Older Wilderness (by Fleetwood) Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AVGeek

I'll get some pictures up later this week, but I have recently come into possession of a mid-80's Wilderness trailer (I've been told it's either an 84 or 86).  I went to air up the tires today (it's been sitting for a year and half or so), and one of the valve stems was rotted enough that it leaked right back at me.  In order to pull it home to start working on it, I ordered 4 brand new tires.  Which brings me to question #1: where can I find old-style 4 lug, 15" wheels?  I don't currently have a spare tire and want to remedy that.

My other query is more general; I'm looking for any and all information I can find on this era of trailer, things like brochures, owner's manuals, wiring diagrams, etc.  I'm also looking for a supplier for the siding, the rear of the trailer has been partially pulled away from the structure due to careless parking (though I may just sub out that part of the job, depending on cost).  I'm really hoping to have the trailer in usuable condition by Thanksgiving this year.

TIA!

It's unlikely you'll find any manuals for the RV...it probably never came with one.  Even the newer ones come with a very generic manual.  Essentially, an RV is a rolling box filled with furniture and appliances....all made by a handful of manufacturers.  Those are what you'll find manuals for (maybe), not the RV itself.

OTOH....post what you need to know and someone here will be able to help.  Fixing an RV is pretty much the same no matter who made it.  One that old is likely devoid of complicated things like slides (which aren't really that complicated).  When something on an oldie breaks, that's a good time to upgrade it.

As for wheels, you will probably be upgrading the wheel bearings and hubs and brakes so you can switch to the more accessible 5 lug wheels. Nice to need the more common ones if you get stuck somewhere.

keymastr said:
As for wheels, you will probably be upgrading the wheel bearings and hubs and brakes so you can switch to the more accessible 5 lug wheels. Nice to need the more common ones if you get stuck somewhere.

Good to know, I was considering replacing the entire axle assembly...

Unless this old trailer has a lot of sentimental value or antique appeal, I doubt if it is practical to pay somebody to repair the siding. Or anything else. It's only worth a few thousand $ even in top condition.

Back in the day we had a 1988 Wilderness Yukon, a 24 ft 5W. Adequate, but nothing much to commend it. Metal siding and roof, lots of plastic & vinyl, inexpensive upholstery & flooring, particle board cabinets, etc. All very simple, as Frizlefrak said. The roof was a weakness on ours - it was in sections and the seams leaked unless regularly cared for, plus the metal itself corroded (pin hole leaks). Siding was solid and the wood framing seemed ok too (but subject  to rot if it gets wet).

Gary RV Roamer said:
Unless this old trailer has a lot of sentimental value or antique appeal, I doubt if it is practical to pay somebody to repair the siding. Or anything else. It's only worth a few thousand $ even in top condition.

Back in the day we had a 1988 Wilderness Yukon, a 24 ft 5W. Adequate, but nothing much to commend it. Metal siding and roof, lots of plastic & vinyl, inexpensive upholstery & flooring, particle board cabinets, etc. All very simple, as Frizlefrak said. The roof was a weakness on ours - it was in sections and the seams leaked unless regularly cared for, plus the metal itself corroded (pin hole leaks). Siding was solid and the wood framing seemed ok too (but subject  to rot if it gets wet).

Mine is an old Yukon 5th wheel a little smaller but the same as yours was....mine did come with ALL the paperwork - including a manual for the trailer which says absolutely nothing except enjoy your new trailer - nothing about systems or location of items - no wiring diagrams, not real instructions at all so not sure it has much value for a new owner.

I love my little Yukon and it serves me well, getting ready to put a new coating on the roof, but so far not one leak and I intend to keep it that way at least until I upgrade maybe next year....

Good luck with your new Wilderness!!

Jim

I went and cleaned the trailer out today.  Turns out the original brochure and owners manuals (including one from Fleetwood) were in the trailer.  This is a 1983 Wilderness 28W,  with the island double bed/rear entry and side sofa bed options.  The one thing I still haven't found is an electrical center like I had in my motorhome (with both the 12v and 120v fuses and circuit breakers).  There was no mention of it in the manual, and nowhere obvious in the trailer.

I'm know I won't get back as much money as I put into the trailer.  What I do expect to get out of it is many more years of use.  There is some left over water damage in the bedroom area (looks like new paneling will take care of the issue), but otherwise the trailer is solid.  I was considering pulling all of the cabinets and paneling in order to re-wire the unit and paint, but given how well they have held up, I'm thinking a thorough cleaning will be sufficient.  I am definitely looking at replacing the flooring throughout, along with a few other upgrade projects.  I may also tackle reskinning it myself, as I could re-wire and re-insulate from the outside.

My panel is in an out of the way place - underneath one of the seats in the dinette - have to stand on your head to see the fuses etc...it has a dark tinted plastic fold down panel and almost impossible to spot...so look there, my buddy has a TT of the same vintage by fleetwood and his panel is the same in in the same location...

Good Luck,

Jim

My 88 Wilderness had power in two places, a couple120v breakers one under the dinette seat and  some 12v stuff tucked way back under the fridge. Not "power center' like you mentioned.

Consider replacing the converter/charger with a modern unit with 3-stage charging. If not 3-stage, at least get something with up-to-date digital power regulation. The old one will eat batteries by overcharging, while still under-performing in other aspects. It will save you money in batteries as effort in maintenance.

I found the 110 panel, it's under the bed.  I still need to find the 12v fuses, I expect to find them near the inverter.  I plan on looking at the better inverter/chargers, as I will be replacing the existing 12v batteries with a dual 6v setup.  I had this on my motorhome, and for the dry camping I do, it worked extremely well.

I spent last weekend rebuilding the back wall.  The new siding is due to arrive today, and I should be able to button it back up this weekend.

The '83 Wilderness won't have an inverter, unless a previous owner added one. The standard 12v system is a basic converter & charger, which produces 12v (an inverter produces 120v from 12v). If it hasn't been upgraded to something a lot more modern, now is a good time to do it. Chargers of that vintage were both slow and hard on batteries.

I have a 2006 fleetwood Dakota I contracted customer service and they were super nice they send me the manual by email in minutes

Hi there, I read that you found the paper work for your 1983 wilderness. Is there any chance I can get a copy of it? I have been looking all over for something on this travel trailer but nada. I am wanting to redo the inside to original as best as I can. I hope this finds you since it has been awhile. Amanda [email protected]

Welcome to the Forum!

This thread is 5 years old, and the original poster (OP) has not been here since last November.  I can not promise a quick response.  :-[

grashley said:
Welcome to the Forum!

This thread is 5 years old, and the original poster (OP) has not been here since last November.  I can not promise a quick response.  :-[

simone (reply #12), the member who has the manuals, was last on July of 2018.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom