120 volt receptacles not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Honwing

Just purchased a 2013 Navion IQ 24G.  Found out on first trip that the two receptacles in the back and side slide, the one in the upper satellite cabinet, and the one on the lower wall by sofa do not work. The four connected through the GFCI work. Both breakers are on.  Any ideas?

Look for another GFCI outlet that controls those dead ones.  There is probably one in the galley and one in the head.

Several ideas.  But first a question: DO YOU HAVE AN INVERTER?  Now inverters come in several flavors but for this I'm only interested in two.

Mine, the inverter feeds a sub panel, this is located in a different place from the main breaker panel  (Yes I know where it is) and you might have a tripped breaker.. Bedroom, and TV/Electronics bay outlets are common inverter circuits (Mine does not  (normally) power bedroom save for the electronics cabinet)

The other kind has breakers ON the inverter, usually two of them.

NEXT come bad connections...

Two possible spots for those

On the slide out, under the slide (May be inside where you need to take stuff apart to get to it) there are two junction boxes.. often there will be an articulated arm (Has an elbow joint) and the wire connecting those two boxes is zip-tied or otherwise tied to that arm.  There are also other ways to do this, One of the J-Boxes is on the slide, the other the non-sliding part.  Connections inside are suspect. Next page.

The outlets used on most motor homes are not what I call quality.. They are basically punch down devices.

You lay the wire in the track and when you put the back on the wire is PUNCHED DOWN into a metal slot, the metal slices through the insulation and contacts the wire... NOT the best of connections.. This is why I installed regular 15/20 amp outlets for my space heaters, With 12ga wire bent around a screw and well tighteneed.

Page 3.

I have found many RVers have a few screws loose.. Now I know a lot of folks who would agree with that, but they would be wrong since they and I are talking about different screws.. The ones I'm talking about often take a #2 Square bit,, and you will find them in your power distribution panel (among other places) They are SUPPOSED to hold the wires tight,,, one of mine took over 2 full turns before it offered resistance, roughly 3 to Tight.

ALso had one loose on my Power inlet  (There is an omitted story to that one)

And I've seen two rigs that had screws loose in the 50 amp Marinco OUTLET on the shore cord, one of them had six loose screws inside the cover,, Care to guess how many screws are inside that cover (Hint, six).

The other just had one.

That about covers the suspect list

Oh, some rigs have a 2nd GFCI hidden somewhere.

Since one is in the satellite cabinet, it may well be an inverter-supplied outlet and the inverter is off. Tv and satellite are often on  an inverter so you watch without shore power or using generator.

....two receptacles in the back and side slide....

You mentioned in a slide. There may be a skillfully disguised wall switch controlling those outlets some where, my trailer has two like that. Check your manuals, if you have them, or check with Winni Cust. Service and have your coach info in hand. Others have mentioned the inverter possibility for at least one of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom