Trip to Oregon from Denver, CO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgenardi

Hello,

New to this site and looking for some information on a trip we're planning from Denver to Eugene, OR. We want to go see the Oregon sand dunes in Lakeside.

We're looking at taking I25 to I80W to 84 to Hwy 20 and this looks like its only a 2 lane highway across the state of Oregon.

We're hoping that someone can tell us if Highway 20 is a good option. Is it a well traveled highway with services, is it mountainess and is this a good route.

Also, any tips on things to see along the way?

Hwy 20 is mostly 2-lanes but it's a fine road. We do it several times a year. There's a lot of it that's pretty boring, a couple of passes, but nothing difficult. Hwy 26 is actually more scenic if you're inclined to go a bit north. Enjoy Oregon.

Wendy
La Pine, OR
Cortez, CO
and other places

Hi Wendy,

Thx for your response.

Going down 26 are there any length limitations (we're driving 32' motor home, towing a car) or is that only if you're going down the scenic byway? Is it driving through mountains - any passes?

Do you have any RV parks you recommend or sites to see?

Sounds like you've done this trip once or twice!

I just came down hwy 20 last week, Newport to Bend , Or. Some of the road is great other is narrow 2 lanes with humps and dips. I made it just fine in a 40' motorhome towing a Jeep. You just have to take your time. There is so much to do on the coast it's unbelievable. Check out my trip report, West Coast with the Wishard's

Trust Henry on Hwy 20 from the coast to Bend and be sure to check out his posts on his travels.

We came over Hwy 26 from Ontario OR to Bend in a 28-ft gasser towing a VW. You've got several passes but it's fine, especially for someone from Colorado. Hwy 20 is also a fine 2-lane road with several passes. Quicker than Hwy 26 between Ontario and Bend but not as scenic.

Be sure to stop at the VC on I-84 to pick up lots of good info. Grab the Oregon Scenic Byways Magazine and the Eastern Oregon one. If you like history, I'd recommend stopping in Baker City for the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. The Oregon state parks are great places to stay; there's also a very nice forest service campground on a lake between Baker City and Sumpter.

For touristy stuff along Hwy 26, you've got john Day Fossil Beds Nat Mon, Kam Wah Chung Nat Historic Landmark (state operated, this is a hidden, seldom visited gem), Clyde Holliday State Park, lots of scenery and more trees than you can imagine. Spend a couple of days in Bend or La Pine and you can do Cascade Lakes highway, the High Desert Museum, Newberry Volcano National Monument and Sisters. And if you're a geocacher, bike rider and/or kayaker, you may never leave.

Enjoy Oregon, one of my three favorite states.

Back
Top Bottom