Class A or C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonlowehvac

Hi everyone,

New to the site. In the spring I plan on purchasing a used RV in the upcoming spring (March-April/2015). We have looked at a few class c's and we are fond of them. It will be used for seasonal camping for our family (2 adults and a 7 year old). Our limit is $15k. We are looking for something that is not going make us gas poor. Should we go with an a or a c?  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Go look at the floor plans and see what works best for you. You may pick up a Class A in the same year range for less money as Class C's tend to get more money because a lot of people think Class A's are harder to drive. Do a lot of looking before you buy. A Class A gives you more livable space than a Class C of the same length. I have owned both and will now take a Class A over a Class C.

A Class C may allow you to get by without a toad but I hated breaking camp every time I wanted to go somewhere.

I would advise you buy the newest unit you can afford, but beyond that, I would recommend a Class C for 2 reasons: Construction and  operating costs.

Construction:
If you buy a large Class A on a greyhound bus frame, you are getting a very solid, very tested, very well-thought out frame (that is very expensive to drive tho).  If you get a smaller Class A, it well could be on a unique frame designed by the RV manufacturer, used only for 1 model.  I would be the least comfortable driving one of these, considering how well it will fare in a "medium" accident/ wreck.  A Class C will be on a (usually Ford or GM) ladder cut-away van" frame, designed for a step-van/ delivery truck/ large "U-haul" truck.  There are tens of thousands of these around, they've been in many wrecks, and the frames are well-tested designed. 

Operating Costs:
I drive a 22-ft Class C on a GM ladder frame chassis.  It has plenty of sleeping space for my family of 6.  It's the smallest size my family will be able to fit inside when all 4 kids become roughly adult-sized.  We would be more comfortable in a larger rig for sure, and have less set-up time in late-night RV-lot stay-overs.  I've rented larger, and did not like it for several reasons, and most of them have to do with operating costs.  Here are my reasons.  If they don't sound important to you, then you may be a "big-rig" kinda guy (as are most of the very friendly and helpful people in this forum).  My personal reasons are:

* Gas mileage: I can drive at 63MPH and consistently get over 10MPG on the highway, or even winding mountain roads.  Most big rig guys will probably tell you they drive at 55MPH if they are at all concerned with mileage, and most get less--some far less.  Deisel rigs will have better MPG than gas rigs of the same weight, but you'll be paying a lot more for diesel than gas.
  * At this size, I can cool the entire rig with the in-the-dash A/C unit only.  Even if it's 100F outside, even if we're not TOTALLY on the highway.  Stop-and-go traffic: forget about it, we're starting the generator and running the roof-top (house) A/C.  We run our generator very little.
  * The over-the-driver bed-space is awesome.  No one going to sleep up there?  Stuff it full of bedding and storage.  Put a permanently-installed entertainment system up there.  Make up for some of the other storage space you will be missing out on in a Class C.
  * Maneuverability: This was a big one for me.  My wife and I are very comfortable driving and *parking* it.  If there is no bus/ RV parking, we can fit it into a standard parking spot, provided there is some grassy space behind the spot I can back the tail end of my rig over.  Most parking lots we've been to have at least some spots like this. 

Anyway, congratulations in your adventures ahead of you.  I hope you find the perfect rig for your family.

jasonlowehvac said:
Hi everyone,
New to the site. In the spring I plan on purchasing a used RV. We have looked at a few class c's and we are fond of them. It will be used for seasonal camping for our family (2 adults and a 7 year old). Our limit is $15k. We are looking for something that is not going make us gas poor. Should we go with an a or a c?  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I went with a class A the last time I purchased.  I saw too many Class C units that I thought were under-framed - a 29 ft class C on and E350 chassis is asking for trouble.  Every unit has a weight information sheet that shows the tare wt of the unit, the estimated operating weight, the cargo capacity and the tow capacity.  Whatever you are considering, find it and look at it.  If you're not going to have plenty of capacity to haul all your passenger, foods, drinks, gear and towables,  you could end up with some maintenance problems.  Beware of used units with big coaches on small chassis.

With a class C you are severely limits to the total amount of weight you can carry (CCC = cargo carrying capacity). Once you load up a class C with a few people and all their belongings you are usually very close to or over your CCC. Towing something isn't going to happen unless you take virtually nothing with you.

Class As have a basement so all your plumbing is not exposed like on a C so winterizing isn't as big a deal with an A.

gwcowgill said:
Go look at the floor plans and see what works best for you. You may pick up a Class A in the same year range for less money as Class C's tend to get more money because a lot of people think Class A's are harder to drive. Do a lot of looking before you buy. A Class A gives you more livable space than a Class C of the same length. I have owned both and will now take a Class A over a Class C.

A Class C may allow you to get by without a toad but I hated breaking camp every time I wanted to go somewhere.

Great Advice, thank you very much. Is the fuel consumption on a class a close to that of a class c?

chrishibbard7 said:
I would advise you buy the newest unit you can afford, but beyond that, I would recommend a Class C for 2 reasons: Construction and  operating costs.

Construction:
If you buy a large Class A on a greyhound bus frame, you are getting a very solid, very tested, very well-thought out frame (that is very expensive to drive tho).  If you get a smaller Class A, it well could be on a unique frame designed by the RV manufacturer, used only for 1 model.  I would be the least comfortable driving one of these, considering how well it will fare in a "medium" accident/ wreck.  A Class C will be on a (usually Ford or GM) ladder cut-away van" frame, designed for a step-van/ delivery truck/ large "U-haul" truck.  There are tens of thousands of these around, they've been in many wrecks, and the frames are well-tested designed. 

Hey there Molaker. I am in Canada, a tiny little province called New Brunswick. Whereabouts are you?

Operating Costs:
I drive a 22-ft Class C on a GM ladder frame chassis.  It has plenty of sleeping space for my family of 6.  It's the smallest size my family will be able to fit inside when all 4 kids become roughly adult-sized.  We would be more comfortable in a larger rig for sure, and have less set-up time in late-night RV-lot stay-overs.  I've rented larger, and did not like it for several reasons, and most of them have to do with operating costs.  Here are my reasons.  If they don't sound important to you, then you may be a "big-rig" kinda guy (as are most of the very friendly and helpful people in this forum).  My personal reasons are:

* Gas mileage: I can drive at 63MPH and consistently get over 10MPG on the highway, or even winding mountain roads.  Most big rig guys will probably tell you they drive at 55MPH if they are at all concerned with mileage, and most get less--some far less.  Deisel rigs will have better MPG than gas rigs of the same weight, but you'll be paying a lot more for diesel than gas.
  * At this size, I can cool the entire rig with the in-the-dash A/C unit only.  Even if it's 100F outside, even if we're not TOTALLY on the highway.  Stop-and-go traffic: forget about it, we're starting the generator and running the roof-top (house) A/C.  We run our generator very little.
  * The over-the-driver bed-space is awesome.  No one going to sleep up there?  Stuff it full of bedding and storage.  Put a permanently-installed entertainment system up there.  Make up for some of the other storage space you will be missing out on in a Class C.
  * Maneuverability: This was a big one for me.  My wife and I are very comfortable driving and *parking* it.  If there is no bus/ RV parking, we can fit it into a standard parking spot, provided there is some grassy space behind the spot I can back the tail end of my rig over.  Most parking lots we've been to have at least some spots like this. 

Anyway, congratulations in your adventures ahead of you.  I hope you find the perfect rig for your family.

Wow, I can't believe all of the replies in such a short period of time, I started replying to all of them, but more and more keep on coming in. I just want to offer a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has/is replied to my post. I have recieved a ton a great info and hope to recieve lots more!

If you get a smaller Class A, it well could be on a unique frame designed by the RV manufacturer, used only for 1 model.

No RV manufacturer is building custom frames for each model and most RVs, particularly smaller ones, use an industry standard chassis of some kind. All Class A gas chassis will be standard types from a chassis builder like Ford, Cheverolt (pre-1999) or Workhorse.

Is the fuel consumption on a class a close to that of a class c?

For equivalent size and weight, yes. Likewise, they are very similar to drive, in terms of handling, parking, etc. The Class A has a bit of a learning curve because the driver position is different than a pickup or van-based chassis, but it's actually easier to drive and park once you get accustomed.

I like the A over the C.  You seem to loose some space because of the cab on the Cs is only good for when driving.  Many "A"s you can swivel the driver and or the passenger seat around to give you more seating and if in the right spot that big window gives a nice view.  If you keep your speed below 65 you get better MPGs especially in a class A.  You basically have the aerodynamics of a brick.  On my class A towing a 4500lb Jeep I get about 5 to 7 MPH.  When I got the 7MPG I was averaging 55 MPH and not to hilly of terrain.  My last trip to Ouray CO we got 5.3MPG even with the mountains.  When the grade gets real steep and long (Purgatory to Ouray) we disconnected the Jeep and my wife drove it in.  I did get 4 MPH on one trip but i was pushing 70-75 MPH most of the time.  I don't do that any more.  Some people are intimidated by the big window of the A.  That is a personal thing.  A 32 foot A or C are about the same width.  Tires on a C will cost you less since they use smaller tires on 16" or 17" rims.  A Class are on 19.5" or 22.5" rims.  Seems many of the newer units are going to the 22.5" set up.  The engines are about the same.  You are looking at a Ford V10 on most units 2008 or newer.  The other engine is the Chevy 454 on older units or the 8.1L V8 on newer units.  If you are looking at the C make sure it is a Ford E450 or E550 chassis.  The Ford E350 is OK for the small Cs and Bs under 25'.  The A class are on the F53 chassis.  Most A Class gas units will have a 5000lb tow capacity where as the Cs are between 3500 lbs to 5 lbs depending on chassis.

Our first was a 22 footer. 2 kids and 2 adults. we had a great time. decided we would like a bit more space. Now run a 26 foot 1977 GMC Palm Beach. Kids are now just about adults so will be going with us less.
the 22 footer averaged 7 to 10 mpg running at around 55 mph. this was from Saint John to TN (Dollywood)
The 26 footer Just did a run to PEI we used 3/4 of a tank of fuel to get there and 3/4 to get back. We ran at about 70 mph (according to the GPS) the rig holds 50 gallons of fuel you do the math cause I stopped caring how much it takes. I am just doing my part to rid the world of fossil fuels. ;)

See ya at the pumps.

You said " It will be used for seasonal camping for our family
(2 adults and a 7 year old). Our limit is $15k".

We are retired, just the 2 of us and have a 23' Class C.
What we wanted was a seasonal vehicle with hopes of a weekend
per month in the cooler months. It has worked out well as far as
the Class C goes. Heath problems have held us back some but we
enjoy all aspects of the Class C. The size is right for us, we use a
tow dolly and have to look back to make sure the CRV is still there.

The in-laws had a 40+ ft Bounder so we are familiar with a Class A.
We both will take the Class C anytime.

Most Class Cs in the price range will be on a Ford Chassis.
Look for the E450, which is wider and has a better payload
that a Class C on the E350.

Otherwise all are built with off the shelf components.

Look it over, inspect everything carefully.
Make sure everything works and ask for all manuals.

Signs of water leaks indicate a passable expensive problem.
Look at the tire DOT dates (web sites will help you understand them).
Reject tires near 10 years old.

Hope you find what you like.

To oldme, you say you would take a class C anytime. Could you expand on that a bit? I'm curious to better understand your point of view.

oldme said:
You said " It will be used for seasonal camping for our family
(2 adults and a 7 year old). Our limit is $15k".

We are retired, just the 2 of us and have a 23' Class C.
What we wanted was a seasonal vehicle with hopes of a weekend
per month in the cooler months. It has worked out well as far as
the Class C goes. Heath problems have held us back some but we
enjoy all aspects of the Class C. The size is right for us, we use a
tow dolly and have to look back to make sure the CRV is still there.

The in-laws had a 40+ ft Bounder so we are familiar with a Class A.
We both will take the Class C anytime.

Most Class Cs in the price range will be on a Ford Chassis.
Look for the E450, which is wider and has a better payload
that a Class C on the E350.

Otherwise all are built with off the shelf components.

Look it over, inspect everything carefully.
Make sure everything works and ask for all manuals.

Signs of water leaks indicate a passable expensive problem.
Look at the tire DOT dates (web sites will help you understand them).
Reject tires near 10 years old.

Hope you find what you like.

Thank you oldme, great info!!!!!! Are you saying your prefer a Class C to a Class A?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom