'99 Damon Intruder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsLizzie

Hi All...Can anyone hazard a guess as to what's going on with this slide top? What sort of bad news might it signify? Leaking? And, if you don't mind answering, has anyone had any dealings with Freedom RV in Tucson? This rig definitely has a few bruises, but it's fabulous inside! However, it seems like a lot of people have electrical issues with Damons, also...Are they actually more prone to this, or is it just turning up on my radar because I've been researching them lately?  (Hope the attachment works)

Attachments

• damonslideroof.jpg
    damonslideroof.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 57
I guess it is just a torn awning probably....(sorry!) There is no mention of awnings in the description, so I had assumed it didn't have any....but that brings up another question. I found a website for the Damon Intruder 2000 that reads: "Awnings not available on 100"-wide models in some locations. Check local regulations for applicable laws."  What is this all about, and why location-specific? Thanks for any feedback!

Yup that is what it is, Fabric is starting to tear.. You can try to "Splice" it (I have done that) I like denim for that kind of thing (Sprayed with scotch guard after application) however the Denim fabrics may be a bit thick and interfer with rolloup,, or not considering where the tear is it should work

Stitch, glue and scotch guard  (Fabric Cement)

MsLizzie said:
I found a website for the Damon Intruder 2000 that reads: "Awnings not available on 100"-wide models in some locations. Check local regulations for applicable laws."  What is this all about, and why location-specific? Thanks for any feedback!

Take a look at the picture above - the awning tube sticks out beyond the wall of the slideout.  Presumably there's a large awning on the other side that sticks out the same way.

If the body of the rig is 100 inches wide, add 3-4 inches for the awning on each side and you'll exceed the 102" maximum vehicle width.

Different states have exemptions that allow some items like mirrors to extend beyond the 102" limit - awnings may or may not be included.

Good idea, John! I like DIY projects (though the thought of getting it ON there by myself brings the term "tragicomedy" to mind!) I think it will have to wait until after the solar set-up.

Thank you, Lou. Now I remember that I've read about the 102" limit somewhere--didn't think of it! (I'm still pre-Newbie)

The 102" limit is in most vehicle codes. Only two vehicles allowed on an open freeway that wide without oversize permits, the other one is a flat bed tow truck.... Ag Gear (Which can be wider still) is not allowed on freeway.

I would use a loose stich to hold the tear together lay around a 4 to 6 inch wide strip of fabric on top of it, covered with a good amount of fabric adhesive and then stitch the edges of that with a simple stitch,, NOTE the fabric may tend to tear at the original seam.. 

Finally if you can put some kind of clamp on it, two 1x width of denim and a "C" clamp should do it,  Leave for a few hours and remove clamp.

You are a handy guy, JFD; do you do house-painting??? Anyway, thanks much for the tips! I'm sure I will have more urgent costs, so it's nice to know that I would not be shunned by the RV community if I made my own awning!

Thanks Gary! I sort of knew that when I started this query, which is why I was concerned about leaks, etc. I guess I don't really know what a slide topper IS...I think I always ASSUMED it was protection from leaks. For some reason, when I was imagining sewing up one, it changed into an awning in my mind! It seems I should be doing more reading about RVs in general, and less searching for "The One" on RVTrader! (Besides which, I read some advice somewhere that said to never attend an RV show within a year after you purchase, because you will surely find one you like better...so I could be engaged in an endless process of looking and waiting and looking.)  I think I should just concentrate on getting the house ready, read the general RV books I have collected, and pick a date to purchase, in the hopes that 'The One' will be nearby at that time. I have noticed that in the past week or so, more motorhomes are showing up locally. For a month or two, it seemed like only TTs and fifth-wheels were around.

Also Gary...do you have any thoughts on whether Damons tend to have more electrical issues?

I guess I don't really know what a slide topper IS...I think I always ASSUMED it was protection from leaks.

Actually, it has nothing to do with leak protection. It's provided to keep leaves, twigs and other debris from falling on top of the slide while you're in the campsite. Instead it lands on the topper and comes off when the slide is pulled in, as the topper rolls up. Otherwise you'd have to get up there before retracting, each time, to clean off the top of the slide, so that debris doesn't damage the topper and/or its seals.

Actually it is only there for leak protection. If leaves and stuff get on top of the slide and the slide is retracted it can damage the seal and cause a leak.

Also Gary...do you have any thoughts on whether Damons tend to have more electrical issues?

Not that I'm aware of. We don't see any more Damon complaints here than any other brand.  I'm not a fan of the Damons of that era because the interior fit & finish was not up to my (or my wife's) personal standards, but others have found them satisfactory.

Good to know, Gary. I actually fell in love with a '99 Holiday Rambler Vacationer, but the dealer sold it at auction before I could get there. (It was out of town.) This Damon was the closest 'second' to it--in terms of interior layout--that I've seen.

And SeilerBird, that is EXACTLY what I remember reading! I think I had the impression, though, that slider tops were solid...(maybe from watching the Leisure Travel Vans videos awhile back?) I wouldn't have expected a damaged one to look like torn fabric.

Hope I don't offend the Damon owners, but IMO a Vacationer is head & shoulders above an Intruder.

A coach that originally cost $10,000 or so more will be a substantially better built coach, yet the price difference at 10 years of age is negligible.

On the "only for leak protection 'or 'not for leak protection' argument, I have to vote for the 'not' side. My 3 are a plastic mesh material which lets all the water through to the slide roof. Not much protection from roof leaks there, unless as both posters have said, they prevent damage to the seals from leaves, sticks etc. when slides are pulled in.

MsLizzie said:
You are a handy guy, JFD; do you do house-painting??? Anyway, thanks much for the tips! I'm sure I will have more urgent costs, so it's nice to know that I would not be shunned by the RV community if I made my own awning!

Well, this house, no.. I can not get a proper high gloss finish.

Sticks and Bricks.. YES, I did paint my own house, and my parents house, and I did Roofing professionally for 7 years, and I can sharpen things, And I sold paint, and told cops where to go and a few other things.. Listen to the song If I Were A Carpenter... Have done every job mentioned,, Old farm boy so I have even shoveled political speeches...(The stuff the bull left behind).

A few summers ago I was talking with a professional RV tech.. (There are limits to what I will do to YOUR RV),  And I told here I wished to watch (in case I ever need to do it to MY RV) as I had never done or seen that job done before.. She replied I have not either but how hard can it be, It's Mechanical"  We both laughed because that is just about exactly how I'd say it had our rolls been reversed.

Now we both know how to do it.

That "how hard can it be?" attitude comes in mighty handy. I've certainly adopted it at times, but have been trying to cultivate it and integrate it into my very BEING for years...(that need comes from being overly domesticated as a child, I think.) You are indeed a handy guy! I should have been more attentive when my father was fixing things around the house, but there was usually a lot of loud cursing involved...best to stay out of the way!

And I WAS talking about sticks 'n bricks painting! Of course, if I would just get off the computer, this house would already be ready to rent or sell---so that I can finally get on the road! I don't know why I think RVTrader is going to have something new every 2 hours, and then there's all the RV-related youtube videos to watch!

Okay, I'm going to shut this thing down for awhile, and tile the hallway. Thanks John!

The most fun I ever had painting a house was assisting a professional.. It was a 2 full story with full attic house and we were painting the very highest parts of the house.... We were standing on the ground however, No ladder.  Just a roller with a very very long handle.

When it ran dry he'd lower it down, I'd catch it near the roller and place it in the pan,, then once re-loaded I'd "Launch" it back up and he would continue the job.. Always fun working with someone who knows his business.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom