Stripers boiling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
It's one of those times of year when stripers are running through the California Delta. The water in the bay behind the house was boiling this morning. The stripers are following & feeding on shad from below; The shad in turn are trying to get away (like goldfish trying to get out of a fishbowl). Meanwhile, seagulls are diving for the shad and, together with the surface boiling, is a sure sign the stripers are actively feeding.

I didn't need to launch the bass boat; Just tossed lures from the dock. Every time I hooked a fish, the dogs would get excited and, when I brought it in, they'd go nuts. My concern is that, when I return the fish to the water, the dogs might jump in after it  :eek:

It can be exciting when that happens.  White bass do the same thing in our lake (Bull Shoals) and tossing a lure in the middle of the panicing shad often results in a strike.  As for your dogs, my little Westie gets excited, too.  But, she's not interested in jumping in after a fish.  Her short legs and dense body make her a lousy swimmer and she knows it. :)

We used to fish Lake Mead just for the Striped Bass boils, they are a load of fun. Last week when we were fishing in Utah I caught a 1#-3# Rainbow on each of three consecutive casts...I thought I had gone to heaven for a moment.

We loved the shad boils on Lake Shasta when we lived in Redding.  Tom pulled some nice silver salmon out of those boils.

Aye, lots of fun, but requires little skill. When I took the dogs out on the bass boat a few days ago, they got excited at anything in the water.

I'm eagerly awaiting my next trout fishing trip in the Eastern Sierras. I happened to show a visitor my 'new' fishing closet a few days ago and, seeing my fly rods, got all excited.

Tom said:
Aye, lots of fun, but requires little skill. When I took the dogs out on the bass boat a few days ago, they got excited at anything in the water.

I'm eagerly awaiting my next trout fishing trip in the Eastern Sierras. I happened to show a visitor my 'new' fishing closet a few days ago and, seeing my fly rods, got all excited.

I've always told my wife that I am an avid fisherman, no one on earth has ever called me a "Catcher-man". My cost to catch ratio hoovers in the $1,000.00 per pound range. I have spent hours fishing as the guy next to me catches them left and right. Whenever I get the opportunity to cast and catch, I take it...granted though...very little skill required. Makes it perfect for me.

Tom you explained it just as in real time, Here in  NM  elephant Butt lake  the  strippers boil  rarely. I prefer the white bass over  strippers or walleye.

Attachments

• NCM_1131.JPG
    NCM_1131.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 35
Oscar Mike said:
I've always told my wife that I am an avid fisherman, no one on earth has ever called me a "Catcher-man". My cost to catch ratio hoovers in the $1,000.00 per pound range. I have spent hours fishing as the guy next to me catches them left and right. Whenever I get the opportunity to cast and catch, I take it...granted though...very little skill required. Makes it perfect for me.

My version of this is...when I golf is that I get more strokes per dollar than any of my opponents ever do!  Perhaps you can turn this around some how!

Back
Top Bottom