AC heat loss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acenjason

Hello all.:) I like to camp at high altitude in my 75 D21 Winnebago Brave. I have a kick butt heater but I don't want to waste propane. So, I was wondering if heated air is escaping out of my shut off AC unit? Does anybody know if this can happen? Its an old dometic unit. Thanks for the help in advance:)

I seriously doubt it. The A/C system is similar to the one in you home as it has an inside unit and a outside unit. They are closed together but there is no vent to the outside. I would bet you will lose more heat from the windows and the roof vent.
Bill

Some heat does indeed escape.. You can reduce it by putting a "Vent cusion" over the face of teh A/C or one of the Reflective covers that attaches with Velcro.. But frankly, very little escapes that way.

However what you have is basically a "Door" that is nothing more than a thin sheet of metal, likely steel and or some plastic.. (Mine is plastic) so some heat escapes. but there is no fresh air vent there.. You get more loss from the roof vents.  (less you cushion them wilt a lambswool pillow like I do)

Thanks:) I just wanted to be sure. :) Don't need any more propane usage than I need. It was low 30s night before last. I was able to keep it at my usual 77 ? but I am using a fair bit of propane.:)

You can save more on your propane by turning it down at night to say 55 and use a warm blanket. You can keep it around 65 during the day and where a sweater.
Bill

Yeah, keeping the RV at 77 on a cold night is going to use a LOT of propane. RVs lose heat rapidly through a variety of means, but the a/c unit is probably one of the least. Windows, skylights and slide seals have much greater losses, and the sidewalls themselves lose a lot.

We keep the coach at around 66 over night, which we find is a pleasant sleeping temperature anyway. Turn the heat up when I arise in the morning - it only takes a couple minutes to warm up.

acenjason said:
Thanks:) I just wanted to be sure. :) Don't need any more propane usage than I need. It was low 30s night before last. I was able to keep it at my usual 77 ? but I am using a fair bit of propane.:)

You can save a lot of heating costs by dressing warmly when you are up and about and using an electric bed warmer at night.

Crank that thermostat way down and the propane savings are phenomenal.

I have used a mattress warmer for 4 winters now, and it's heaven on earth. Plenty of options from $40 and up.

Here is link and picture to what I am talking about:
http://amzn.to/1paDai0

Attachments

• heated mattress pad.jpg
    heated mattress pad.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom