Moisture under mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbwhite7

We have a new Jayco hybrid and have used it twice.  Each time we fold in the beds there is considerable moisture under the mattresses along the outer half of the bed.  We do not think it is leaking.  Is it condensation?  Is there a remedy for it?  Thanks for any advice.

Are you sure you didn't wet the bed?  :)

Are your mattresses vinyl covered?  If so, it could be there have been leaks (even on the dealer lot) and the mattresses have soaked up some water at some time or the other and it is being squished back out through the seams when laid on.  You might not feel it or get wet if the mattress is vinyl covered, but the water could have soaked in through seams around the bottom.  Just a thought.

We used to have something similar on a prior boat with a foam mattress. I finally figured it was moisture given off by our bodies getting wicked to the bottom of the mattress, which sat on a 'cold' surface. My inexpensive, but immediately effective, fix was to cut some large cardboard boxes and lay the cardboard flat under the mattress. This provided sufficient 'insulation', so the bottom of the mattress no longer sat on a cold surface.

FWIW my other half has re-covered numerous foam mattresses from boats of similar construction (same boat builder), and they always had mildew on the underside.

If possible, it might help to put them out in the sun and let the moisture bake out of them.

ArdraF

Moisture was the primary reason we got out of a pop-up and anything with canvas.

Your mattress issue is most likely caused by condensation as noted by Tom, as that's fairly common. Any difference in temperature and humidity can create condensation inside the camper. After you return home, set up the camper on a sunny day and open the windows, maybe run a fan. Pull the mattresses to air out, and make sure everything is dry before closing it back up.

Thanks for responses.  Will try idea to insulate under the mattresses to reduce condensation and dry things out well whenever there is. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom