Registering your vehicle in the 'states ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grassy

One of our topics of discussion is what to do with the truck and trailer in the summer months.

We will probably be buying our TT in the 'states (unless Canadian retailers start realistically pricing their rigs) and perhaps buying out truck there as well.

Anyway, on thought is to just leave both in the 'states while we come home to Canada.

I bounced this off of our insurance person and was told that we would have to register the vehicle in the states as well as insure it there.

We don't plant to stay in one place for any length of time so we won't even have a PO box. Anybody know how that would work ?

Thanks
Ian.

Oh, forgot...

Would this also mean we wouldn't have to pay our sales tax (15%) on them as well ?

And, if we did bring them back into Canada, how would that work ?  :)

Thanks
Ian.

Check with your provincial tax people, but I would assume that you pay no Canadian tax if you never import the vehicles. But if you ever did bring it in, there would probably be some tax due, as well as whatever is needed to comply with Canadian motor vehicle laws.

You would need a US address to title and register the vehicles, and you would pay state taxes & fees (varies by state) on them. You can designate a legal representative in the US and use their address as your official contact point, but again the details vary by state. One method is to set up a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) to "own" the vehicles.

Gary,

Seems to me not worth the effort. It was just one idea floating around in my brain.

Tick that box off :)

Thanks !
Ian.

grassy said:
Oh, forgot...

Would this also mean we wouldn't have to pay our sales tax (15%) on them as well ?

And, if we did bring them back into Canada, how would that work ?  :)

Thanks
Ian.
where do u live that its 15%  ?    I thought BC was high at 12%    you will need to establish a legal US address of some sort in order to register the trailer and vehicle in the US and then will pay whatever taxes and registration fees etc to that state some are cheap and some are absurdly high
If I were u I would just get your provincial registration on the units and be done.IF you try and buy a new GM,DODGE or FORD truck in the US they(dealers) will not sell you one if you use a Canadian address.has to be used

buchanan,

IF you try and buy a new GM,DODGE or FORD truck in the US they(dealers) will not sell you one if you use a Canadian address.has to be used

Sounds like collusion... I had heard that the big three were threatening their dealers not to sell cars to Canadians..has anyone fought this ?

I was...but what would happen if it was used...? I am seeing a RAM 23600/3500 diesel in my future..

I live in Nova Scotia....our provincial tax rate is also shy high...  we are a dying province..kids (and jobs) are leaving us like lemmings..  I really don't blame them..

grassy said:
buchanan,

IF you try and buy a new GM,DODGE or FORD truck in the US they(dealers) will not sell you one if you use a Canadian address.has to be used

Sounds like collusion... I had heard that the big three were threatening their dealers not to sell cars to Canadians..has anyone fought this ?

I was...but what would happen if it was used...? I am seeing a RAM 23600/3500 diesel in my future..

I live in Nova Scotia....our provincial tax rate is also shy high...  we are a dying province..kids (and jobs) are leaving us like lemmings..  I really don't blame them..

Was not Talking USED?? With  used u have to look at the RIV website and it tells u whats admissible and whats not
As far as "has anyone fought this " LOL :p on that one. I can just imagine you as a private CDN going to the USA and fighting with GM or FORD dealership etc over this situation.They would throw you off their lot(rightfully so)

where do u live that its 15%  ?

Buchanan:
Here is another notch in your education. Right here in Quebec!! We pay the GST (5%) + PST (9.75%) which is calculated by including the GST in the taxable amount.  OUCH!!  I guess we have to pay for being "different" Heh heh!! ;D

Grassy:
In purchasing a vehicle/trailer in the USA, to leave it there you would need to register it there as you were advised but using a PO box might not work for some states. There may be other work-rounds though. To bring it back, you need to follow the rules found here:
https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

State taxes in some states can be avoided by getting temporary plates (ie 30day) if the intention is to export the vehicle to Canada or elsewhere. Big RV dealers know all the tricks and can be very helpful in this regard.

You would pay the GST as you enter Canada and your PST when you licence it after any necessary inspection. Or you could use a broker and avoid many of the actual import hassles. For a high value vehicle, it may be worthwhile to use a broker.

You could purchase a "demo" or leased vehicle, possibly a current year or last years model and make out just fine. I did check this out at one time several years ago for a replacement for my Dodge Caravan but decided against going the import route.

Alfa38User said:
Buchanan:
Here is another notch in your education. Right here in Quebec!! We pay the GST (5%) + PST (9.75%) which is calculated by including the GST in the taxable amount.  OUCH!!  I guess we have to pay for being "different" Heh heh!! ;D

Grassy:
In purchasing a vehicle/trailer in the USA, to leave it there you would need to register it there as you were advised but using a PO box might not work for some states. There may be other work-rounds though. To bring it back, you need to follow the rules found here:
https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

State taxes in some states can be avoided by getting temporary plates (ie 30day) if the intention is to export the vehicle to Canada or elsewhere. Big RV dealers know all the tricks and can be very helpful in this regard.

You would pay the GST as you enter Canada and your PST when you licence it after any necessary inspection. Or you could use a broker and avoid many of the actual import hassles. For a high value vehicle, it may be worthwhile to use a broker.

You could purchase a "demo" or leased vehicle, possibly a current year or last years model and make out just fine. I did check this out at one time several years ago for a replacement for my Dodge Caravan but decided against going the import route.

all I asked was what province was up to 15%.You have replied its 14.75% in FL.I don't see that as educational value(your reply) I asked a polite straight forward question out of idle curiosity. what province was charging 15%.thats it nothing more and nothing less
I already gave the OP the RIV suggestion in a previous post and I also said the sales denial  is on New only
Using a broker is a waste of money as the importing process is very simple and easy to do and the BA handle very willingly.I have done a few and its very straight forward process.Value of a RV or vehicle has No bearing on the complexity of importing.You go through the same process on a 5K vehicle as you would a 400K unit.Just make sure it qualifies or you will be sorry.If units are over a certain age its less screwing around

Anyhow back to the OP.  its up to you but for certain your will pay tax and reg fees on either side of the border.The one thing to think of is if you do register in the us and then decide to bring the units to Canada you will end you paying double taxation.just a thought

Right here in Quebec!! We pay the GST (5%) + PST (9.75%) which is calculated by including the GST in the taxable amount.

By my calculations, (1+.05)*1.0975=1.152375, actually more than 15%.  He did say Quebec, not FL.

Ned said:
By my calculations, (1+.05)*1.0975=1.152375, actually more than 15%.  He did say Quebec, not FL.
Ned you really like to argue with me don't you(haaha) 
READ: the QST(Quebec sales tax) will be applied at a rate of 9.975% to the selling price excluding the GST. (Note the excluding)
effective rate is 14.98% 

Not arguing, that's for you to do, just doing the math.  Stu said the GST was included in the PST calculation.

Ned said:
Not arguing, that's for you to do, just doing the math.  Stu said the GST was included in the PST calculation.
Ok well he,s wrong  according to the web site for Quebec taxes and as It clearly posted its says its excluded 
so I assume the web site is correct,spliting hairs any way u choose to look at it  Nova Scotia is 15% 

Ok well he,s wrong..... 

AND, once again you would be wrong...  QST is always calculated by including the GST in the taxable amount for a total of 15.47%

Either that, or every business in Quebec is also incorrect, regardless of what you found on a web site. Quebec is unique in more than one way and contrary to popular opinion, it is not because I have lived here all my life.... ;D

(I did quote a PST of 9.75 but the rate is 9.975 as you found, a typo on my part... my bad!!!)

I replied for Quebec (QC), not FL. But just for an  FYI,  FL sales tax = 6%

Why does every post have to turn into a battle of wits?? In the future, please let me know when you are about to answer a post, and I will then refrain from doing so. Shades of the F8840 Form once again!!!!

I think we have beaten this one to death..

Stu, we want to become snowbirds within X number of years.  I am always looking for help from other Canadians that have go before us...

Thanks

You are right, and hopefully all those in the future as far as I am concerned. I promised myself I will try VERY hard not to get sucked into these discussions with this particular participant again. Ever!!!!

Good luck in realizing your dream!! We have not seen snow for a number of years now!!!

Just a follow up..

I was just conversing via e-mail to Chrysler Canada

They said:

"If you are traveling temporarily in the United States or Mexico, and
your vehicle remains registered in Canada, your Chrysler Canada warranty
will still apply. Service may be requested at any authorized Chrysler
dealership"

"Chrysler U.S. warranties only cover vehicles if they were built for
sale in the United States and if they remain registered in the U.S.
There is no warranty coverage on this vehicle once it leaves the United
States and is further sold or registered in countries other than the
United States.

Please note Chrysler American warranties do not apply to vehicles
registered in Canada nor does Chrysler Canada provide warranty coverage
for imported vehicles."

So I said, as an American citizen, if I move to Canada (and take my truck) my warranty disappears ?

Now they want me to call them The warranty issue is BS ...The trucks are just cheaper than in Canada ..the big three cannot justify the price differential...and they don't want Canadians buying over the border because it hurts Canadian dealers.

So in reality, if I wanted to go cross border, I would have to buy a used truck that is out of warranty.

Good thing I am doing my research and if you don't ask questions...

Establish a South Dakota residency then buy license and insure it there.  Done deal!

I have heard of this location used before in terms of residency...

On the flip side, according to Chrysler, when I go back home to Canada, I lose my warranty. 

I really think I have hit a brick wall and it isn't worth fighting. 

But it was a good question:)

Thanks all for your participation.
Ian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom