New to RVs... Can't Seem to Find What I Want/Don't Know How These Work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YuurixWolfram86

NOTE: Sorry in advance for so many questions!

I'll be getting a job soon, and I want out of the house. Mom and I are driving each other INSANE, but she says that if I get an RV, she'll let me live on the same plot of land, hooked up to her water. I have lots of things I need to know:

1. Does everything in an RV run on propane (or would we be sharing the electric bill?)

2. If I get hooked up to my mom's water, how does it work? (I understand that you have to dump water from the tanks... does the water refill it from her house somehow?)

3. If you only use an RV to live in and only drive it once to get it home from where you buy it (unless it's towed instead), does this lower the amount of propane used? (Unless of course my electric bill would be shared with my mom's, then this part doesn't matter much)

4. Does hot water really only last five minutes in an RV? (Not a problem if it does, but how long does it take to build back up? I'm already used to super fast showers)

5. Do all RVs generally come with: a stove (looking for one with 4 burners), a fridge/freezer combo, and a microwave?

6. Is there anything special I should know about RVs? Please explain to me what these special things are in immense detail, and explain it to me as though I were a young child (I'm not very tech-savy even though I'm 19).

Also, could someone link me to a NEW RV that has a stove with 4 burners and a bedroom that's closed off and has bunk beds for guests? I like having people over, so they'd need a place to sleep. The closed off bedroom for me is because if a bug gets in the house, it'd be great if I could keep it out of my room better by having the door closed, you know? And if the bedroom has a closet, that'd be nice too.

It'd also be even better if you could tell me about an RV you have, a link me to the site where you bought yours. Who knows? Maybe something like yours is exactly what I'm looking for! Plus, if you had a good experience with yours and with that site, I'll feel less worried about buying it there :)

First where do you live? If in it's in a cold climate in the winter, probably living in an RV would not be for you. Try finding a roommate and rent an apartment.

Propane runs the heat,  the stove (3 burner normal) and possibly the refrigerator.  If you got a propane powered generator then the elect too.

You would have to have some way to dump the gray and black(toilet) tanks.  You would need to plumb in a 3" pvc line to septic tank or to house to go out through house sewer line.

Normally just hook up hose to exterior fitting and you have water just like in a house.  Our hot water is sufficient for two showers.  Wet down, shut off, water soap down, then rinse off.  No 30 minute showers.

If you are handy all can be done cheaply with sweat and a few $$$  Lots of $$$$$ if you have to hire it all done.  Like Rene T said if you are in the BBBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr North this would not be practical at all,  It can be done for lots and lots of dollars for propane, skirting etc.  Would be way cheaper to find a small house or apt to rent. 

Or better yet learn HOW TO GET ALONG WITH MOM!!!  It is after all her house.  If you were renting you would have to get along with the neighbors and land lord ;).

If you want A/C then you would need at least a 30 amp plug installed of the ext of her house.

Microwaves are common they pull alot of amps and will blow your  breaker if using and the A/C goes on. ;D

You will need some power from the house to charge batteries. You will more power for A/C and microwave and hairdryer and toaster oven and coffee maker.

Dumping tanks can be accomplished with a macerator pump and a garden hose... as long as it doesn't have to be pumped up too much of a hill.

A 6 gallon hot water heater works surprisingly well. I think they heat to a higher temp than household H/W heater does, so you mix more cold than hot when running hot water.

Bill

YuurixWolfram86 said:
Why does the microwave take so much energy?

It is not that any one thing take excessive amps, it is that you have a limited amount of them w/30 amp.  So you run one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Honestly,

Any RV demands a huge learning curve.

I think you may end up very unhappy in short period of time. Unless of course, you get a Prevost !!!!

Or, have you considered joining the Military?  See the world.

;)

First things first.  Call the City or Township and see if they will even allow someone living in an RV on your mother's land.  IF (and that is a big if) by chance they do allow someone to live full time in an RV on your mother's property, ask them for a copy of the ordinances and restrictions.  Without this information the rest of your questions are moot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom