The roof of my MH lifted & cracked the fiberglass skin in the center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks John,That would help but I have a different version of paint and it looks nothing like the version shown.Those options are just not there.I had to do a search just to find MS Paint,it was not even in Start/accessories ect.I wind up this Dell computer with a big Key each morning,Vista 32.I wasted about two hours this AM looking for a way and gave up.
My Nikon files are around 350 KB each.

Cheechwizard said:
My Good Sam Insurance calls this a wear and tear Issue  and refuses to deal with the claim.... Any Thoughts?

Is your Good Sam Insurance an extended warranty policy or an RV Collision/Liability policy? If the former, have you checked with your RV insurance company to see whether you might be covered. I have heard of people getting reimbursed by their RV insurance company for damage when they have a tire blow out. Perhaps, you would have coverage there.

R

That's wind damage.  The insurance company took your money, now it's time for them to pay up. Send emails to the Division of Insurance in your state and in Good Sam Ins home state and also the BBB in both states. This worked for me when the insurance company was just stone walling me for a $14,000 claim

If that does'nt work, I would talk to an attorney. If insurance companies don't want to run these risks they need to get a different gig and quit accepting our money.

Build a portfolio of pictures of the campsite, trees down things blown over or other property damage. Change all wording to wind or storm damage. Do a thorough inspection to see if there cold be other damage besides roof. Try to capture possibly weather reports for that area and news broadcast after the storm. Build a case and present it to a higher level representative. Keep your wording very direct. You have sustained a major storm damage. Your comprehensive insurance coverage should without a doubt cover this loss. I wish you good luck. 

Interesting pictures. It may be hard to see but I can't see much adhesive left on the underside of the roof panel. Also, I was imagining that the fiberglass roof panel would have had the curve molded in when it was laid up. It appears that it has simply sprung back to its original flat shape when what little adhesive was there failed to hold. Certainly it appears there was no continuous adhesive as the OP had stated. I wonder if the part was not prepped properly so the adhesive would have been compromised.

As the others have said you can try to build a case for the insurance company. I think I would find out how W.  does this roof panel today and if it is not the same as it was then you may have a clue as to why they changed it.

If they have changed/improved this process I think I would appeal to them to share in the cost of the repair. Explaining that you have maintained the sealant in a responsible way and so forth.

The pictures may be misleading but I would lean to the opinion that this is not an isolated incident.

I have posted some of the damage pictures on my facebook page I anyone wishes to see them.I will be offline for a few days so have a great weekend.Thanks for all the input also.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.thompson.7547031

I think this is typical fiberglass roof construction. It's just sheet material, not molded, and none that I have seen have 100% "continuous adhesive". I just helped a friend re-attach the roof edge on a 2004 HR Endeavor after the OEM screws loosened and let it slip out from under the molding. My American Coach is similar, with some glue plus a metal retainer strip at the roof edge seam to hold it in place, then caulk to seal the joint.

You originally said the roof cracked in the center, but what I am seeing is the edges lifting up, i.e. a mechanical issue with the roof-to-sidewall seam. Wind may have exacerbated it when it caught the exposed edge, but it seems to me the base problem is a mechanical failure at the joint. Not a terribly unusual issue in an older coach, in my opinion. I now understand why the insurer declines to pay or even negotiate.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You originally said the roof cracked in the center, but what I am seeing is the edges lifting up, i.e. a mechanical issue with the roof-to-sidewall seam. Wind may have exacerbated it when it caught the exposed edge, but it seems to me the base problem is a mechanical failure at the joint. ...
And that's the situation. 

I checked with my Winnebago contact and they have always applied a continuous bead of sealant all along that joint.  I agree that it is wind damage but the root cause of the situation was a failure to properly inspect and maintain the integrity of the sealant in the roof-sidewall joint.  Case closed.  8)

It does not matter if someone has a opinion of a factory defect or poor workmanship they are only opinions.  The facts are the roof panel has been in perfect working condition since ownership and was in perfect working order before the storm. The vehicle has sustained major storm damage and the Insurance company has a responsibility to correct or settle the loss. You should not be penalized with a depreciation other than your deductible. The roof I don't think has a time stamp on it like your home has a 20 year or 30 year roof. I think your pictures on your Facebook tells a story of a severe storm and high winds, good job on the pictures. Good luck

The roof I don't think has a time stamp on it like your home has a 20 year or 30 year roof.

Isn't the manufacture date or model year a time stamp?

In any case, home insurance will depreciate everything except the physical structure for wear & tear unless you pay extra for full replacement value coverage. Not just the roof.

IMO, it is possible that the manufacturer did not attach the roof that great, (typical for RV, perhaps as compared to auto or truck standards) , however, his insurance company easily decided to accept his premium payment to insure his motorhome and the roof blew off; they have to pay to fix it, maybe they can sue Winnebago to recoup their losses but that shouild have notjing to do with their client. Look how lucky they got that all motorhome roofs that they insured did'nt blow off.
  I feel really bad for his insurance company, but, if they can't take the heat, they need to get out of the kitchen. I'm really sorry they can't just make a profit all the time.
  This is what insurance is for.

I'm amazed this situation is still being debated.  The problem was caused by a lack of regular inspection and maintenance of the roof to sidewall joint.  Winnebago specifies that seam/joint should be inspected every six months. 

I have been in 60+ sustained winds and my roof is doing just fine, but I do my maintenance.

John, I don't mean to be difficult but to those of us who aren't as familiar with the building processes or standards as you or Gary may be, this seems kind of odd. I have just viewed the youtube video and the WIT Club News Oct/Nov 2010 and now have a better understanding of this joint.

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I had imagined the roof part was a molded part with the curved radius molded in. I was also imagining a thickness of maybe an 1/8 inch or so, but my frame of reference is from boats. I did not imagine the roof panel would be so thin and then bent to form the radius to meet the wall. Just my opinion (worthless, I know) but this still seems to be a relatively poor way of attaching the roof panel. If they put adhesive (not sealant) in the channel before the roof was bent and tucked in and then follow with the sealant on the outside as they do now, this type of failure could be avoided.

Edit; Ideally, adhesive should be used to adhere the roof panel and then sealant used to seal the joint, since there is no mechanical fastening.

Winnebago clearly states this is a maintenance item to be done twice per year. All any insurance company would have to do to deny a claim is ask the insured for documentation for the maintenance work and if none can be provided, they can conclude it was not done and claim denied. For those who do it yourself, I don't know how you would ever prove that.

Gee I hate to hear of this as I have experienced some of the same problems. A few years ago coming out of a campsite I came off of a small curb probably not over three inches tall at an angle that allowed the left front tire to drop hard first  and for the next few weeks I would hear a popping in the roof at different times. Upon inspecting I noticed that I had raised places from side to side about three inches wide and every four feet from front to back. I knew they were not there three weeks before as I had washed and inspected the caulking on the roof. I contacted Progressive Ins. and they did two different inspections and determined that it was a factory defect and denied my claim. Arbitration, sure I could do that but I would have to pay to have the roof removed and inspected and if found to have been caused by torquing of the coach they would pay if not I would have to pay for the repairs. Fortunately the separation has not progressed but It still bugs me to see those places. Needless to say I now have a different Insurance Co. The factory felt that the problem would not progress and as the second owner I hadn't any recourse except to suck it up. Arrrrgggg!!!!
Good Luck

Well after seeing this, there will never be a Winnebago in my future. How much more would it have cost to have a molded roof panel? The engineer that thought that up should be fired. Caulking isn't going to hold that down when the adhesive lets loose after a few years. I'll take the rubber roof on my elcheapo Challenger any day. My old Itasca had an aluminum roof panel that was full of pin holes, but at least it stayed put and only needed recoated. Winnebago should stand behind this failure if they continue to install this inferior roof. If that were my coach I'd glue the roof panel back down, patch the part that's broke and send it on down the road.

Paul
When you have your next meeting with I hope a new appraisal and a new adjuster do not let them give you a excuse that this is a factory defect or a lack of maintenance or this roof was bound to happen sometime down the road crap. Your roof was in perfect working order before the storm and is now damaged from the storm you have been paying for storm damage for years so here you go. To tell you its because of the factory or design defect or a upkeep issue is only in theory. Who's to say your roof was going to fail next week or who's to say it would have lasted 50 years. But we do have facts and the facts say it was in perfect working order before the storm. Insurance companies learn over time they share loss information with each other they also share deniability issues with one another. Its all about limiting losses. When I adjusted I hated it, we were instructed to basically do what we could to limit losses. Now I assist people everyday with their claims and have been for 32 years. Paul you have a legitimate claim here sir, and I hope you can get some satisfaction.

92GA said:
Caulking isn't going to hold that down when the adhesive lets loose after a few years. ..
What are you missing here?  That joint requires regular inspection and with proper maintenance will last forever - we have that same joint and have 95,000 miles on our Horizon.

Rodney Davidson said:
.. Your roof was in perfect working order before the storm and is now damaged from the storm you have been paying for storm damage for years so here you go. ..
And how in the world have you determined that?

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom