2001 Dodge Durango Towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgajfan1

Hello, looking for some insight.  New to this stuff.
I have a 27' Shasta travel trailer and I am thinking of buying a 2001 Dodge Durango SLT -- I thought looking on line it can tow up to 7,000 lbs but now reading some posts on this site, it doesn't sound like a smart move.  My trailer does not weigh more than 7,000 lbs.  Is the on line data wrong.  Does anyone know if a 2001 Dodge Durango SLT will tow a trailer this size.  I'm close to closing the deal, but I know I have pulled the transmission on two dodges in the past.  Thanks for the insight
Kathy

To tell you what a Durango will pull, you need the engine size, rear end ratio, and whether 2wd or 4wd.  The best you are going to get out of a Durango is 7600 lbs. However, the ratings for smaller engines etc. go down to 4500 lbs so we need more data. 

More importantly, what is the weight of that Shasta.  Gross vehicle weight rating if you can find it on a DOT plate,  or, better yet, a scaled actual weight. 

Thank you Carl for a quick reply -- I am looking to buy it from a private sale.  The tow is not factory installed but done by UHaul  I do know it is a 4.7 V8 - I would guess it is 2wd - have no clue on rear end ratio -- and the Shasta is
GVWR 7690
UVW  4806
NCC  2884
CCC 2416

If that makes any sense -- doe this help?? Thanks again
Kathy

Forget the Durango.  Even if it had a 3.92 rear axle, the best it could pull would be no more than 5,400 lbs.  Your Shasta will ruin it. 

Move up to somethingn the F250, 2500 class with a 6.0 L diesel or better.  If you want a general reference for tow vehicle tow ratings, go to the Trailer Life tables by clicking HERE.

Back
Top Bottom