Keeping Fridge Cool down the road.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cowhead

We are going on a trip this weekend and its going to take about 5hrs to get there.  I am wondering if I load up my fridge and than put it over to propane if it will operate on propane going down the road or if this is not a good idea.  The second question I have is when I go to put it on gas it takes about 10 min of me clicking back and forth from gas to off for it to stay on and not read check.  Any idea what might be wrong?  The furnace and stove and water heater fire right up! 

Thanks!

I have to store my fifth wheel at a storage lot so the night before a trip I go out and turn the fridge on using propane.  I travel with the fridge running on propane everytime we take a trip.  I believe a majority of RVers travel with the fridge on propane.

I can?t help you with the check light issue, sorry.

I guess i just wasnt sure if it was safe to travel with the fridge running on propane..  How much propane will a fridge use under normal conditions?

Yes, you can leave the refrigerator running on propane while traveling.  It uses so little propane that you won't notice it compared to other appliances like the water heater or furnace.  Even the stove uses much more.

The question has been answered, but be cautious when fueling your rig. Some States have a law against any propane appliance running while fueling.

There should be no open flames and no sparking devices in use when fueling your vehicle. That includes the refrigerator, water heater, oven and furnace in the RV, all of which use either pilot lights or DSI (automatic spark ignition) and can spark or make flames at any instant.  They all should be turned off when fueling.

You may hear that you are required to turn off the propane tank when fueling, but that is incorrect.  Back in the day, it was a shortcut for turning off all flames and pilot lights at once, but the widespread use of DSI has made this ineffective. In fact, turning off the LP tank will actually cause DSI appliances to make sparks repeatedly, increasing the risk of a fuel explosion.

Your fridge alone should run for a few months off of one 30# propane bottle. (Educated guess).

I typically light mine up day before and cool the fridge down, pack and then run the fridge all the time I'm traveling. The only time I turn it off is during fuel stops or multiple stop longer than a few minutes. Then I just leave it off till I'm either moving again or at camp.

As posted, almost all experienced RVrs travel with their fridge on propane, other than those with domestic fridges.  We just put ours on Auto and it switches between 110 and lb when the need arises.
    As for the problem you indicated over starting the pilot, from my old PUP days, it may well be a bit of dust has accumulated in the lighting area.  Try vacuuming it out, then blowing it clear Worked just fine after the cleaning.

Ed

The day before we travel I put about a dozen bottle of spring water in the freezer to freeze. When we leave we shut down everything and we transfer  the small amount of food we take from the house fridge to the freezer just before leaving. The frozen water keeps everything nice and cold during our days travel. Upon arrival we fire up the fridge and in a couple of hours transfer everything from the freezer to the fridge, works for us, just saying......... In the process of freezing water now heading out in the morning for Turning Stone in upstate NY.

Funny... I did that this last trip is used a couple of 1 liter Pepsi bottles and a 2 liter Pepsi bottle for the freezer. The 2 little 1 liter bottles scattered in the food area kept things cold for the day while we traveled from store to store with the RV gather up stuff as we went home. Most of the parking lots are not level so the frozen bottles worked awesome and keep the fridge cold.

makes me think of my not so long ago days with the popup, where I couldn't reach the fridge with the top down.  Would travel with stuff in the cooler and transfer it at the camp site.  Now that i can get to the fridge, and paid big for it, I plan to use it!

It is a good idea though.... & something i practice at home in a slightly different way.  Haven't done it yet in the RV but thanks for the reminder.... will next time!  basically, i like to keep the freezer full, and the fridge box as much as possible, to maximize the cold mass and minimize the air volume in there.....

The delay in ignition is probably just air in the gas line. Try lighting a burner on the stove prior to turning on the fridge. The burner uses a whole lot more propane than the fridge, and will get rid of the air faster.

?The only time I turn it off is during fuel stops or multiple stop longer than a few minutes. Then I just leave it off till I'm either moving again or at camp.?

Michael I understand the no flame at the fuel stop but could you explain the rest to me?
I turn my frig on up to two days ahead and except for most of the time when I fuel it doesn't get turned off till I get home well except to defrost about monthly If it isn't running going down the road it isn?t making ice cubes.
Bill

Ok. Like pulling into a WalMart parking lot. I know its not level so do you leave your fridge on while your in shopping knowing you might not be back out for at least 1 hour? How about stopping to getting a bite to eat at a restaurant do you leave your fridge on knowing you might not be back to the RV for about 30-40 minutes? So knowing I'm not parked level nor planning on moving for at least 30 minutes I just leave the fridge turned off.

The manual says to turn it off when you are not level. A repairman also told me this was critical for longevity. If you aren't parked level, turn the fridge off until you are level again. This will add years to your fridge life. The rolling down the highway keeps the fridge stuff shook up enough that it doesn't clog up like it will when parked on a slope or hill.

Also keep the freezer full and the fridge is tons happier. I very rarely buy frozen foods, but I discovered a plastic shoe box fits in my Dometic freezer perfectly. I put 2 trays of ice in to freeze, then twice daily or more, empty them into the shoebox until it's full. After that I keep it topped up at every chance, so I always have a big shoebox full of ice for drinks.

When I bring it out for company to refill their drinks, they always ask if I have an ice maker. I do! It's ME.  ;D

I also keep stainless steel tumblers in the freezer door and they slip nicely into a foam drink cooler which keeps them from condensating when you set them down. Like having a built-in coaster. The icy cold tumblers are heavenly on hot days and the ice lasts even longer.

A non-RV friend showed up with a half gallon of some half melted ice cream for dessert, and it was easy enough to just scoop the soft drippy ice cream into 3  Rubbermaid twist and seal containers then remove some ice  and plop them in the shoebox with the remaining ice. Astonishingly by the time we finished dinner and served the ice cream, it was super frozen again, nothing drippy about it at all. Usually I just buy the pint sized ice cream because it fits perfectly in the Dometic freezer.

When I defrost the freezer (I am fulltiming) I transfer the shoebox of ice and anything else I pile on top of it, then move it to the refrigerator section, then I leave just the freezer door open and the fridge turned off. In about a half hour or so, it's completely thawed out, I can mop up the water with microfiber towels until the freezer is bone dry, then I turn the fridge back on and transfer the shoebox of ice and other stuff back to the freezer. Usually it is still frozen solid and the fridge temp is the same. But the "wet" ice will stick to itself, but later you can fix that.

If you do this shoebox method, then buy an ice pick, cause now and then you might need to chop the ice in the shoebox to loosen it up, but never do this in the freezer. Set the shoebox of ice on a cutting board and gently chop with the ice pick to loosen up the cubes. If you hit it too hard and knock a hole in shoebox, the cutting board will protect your counter top from damage. The plastic shoebox will still work as an ice bucket even with the hole in it, but Dollar Tree sells plastic shoeboxes for $1 so getting a new one isn't a big issue. I have to toss out the shoebox lid, but ironically it fits the Dometic freezers perfectly as an ice bucket accumulator.

The shoebox can be used for projects, like mixing 2 part epoxy on it, then tossing it.

I light mine the night before leaving, and shut it off when I get back home. As far as fuel stops go, the fridge is 20' away from the gas pump, and on the opposite side of the truck. No, I don't shut it off. I'm also pretty sure it won't hurt it to be out of level for an hour while you run in and do your shopping. I understand that this isn't the recommended method of doing things, it's just how I've done it for the last 15 years or so.

the fridge is 20' away from the gas pump, and on the opposite side of the truck.

But, but.... what about the other guy on the other side of you that spills his gasoline all over the place and the fumes drift slowly over towards your trailer.....  Hmmmm.

Alfa38User said:
But, but.... what about the other guy on the other side of you that spills his gasoline all over the place and the fumes drift slowly over towards your trailer.....  Hmmmm.
Hmmmm.  Since I always stop at the first pump, my trailer is always at least 20' away from him as well. That is more than enough air space for any fumes to dissipate. It's not like we are in an enclosed space, we are out in the open air. You can turn yours off if you want too, I will continue to leave mine on. If I blow up sometime, feel free to tell me "I told you so".  :)

You can turn yours off if you want too, I will continue to leave mine on. If I blow up sometime, feel free to tell me "I told you so".

I'm sure it won't make any difference to you, but that practice is illegal in nearly all states.

Granted that the chance of an explosion is tiny, but the result is catastrophic if the one-in-a-million chance does happen. And you are risking several others as well as yourself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom