Vacation Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skirk55

My wife and I purchased a Forest River Flagstaff 246 and we are pulling it from Pa. to Calf. I have one question is 4 weeks too long in a pop up?

Four-weeks in a pop-up, the first question that came to mind: are you in your twenties/early thirties? I had a pop-up back in the day...lot's of work to set up and tear down as I remember it.

What is "too long" for you??  This is a highly personalized question, what was too long for me may be fine with you, especially if you plan to move every day or so.... For me, I think I would find it a bit long, but those pop-up days are far behind me. We were vacationing with 4 kids, a big dog, and for 2 week periods. Those same kids are older today than we, as parents, were when we were camping like that!!

We will be on the road for 3 days and then stay at that location for 4 to 5 days . if we get tired we will just chill for a day. set up will take some time I will stop at dusk and set up the pop up. I pull at 55-60 mph max. We are going to do what we can and enjoy what we see. Nothing is better than camping and meet people there. We are very lucky to have this time together.
Our last trip in my fifth wheel was a blast. Can not wait till we hit the road!

If at anytime you need a break from the pop up check in to a hotel to break it up rest and stretch out. I had that in mind in my trip as a alternate yet never did it but i was in a Class C.

I'm guessing that your popup is a bit better appointed than the one I just moved out of.  i had a Rockwood 1910 Freedom with power nothing.
Power tongue jacks and poper roof lifts would make things much easier I'm sure....

I did quite a lot of one night trips in her, but came to realize that it was just too much work to do that, in our opnion. So we tried to make our trips 2-3 nights.... and even then it seemed like a lot of work to me after a while.
I always wanted to make a week long trip someplace, but never made that happen.

I think what you are planning would be a lot of fun, but i would plan on keeping the set-up minimal, both inside and out. 
I would probably try to stay in each spot a minimum of 3 nights.
Awning maybe not at all, camp chairs maybe, but no tacky lights, no patio rug, no tables, etc..... especially for one or two nights
only bring along the minimal stuff in terms of clothes, cooking wear, etc....
I would try not to unhitch as much as possible.
and I would probably plan a night here and there in a hotel as Sam suggested to break it up for DW's sanity

We can not pull out the bed without unhitching. Hotel we have two Golden Retrievers  that are 13 years old. I can be away from my dogs.
It will be tight but we have made Calf. our goal. Yellowstone will be my best part of the trip. What ever happens we will make the best of it.

With that attitude--

What ever happens we will make the best of it.

four weeks won't be too long.  It will be just right.

I'm a little late to the party here but for FWIW, we went out to Yellowstone on a 3-week jaunt back in 2007 (we had a TT) and a family pulled in next to us one day in a pop up on their 3rd week of a 4 - 5 week trip and they were all still having a good time!  :D

we have never used the pop up camper and next week we will spend a month in it. I hope we can do this. One good thing it will be easy to get fuel and snacks1 we both can not wait to hit the road,

The first night we set up in a bad rain storm. This was not nice but everything but me was dry. The bed was dry no leaks.  We purchased totes to put everything we need to set up. The little doors and keys are a waste of time. Open the small door and in the tote is our  water line , boards , level and dolly wheel. Next box kitchen drain hose, shower hose and adapters.
After a few times we got our system down pat .In fact we like the pop up camper.

Good for you!  Have fun, enjoy the trip, and remain flexible.  Remember, no matter what kind of RV you have, it rains whenever you set up and take down. ;D

Today we are going to start our 6 day route home. We have had so much fun it three years we are going to do it again. We did not have enough time to do everything. We have saved so much money with the Acadia and a pup than our Fifth wheel and truck. It is easy to pull the pup and set up.

Congratulations on a successful journey, have a safe trip home.

After 4weeks and 8500 miles we had nothing go wrong! We were lucky. In so years we are going to do it again. We were looking into trading it for a Trailmanor. After thinking about what have We can not trade it. This is a fun,cheap and well built.

Back
Top Bottom