Anyone having problems accessing yahoo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

It's been slow for several days and today it will not load.  Initially yahoo mail was very slow.  Yesterday I couldn't open mail.  Today I can't even get my home page to open.
If not a general outage, I'd appreciate some suggestions on what I may need to do.  I have an IMAC that's about 8 years old.  The wife's Macbook Air is also unable to open yahoo and mail.  Her's is relatively new.   

Works fine here.
So, not a general problem.
Are other websites working ok?
Apple folks will have to weigh in on those unique devices, though if you have a different browser you might try it.

Yahoo is the only thing that won't load.  I've tried Safari, Google Chrome and Firefox.  Nada.  Wife also has a newer PC.  Nada.  Maybe the area.  Hopefully as we move on we'll be able to connect. 

I have trouble with Yahoo on some wifi connections. I was thinking it is a busy site, too much going on. I don't mean busy with traffic, but just too much BS going on behind the curtain, on a slow connection. I'll let a computer geek (meant in a good way) explain it better.  ;)

Bill

Bill you answered it pretty well and dead on.  I am jumping to the conclusion that you are using Yahoo as your home page which is causing you a problem right now.  There is a lot going on in the background on Yahoo home pages especially if the user configured a lot of extra let's call them features.  A couple of suggestions to get you on the internet when on a slower connection.  Create a short-cut to your browser just loading Google.com or whatever search engine your prefer.  Pretty well bear bones but will get you to the internet without having to load all of the other features on Yahoo when on a slow connection.  Another short-cut you may want to create would be one directly to your email.  Each of those suggestions would bypass the extra data being downloaded and updated when using your normal home page.

You did not mention the OS on your machine.  Here are the steps on a Windows machine.

1. Right click on your Desktop anywhere.
2. Click on [New]
3. Select [Shortcut]
4. Within the text box "Type the location of the item" enter www.Google.com or if you want to go directly to your email login enter "https://login.yahoo.com/".  Either will allow you streamline access when on slower connections.

Hope that helps.

If this just started, it's likely a temporary routing problem with your ISP or his upstream connection.  But, as Bill mentions, the Yahoo pages are very complex and do a lot of scripting in the background.  Perhaps Yahoo has a problem with one or more of their scripts.  I would report it to Yahoo, for all the good that will do, but if enough people are seeing the problem it might get fixed.  If it's a Yahoo problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.  We usually use our Verizon Air Card when traveling.  Since I couldn't connect with Yahoo, I tried the parks wifi last night.  Yahoo came in immediately.  Was able to open mail with no problems.  This morning, I plugged the air card into my computer and everything works.  Then I put it in the Cradle Point Router.  Everything works.  Whatever was messing things up yesterday seems to have been resolved. 

Gregg, I am using a MAC.  The OS is 10.6.8. 

Ned, it could be Verizon but not sure why other sites would load.  I've tried contacting Yahoo a number of times and have no idea if they even get my message.  Sometimes I think the messages go into a Yahoo Black Hole.             

It's probable that there was a routing problem from Verizon to Yahoo that wouldn't affect other sites.  It may not even have been Verizon's router but another one upstream from them.

Yahoo has a lot of users so from time to time .... Idiots try to overload it.

I have not really noticed a slow down, but the odds of my noticing one are slim.

Called Verizon this AM.  It took a senior tech but they were able to reset something and voila, Yahoo loads.  Two hours later it was back to the same problem.  Was out for the afternoon. Came back and still would not load.  Disconnected, reconnected and problem solved.  At least for the time being.  So it looks like Verizon is the culprit.  We pay $150 a month for our two phones and the air card.  We'd switch but have unlimited on both the phones and air card.  However, if there are other services that work for extended travelers like us, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks

Gary   

I have heard that some "unlimited" plan providers do a "throttle back" on services if they consider use above some norm. Could Verizon be slowing you down kinda on purpose?

Good point Bob.  Hadn't thought about that.  While we've had the air card for 6 years, we didn't start with unlimited.  Not exactly sure how our plan got change and didn't see any point in complaining. ;)  Still, we have not used the air card much over the past two years so even though we've had unlimited, it shouldn't have caused Verizon any pain.  Now we've been on the road for two months and my DW has used it to watch Netflix once or twice.  The last time was only a few days before the problems.  It's very likely they did throttle back our service. 

I've asked the question about throttling back and the answer that I got was that it is not solely on your usage but a combination of actual demands on the tower and your usage.  Essentially load balancing by throttling back heavy users more than typical users.   

Another issue is that if your card is 6 years old, it might be 3G.  The newer faster standard is 4G which is a huge difference.  I've seen some claim 500% faster.  If you have a newer smartphone with 5G, you may want to try getting Hot Spot on the phone.  You can have it activated by simply calling Verizon.  I use Hot Spot on my phone when on the road and it is actually faster than my DSL connection at my office per speed tests.    If it does not make a difference, just have them turn it back off after running a couple of tests.  Just a thought.

Just a side note. I use my phone to stream Amazon Prime wireless with a Roku box and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom