Winterizing Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomster

Back into the RV life after 20+years away. One thing I can't avoid where I live is winter's icy grip.
I live on the Vermont/New York state line near Lake Champlain and temps well below zero are the Norms come winter. I know these conditions can reek havoc on a TT in storage. I'll be storing my unit on my property and I want to avoid surprises come spring.

Question: Is there a book or a website that can supply all the knowledge I need to do it right? What do I need in the way of equipment? I remember back about 20 years ago I owned a device to pump RV Antifreeze into the plumbing but can't remember where I bought it. I have a vague memory of bypassing the water heater and draining it to save on antifreeze. Also draining the fresh water tank, the two holding tanks etc.

Any tips and information sources would help and save me a lot of major problems when all the ice and snow melts. I guess this is why a lot of my retired friends moved to Florida and Arizona but I can't tolerate all that hot weather.

Boomster said:
I guess this is why a lot of my retired friends moved to Florida and Arizona but I can't tolerate all that hot weather.

Just go down to Florida the end of November and don't go home till the end of March. I did it last winter and can't wait till this November to do it all over again.

Personally I would rather blow the entire system out with compressed air and skip the anti-freeze. Now up here in Idaho I see -20*F to -25*F and seen several different brands now turn solid. It might not of expanded but I'm not willing to risk my RV plumbing. So all plumbing is blown dry and even the p-traps. So the only spot I put any pink stuff is in the toilet bowl to keep the seal moist. (1-2 ozs). My waste tank are flushed and stored dry as well so there is no smell from the sinks or tub.

No freeze worries...

Back
Top Bottom