Towing with a 1989 Winnebago Warrior 22EC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for taking this tired subject up again but I'm not really sure what the conclusion was...

My RV is a 1989 Winne Warrior 22EC with a Chevy P30 454 chassis. This is the carburated 454, one year pre fuel injection and with the 3 speed automatic transmission. I have a VIN plate that says: "GVWR 11,800 LB". I cannot find any indication of the GCWR. (picture attached). I hope to have an actual weight of the RV soon as I have just found a location not too far away that can weigh each corner for me. I want to fill all the tanks and pack our provisions before we weigh it but I'll do that in the next week or so.

There is a very substantial fabricated steel weldment hitch that is bolted to the bumper and to the frame rear crossmember. It has a 2" ball (5000 lb?). I suspect that this was not from the factory but was added by the previous owner (picture attached).

I would like to tow a small light car behind, either on a dolly or toe bar. (Think 1998 Corolla 2414 lb). I know how complicated the dolly/towbar decision is, but for now I'd like to just concentrate on deciding whether I can tow at all and if so, how much. I do know that many much larger, heavier, RV's were built with my exact powertrain. I've had a lot of engine work done recently: complete cooling system overhaul and major tuneup and the engine runs very strong. I'm having steering/suspension work done right now. In addition to other considerations, my concern would be whether the 3 speed auto transmission it up to towing.

I have read the Chevy Towing Guide for 1989 and talked to the Chevy parts guy at the local dealership. Lots of people/souces have told me that towing a small car or boat is no problem. But, I've also had many folks insist that my RV cannot safely tow a car. I suppose it also makes a big difference whether hills or mountains are involved. Any thoughts?

** Ref topic: "Anyone ever towed a Rav4?" **

Attachments

• Winne VIN Label.jpg
    Winne VIN Label.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 9
  • winne hitch 1.jpg
    winne hitch 1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 10
  • winne hitch 2.jpg
    winne hitch 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 13
That is a very light hitch, maybe 2000 lbs. max., regardless of ball size.  Modern hitches have the Capacity stamped into them. The CGWR can often be found on a label on the door frame, but maybe not in a vehicle of that age.

This is a Chevy truck frame but it may have been extended by the RV manufacturer and if that is the case, that would be the weak point from what I have observed. A GM dealers opinion would be very suspect as would the truck guide as, if it has been extended, it is no longer the vehicle that came from the factory. Only Winni can tell you for sure.

The towing limits of a GM extended frame has typically been less that the Ford ones, at least in the more recent years,  likely because of the different methods used for extending the frame.

I don't think that hitch is suitable for more than about 2000 lbs, i.e. a Class I hitch. If it has a 1 7/8" ball, that would reinforce that guesswork. If it's a 2" ball, maybe the hitch is rated a Class II, but i would be skeptical of attempting anything close to 3500 lbs. Maybe your 2400 lb Corolla would be ok, but it's somewhat of a gamble. Realistically, are you the type who would pay close attention to that hitch, so that you might actually notice if it is cracking or bending the frame where it is mounted? If yes, maybe not too risky, but if you are the drive it and forget it type...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom