Western Loop Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dverstra...thanks for sharing about trip along UP. I spent many summers in my youth with my grandparents who had a camp up that way at Canadian Lakes. We would drive up to shores of UP and ferry across to Makinaw Island and watched progression of bridge build. We are planning an RV trip that way for next summer and appreciate your review of a couple of campgrounds. Send more on your trip.

Steve & Linda
Some of my earliest memories are of the size of that bridge. Our family rode the car ferry to the UP and the ferry route was close to the bridge as they were building it. Looking up to that structure still sticks in my mind. While you are UP there, stop on the south side under the bridge and visit the Mackinac Bridge Authority building. It has some great photos of the bridge under construction.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Bridge construction.jpg
    Bridge construction.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 24
On Friday, we took Hwy 70 from Woodruff and headed straight west. It was a quiet trip through the North Woods. Trees, trees and more trees interspersed with a lot of small lakes. Not a lot of human habitation here. National forest was the norm. Eventually we reached civilization and found a place to shop and get fuel. All across the state we wanted to stop at a cheese store. After all, we were in Wisconsin, right? Finally...a CHEESE STORE. I didn't realize how big a cheese store could be. You could get lost in there. It was Burnett Dairy on HWY 70 near Alpha, Wi (I think). MaryAnne went inside to look and I saw this big, beautiful, wide open fuel lane. Everyone who fuels a 40 footer towing a car dreams of this sight. A large open parking lot that is easy to turn into. In the middle of it is a couple of fuel lanes with nobody in them. The only minus was I had to use the credit card 3 times since it only allowed $124 each time. The receipt machine at the pump wasn't working and I went in the store to get them. While they were printing out the receipts, I noticed a room at the back of the store. A "Beer Barn". Awesome. Time for a couple of 12 packs of Leinenkugel Oktoberfest.

Once Hwy 70 crosses in Minnesota, the road turned rough. We decided to take the Interstate to Minneapolis. We are currently staying at the Maple Grove KOA awaiting our grandaughter Veronica's Christening on Sunday. Our DIL is from Minneapolis and wanted her Christened there. Today we will visit a Weaver's Guild Store and maybe I will hit a couple of buckets of balls at a local driving range.

We made it to the Weavers Guild of Minnesota store and gallery, eventually. But first, I had to negotiate the football traffic at the University of Minnesota. Luckily, we were there 3 hours before game time. Anyway, if you are into the fiber arts, this is the place for you. I scored some serious "Brownie Points" for finding this gem for MaryAnne.

Next stop was the Blue Bamboo Quilt store. When we arrived, I walked MaryAnne into the front door and thought "This will take a while". I have one question, though. Why don't they provide a " Significant Other Area" complete with sports magazines and a TV? Just a couple of chairs in a corner with coffee would work. After all, we did bring "our wallet".  Anyway, I headed back to the car and grabbed the Ipad. A good book had been previously loaded on it for just such an occasion. 8) After about 20 minutes, I received a text from MaryAnne. It read "I'm in heaven..I need a few more minutes". Obviously, I had time for another chapter.

We went back to the motorhome to meet our kids.  Son (Dave) and DIL (Lisa) dropped off Will and the "Soon to be Christened" Veronica. We had offered to babysit for a while so they could go to a movie. While we were babysitting, Jake (2nd son and soon to be Godparent) and Ashley (First grandaughter and soon to be Godparent) arrived from their 12 hour drive from Michigan. Dave and Lisa returned from the movie and we had "Family Dinner" in Minnesota on the picnic table. Life is Great in Minnesota.

We left our site at the KOA and proceeded down the byways of Minnesota. No complaints on the roads. As we were approaching our destination, Lake Thompson Rec Area, I went against my better judgement and folllowed what the GPS said. As I was making the turn, I realized that I had not seen any sign for Lake Thompson Rec Area. First mistake. I proceeded down the road anyway and when it said to make a right turn there was nothing but a cowpath. Shucks!!!! I'd say something else but it might violate the "Terms of Service" of this website but it begins with an SH. Anyway, since there was nowhere to turn around (at least we were on a paved road) I followed pavement till I got back to where we were in the first place only 30 miles later. :mad: :mad: :mad: Eventually, we arrived at the campground. It was worth the extra miles and then some. There are about 4 other campers here in a total of 100 sites or so. We are lakeside with nobody in our viewpoint. Time for a Leinenkugel. Life is Good in South Dakota!!

I hate it when I don't go with my gut and instead follow the GPS.

It seems that "lakeside" comes complete with skeeters and mayflies. I couldn't believe all of the mayflies. Isn't that supposed to be earlier in the summer? After vacuuming the little critters in the morning and emptying the little handheld vacuum of it's swarm, we left the campsite. I drove for 150 miles in the fog. It seems the weather has cooled. ;D I took Hwy 14 across the state. When I got to Pierre, I decided to take the through route instead of the bypass. A sign that said 11'3" stopped me cold. I turned around in a neighborhood and proceeded back to the Bypass Route. Shouldn't they have said something before the bypass route? It was smooth sailing after that. I had called ahead to Badlands National Park but was unable to reserve within the next 72 hours. They said "First come first served". Since we arrived later in the day, there were no electric sites available. Use of generators was prohibited. I know...I'm a sissy but we proceeded to the KOA for a FHU site. The dogs will enjoy this place since it has a fenced "No Leash" Area that they can romp in. I played with them for a while by letting them herd me around. The herding instinct is strong in the Corgi breed. I still have some Leinenkugel left, so Times are great in the Badlands. 8)

If you can, take the time to drive your CRV around the back roads of the Badlands and down to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation (Wounded Knee).  There's a lot to see there that is commonly overlooked.  Right across the road from the site of the Wounded Knee massacre is a museum with a very different view of the history of the Sioux and the white man's impact on them.  When we were there 3 years ago, we even attended a "pow wow" at the local school.  It was amazing watching the dancers and seeing their native costumes.  I didn't see another white man in the entire gymnasium.  It was food for thought.

Tom
Thanks for the "heads up" on Wounded Knee. We'll try to squeeze that in. Thinking of staying here an extra day since it is supposed to snow in Hill City tomorrow :mad:.  Not sure if it will be any better here, though.

We did stay that extra day in the Badlands. We're glad that we did. 6 - 8 inches of snow fell in Hill City last night. As we were coming into the Black Hills, several RVs were coming down with plenty of snow on their tops. It pays to watch the forecast and adjust your schedule to it.

While in the Badlands, we took our toad (Honda CRV, on the southern loop to Scenic, SD. On the way there, MaryAnne plotted a course to the top of Sheep Mountain (unimproved gravel seasonal road). I was skeptical. In MY CRV? Oh well, here we go. 3 miles of somewhat washboard road later, we turn a corner and see the road up. Not too bad as long as we don't meet anyone coming down. Luckily, MaryAnne is on the side of the road that doesn't have a guardrail.  ;D. About a mile after we reached the top there was a turnaround with an Awesome vista. We just sat there on a couple of rocks like a couple of kids and looked out from our viewpoint. Not another tourist in sight. I guess that I should listen to her more often. Don't tell her that I said that.

While in the Black Hills, we really want to spend some time in Custer SP driving the Wildlife Loop, Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road. We've never seen Crazy Horse so that is on our list. Other spots are Jewel Cave, Mammoth Site for a 2nd visit, Mt. Rushmore (of course) for a 2nd visit. We have been to Deadwood and Devil's Tower before but might fit that in.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

>>Awesome vista. We just sat there on a couple of rocks like a couple of kids and looked out from our viewpoint. Not another tourist in sight.<<

That's why many of us tow Jeeps...And what we try to tell people who don't tow what they are missing, especially when they say they don't need a toad because their RV will go anywhere.<G>

Yesterday, we took the toad and toured in Custer State Park. All I can say is "WOW". This park is huge and there is something to take a picture of around most corners. We started out from Hill City and took the Needles Highway. At first there are some twists and turns and you think "This is cool". Then you begin seeing some of the rock formations and go through a tunnel that you think is pretty small. Wait for it...the tunnels get smaller and longer. Suddenly, you reach the "Needle's Eye" , stop the car and get out, and be amazed. What a view! During busy times, I could see a real traffic jam here.

After Needles Highway, we headed for the Wildlife Loop. Before we got there, there was a turnoff labelled Mt. Coolidge Firetower. What better place to see vistas from than a firetower. Up we went and up and up. MaryAnne was on the outside edge (no railings here) and had to look away everytime an approaching car came and I had to drive the right edge. She feels that it is unfair that the driver is always in the middle of the road. It was only a mile long but that gravel road felt like five miles of twists and turns. Sure enough a beautiful vista awaited us complete with an observation deck. In the distance, you could see Mt. Rushmore, Harney Peak, Needles Highway, and Crazy Horse. It was worth the drive up.

We went around the Wildlife Loop next. First we saw whitetail deer next to the road munching on the grasses. Speaking of Grasses, did you know that there are National Grasslands? I didn't until stopping at the National Grassland Office in Wall, SD. Back on topic...we reached the southern end of the loop and saw the Buffalo corrals in the distance. Next, we came upon a lone buffalo walking down the middle of the road causing a Buffalo Jam. He walked right past MaryAnne's side of the car. Maybe 6 inches from her window. He didn't pay much attention to all of these cars. He's seen them before. Besides, he owned this stretch of highway. Down the road a little we met a group of Begging Burros. I didn't see anyone feeding them but I'm sure there is a reason they hang out in the middle of the road. We finished the Wildlife Loop and had a great lunch at the Legion Lake Diner. We drove into the town of Custer and headed north past Crazy Horse to the campground. We'll save Iron Mountain Road for the next day. The pups were happy to see us and we took them for a walk around the park. Life is Good in the Black Hills!

Attachments

• First Tunnel.jpg
    First Tunnel.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Needles.jpg
    Needles.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Small Tunnel.jpg
    Small Tunnel.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Buffalo.jpg
    Buffalo.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Burros.jpg
    Burros.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Crazy Horse.jpg
    Crazy Horse.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 11
I forgot to mention one of our personal favorite "finds" on this trip. Mary Anne was reading about the Badlands and saw that there had been an area that the government had "procured" for the War Effort. It had been used as a training area for gunnery during WWII. Wait a minute..my dad had been a tail gunner on a B17 and I remembered him talking about gunnery school in South Dakota. At the White River Visitor Center, we found a plaque for this. I took a picture of it and sent it to my brother. I was a littled choked up over that one.

Attachments

• B17.jpg
    B17.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 18
We just got back from Custer about a week or so ago. We stayed at French Creek RV Park on Washington St, right in Custer. When you take US 385 North out of Custer, in about a mile after you climb the big grade, look right and you will see Crazy Horse.

The wildlife Loop is always great. We were in Custer 4 days, and drove it every late afternoon. We know that Loop by heart now. I think we've driven it 20 times in the last 6 years.

Safe travels,

Stan

If you stay at French Creek, don't worry about the host who packs on his hip. He's harmless.

parttymer said:
The wildlife Loop is always great. We were in Custer 4 days, and drove it every late afternoon. We know that Loop by heart now. I think we've driven it 20 times in the last 6 years.
Watch those wild donkeys.  They'll make asses of themselves every time. :D

Molaker said:
Watch those wild donkeys.  They'll make asses of themselves every time. :D

To celebrate seeing those asses, we stopped by the Prairie Berry Winery and bought some Red Ass Rhubarb wine. Oh and we tasted and bought a dozen others. We are ready for a steak dinner now! The trouble with a wine tasting is that you want a few of each. ;D

Terry A. Brewer said:
>>Awesome vista. We just sat there on a couple of rocks like a couple of kids and looked out from our viewpoint. Not another tourist in sight.<<

That's why many of us tow Jeeps...And what we try to tell people who don't tow what they are missing, especially when they say they don't need a toad because their RV will go anywhere.<G>

Really thinking about renting one of those once we reach Moab. What are your thoughts?

I have been following your trip with great interest, just one thought would be great if you could post some pictures of your trip that way we could see some of the places you visited as well as read about them.
Billy Bob 

Billy Bob
I've added a few pics to the more recent posts. It won't allow me to edit further back in time. I'll post a few pics of earlier in the trip now

Attachments

• Lake Michigan.jpg
    Lake Michigan.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 16
  • Indian Lake.jpg
    Indian Lake.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Shhep Mtn Map.jpg
    Shhep Mtn Map.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Sheep Mtn Rd.jpg
    Sheep Mtn Rd.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Sheep Mtn Vista.jpg
    Sheep Mtn Vista.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 19
>>Really thinking about renting one of those once we reach Moab. What are your thoughts? <<

I think it would be a great idea.... Wouldn't be surprised if after renting you traded your CRV for a Jeep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom