Test drive: Dallas, OR to San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punomatic

Not sure I'm posting this in the right forum. MOD please move if necessary.

We made the switch from a class A MH to a TC last summer.  In July, 2013, we purchased a used Adventurer 100WSB camper and the wrong PU to haul it.  In October, 2013, I swallowed my pride and traded the wrong PU for a 2001 F350 V-10 Crew Cab with Lariat trim. Since that time, I have had the front breaks rebuilt, the left front wheel bearings replaced, the right ball joints replaced, added a beefier rear anti-sway bar and new tires.

We have made several short trips, and I have been pleased with the performance of the truck.  Two weeks ago, we left our home in northern Oregon and headed for San Diego to visit DD, SIL and the grandsons.  We returned home yesterday, and I am pleased to report that, after 2,400, miles we had not one hitch or untoward event with the PU. She ran smoothly, pulled the hills and generally comported herself well.

If you have visited our blog, you will know that we have dubbed the PU Red Ryder. DW says RR is comfortable and that she is proud to be seen in her. I was pleased that, even on long uphill pulls, the coolant temp needle never rose noticeably.  I do think I will install a tranny temp gauge, since I was curious about what was going on there.  We averaged about 10.2 mpg, which ain't great, but it is a breath of fresh air after the 6-7 we got with the 454 Chevy in our MH.

Conclusion:  This 2001 F350 with 118K miles on the clock is getting the job done to my complete satisfaction.

I'm glad things worked out the right way. It's always nice to have a successful trip. Where's the next one?

Ken

Howdy neighbor. I too learned the hard way. You can never have too much truck.  But you shur as heck can have too little

Back
Top Bottom