This morning's CA earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really surprised there was so little liquefaction since the quake occurred so close to the mud flats of San Pablo Bay.

Aye Margi, nobody has mentioned liquefaction (yet). This morning, a couple of us were talking about the marina district of San Francisco during the Loma Prieta quake; The district was built on 'reclaimed' land (aka dirt fill), and it liquified during that quake.

Liquefaction is discussed in the article I referenced above.

In Vallejo

On a less technically interesting basis, 7 older buildings in vallejo were red-tagged as likely to collapse/in-habitable. Probably brick and mortar related. Surrounding streets have been closed off.

"Thirty commercial buildings in Vallejo have been yellow-tagged for partial specified use, including clean-up," city officials said.

There were 13 water main breaks in the city but water has been restored to all residents.

Vallejo residents can follow the city's post-earthquake status updates on Vallejo's Facebook and Nextdoor feeds and at www.ci.vallejo.ca.us/EarthquakeStatus.

Admin edit: We understand the desire to quote the "official" word, but please read our forum Rules re copyright rules and succinct quoting. The remainder of your message was deleted.

Ned said:
Liquefaction is discussed in the article I referenced above.

Reading the article you linked is what got me thinking about liquefaction, Ned.  The article said " perfect scenario for liquefaction" yet I had not heard of that happening in this instance.  We lived in Sonoma County from 1976 to 1989 (three years in Petaluma and the rest in Sebastopol).  Liquefaction was a subject of concern for the emergency operation center planners in Petaluma.  I was also surprised when Foster City didn't liquefy during the Loma Prieta quake. 

The lack of liquefaction was due to the drought conditions.  Not enough water in the soil.

California's extended drought means that the ground is painfully dry, limiting liquefaction that commonly occurs when saturated soils are shaken.

Let me understand ... having read the article (I didn't), when liquifaction comes up, we're referred to the article. Then we discover that liquifaction is not a factor in this case, and are given the reason for lack of liquifaction. Why couldn't we say that up front  ???

A simple search in the browser for liquifaction in the article revealed the statement.  It took all of about 30 seconds :)  I gave the article reference before anyone mentioned liquifaction.  That's only a minor point, the rest of the article is worth reading if you want to understand the origins of the quake.

if you want to keep track of recent earthquakes here's this.....

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/

We are in drought conditions...the only liquification is a bottle of yes, wine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom