, the rod is too LONG to keep the door open past 90 degrees - in order to do this, I am going to have to fabricate a SHORTER rod. Did you say what you thought you said?

Bill

Kevin Means said:
you'll see that I originally wrapped the scissor-bar with one wrap of electrical tape

(Thanks Marty)

I did originally see the tape but I didn't know why you used it. I just thought that maybe you put there during installation to prevent scratching of the bar.  Once again, excellent idea.

My 2014 Winnebago Aspect came with the bar, there is a problem with the bar on the Aspect. Winnebago does NOT install backing in the sidewall of the coach in which to make a structural connection. My sidewall has been repaired once already (warranty) for this engineering flaw.

That certainly sounds like an engineering oversight ::).  What you could do for a permanent fix is to cut a small plate out of aluminum to spread the load and mount the padeye (or whatever you have) to it.  Leave the plate shiny aluminum or paint it to match the sidewall color.

John Canfield said:
That certainly sounds like an engineering oversight ::).  What you could do for a permanent fix is to cut a small plate out of aluminum to spread the load and mount the padeye (or whatever you have) to it.  Leave the plate shiny aluminum or paint it to match the sidewall color.

I am taking the coach to a local Boat Shop who will install a stainless steel plate mounted to the sidewall.

I too, have came up with a solution 2 this on my '03 Journey, but I went another route.
I used 1/2 steel rod bent so fit around door & fits into lock mechanism, then rod goes  into a nut welded onto a flat plate which is bolted on mirror, I replaced 2 mirror bolts.
I have tried 2 post pics, but can't get them small enough 2 post, & you still see them.
If interested in pics, send me email: [email protected], please put "door pics" in header, or I may not open it.
May be able 2 see then what I have done.
Alan

Back
Top Bottom