Does anyone tow with a Ford Expedition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooslow

We are thinking about buying one and I'd appreciate any thoughts about your experiences using an expedition to tow. We have a 28ft travel trailer that we tow at about 6k lbs wet. On paper we'd be less than 80% of capacity, but read somewhere that it isn't a great puller.

Thanks!

6000 lb wet, you should be fine. We tow a 4200 lb 25 ft loaded including full water in the Rockies and it handles fine.

I have a 2006 Expedition that I towed a 29 foot travel trailer with. While it towed with little problem, the mileage was terrible. About 7 mpg. When I towed across windy areas, I felt control was a bit that of a problem keeping control. It can be done but there may be better choices if you're going to be towing a lot.

Bob

I tow that much with mine and it is fine. You won't want to put much in the back and carrying adults at the same time is not recommended, just the driver and passenger and a couple kids will be fine. Like any 1/2 ton truck you run out of cargo capacity with tongue weight and people. Luggage and coolers have to go in trailer.

Thanks for the experiences. I'm currently pulling  with an '04 Lincoln Aviator and while it is fine, she does lumber up the hills. Looking to upgrade and wife won't drive a pickup.

You might want to check out the recent thread I started, as I research buying a 3/4 ton SUV to eventually tow a large trailer trailer... most likely an 8.1L Suburban, V10 Excursion, or diesel Excursion.  Lots of helpful advice here: SUV to tow large TT

Towed a 29 ft for three years. Towed fine but the short wheel base does cause some handling issues. I used a Equalizer hitch and a wind deflector to help. In wind you will get some white knuckle trips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom