This morning's CA earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Happened to be talking about earthquakes in another topic just yesterday. Around 3:20am today a 6.1 quake hit near Napa. Significant damage and some fires.

Felt just a ripple here. I was awake, one of the dogs sat up, I felt a movement of the bed, heard some creaking, looked up and saw the pull cords for the ceiling light/fan moving. That's when I realized it was an earthquake. Went on the USGS web site, but there seemed to be some confusion there; They've since got the story straightened out.

Tom said:
Happened to be talking about earthquakes in another topic just yesterday. Around 3:20am today a 6.1 quake hit near Napa. Significant damage and some fires.

Felt just a ripple here. I was awake, one of the dogs sat up, I felt a movement of the bed, heard some creaking, looked up and saw the pull cords for the ceiling light/fan moving. That's when I realized it was an earthquake. Went on the USGS web site, but there seemed to be some confusion there; They've since got the story straightened out.

ABC news is showing films of the damage and has reported some injuries and fires.
yesterday there was a 3.0 down here near LA (not newsworthy) but things are rumbling...is the Big One coming? 

A "quake expert" on TV this morning said we should "normally" expect 3 like this every 10 years; We haven't, which is why they keep saying we're overdue.

Fox News is reporting that a mobile home park has gone up in flames due to a broken gas main..

Local news reports a few of the mobile homes were lost, but there may be more mobile home parks in the area. They were interviewing a resident live on air. Two of his neighbors lost homes, but his was fine. An issue was lack of water due to broken water main. Fire crews pumped water from a couple of swimming pools.

Fire Chief just clarified - 4 homes lost in one MH park, and an undefined number in another park. They brought in water tenders, but have chosen to let several homes continue burning to conserve water.

Lots of damage to old masonary structures and masonary facades in downtown Napa. Some roadway damage on nearby highways, but only temporary road closure.

Napa hospital reports 70 arrivals, mostly cuts/lacerations and bruising, one broken hip. Fortunately, no known fatalities.

We have several friends in the Napa and surrounding areas. Home phones and cell service was down most of the day. I was finally able to connect with three families, and confirmed that they're all OK. Damage is significant, and I offered our home, our boat, and our coach to all three families. But, they're all comfortable staying at their homes tonight.

the news is showing several historic Napa downtown buildings that are damaged beyond repair, kinda shocking to see the damage.

The news is, unfortunately, focusing on a few areas:
  • Downtown Napa, with it's brick and masonry facade.
  • The mobile home parks that lost several homes.
  • The hospital that set up a triage tent.

I live out in that area. Could have been a lot worse. Woke up with the bed shaking big time. Most stores with shelves were left with a lot of goods piled on the floor. Local Safeway opened mid afternoon.

Glad you're OK Rodger. Where do you live.

I'm in Vallejo, just south of Napa. Some structural damage in Napa and Vallejo - old masonry buildings. My house was ok. Actually visited an RV show at the fairgrounds today.

Scared my mother so much she was afraid to get out of bed.

One couple I talked with lives 2 miles from the epicenter and another couple live close by; Their houses got hit pretty good hard. Both had chimneys come down, one landed in a living room. One guy told me "we got our butts kicked", although he referred to overall damage as "minor". As he walked me through the damage, he mentioned "the motorcycles were on top of the Corvette". The other couple live in Sonoma, and they weren't affected very much beyond falling flowerpots.

While being interviewed on the radio, one of the USGS scientists said that, in addition to distance from the epicenter,  it also depends on the direction of the waves. They're still trying to figure out if this happened on the Napa fault, which ends right by the Napa airport, or another fault. They needed more data from aftershocks and field trips to help figure it out.

About the broken wine bottles, that only happens after you drink the wine. The bottles are 100% quake proof.  When the quake awoke me from bed, I thought I was missing out on a wild party next door. I didn't figure out it was an earthquake until after I finished my bottle of wine.  (Day after humor).

For sure, I never met a motorcycle that would park his vet on top of his motorcycle, but the other way works.  :)

To my knowledge, no RVs were lost, just in case anyone was wondering/

(please insert guys after motorcycle in the previous post)

Back
Top Bottom