RV Living near Portland, OR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCaulfield

Greetings,

I just moved to OR to get my PhD, and plan to live full time in my very nicely self renovated '74 Dodge Hvst (Class C), 24 ft.  I have heard that OR is very RV friendly, however in my first few weeks here I have not found that at all to be the case. 

After calling every RV living park within 25 miles of Portland, all except two of them will not take RVs older than 10 years, and the other two have no spaces available until Oct., or Nov.

Logically, I checked the local Craigslist for people with large properties who are looking to make extra money by renting out a small space on the lot or yard, which is very popular in CA, from where I just moved.  In fact, I rented out my RV on my property to several people throughout the years.  But strangely, in OR, these ads seem to be completely missing.  There are a couple of ads from Seattle or two hours away from Portland, but that isn't convenient.

1.  Most importantly, can anyone give advice on finding a place near Portland to park an RV?  How stringent are the "no residents in vehicles" laws?

2.  Why is there a shortage of private renters in OR, where there are many RVs and the land plots are larger, but hundreds of opportunities in CA where there aren't many RV full timers and the land plots are much smaller?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

C.

Have you looked across the river in the Vancouver area?  Also to the east toward Hood Mt.  The transportation system in/around Portland should be able to extend your search area outwards.

Thanks, yes I have.  I'm currently staying in Vancouver with family until I find a place.  I do have a fuel efficient car, and according to Google Directions, from here to PSU is about 30 mins driving, but about doubles with using public transportation, which is what I've found in all directions out from PSU.

Understand that we attempt to go around Portland but we stay outside of Klamath, WA.  A place right on the river.  May be a bit far out for you.

Not sure exactly how far north of Portland this is, but we have stayed there several times. Very clean and close to a few eateries, etc.
Have never had a problem with older coach.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/view_campground_review_details.php?cgid=9323&region=Washington&city=Ridgefield&park=Tri-Mountain-RV-Park

It might be worth a try to call on the parks which interest you in person, driving your RV, rather than a phone call.  If they can see that your rig is presentable and you are well-groomed and personable, they just might relax the rules for a PhD candidate. 

Thanks for the help, the WA one is a bit too far, but I checked out the Tri-Mountain park and it is only about 23 miles to the school.  I suppose I could try to "impress" the RV space owners, but they seem pretty adamant about their no old RV policies.  I had to laugh when they said, "We have to have standards, you know".  :)

Here's a link to an ad I just put up:  http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sbw/4649423553.html

The RV park owners are not trying to be "uppity".  ;D  They have lots of unfortunate experience with older RVs including rigs used for meth labs and then abandoned, people renting for the first month and then unable to come up with the next month's rent and abandoning.  If they knew you were a PhD candidate doing cancer research, that might go a long way toward approving you as a long-term renter. 

The pictures in that ad are cute but they don't do much for your credibility or the exterior condition of your motor home ..... You might consider replacing them with something more appropriate to the words you used.

Definitely lose that photo. Replace it with a photo of your  "nice" RV.

Thanks so much for the advice.  You are correct, I need to take a good pic of the exterior, and re-post!

I thought I had posted a message but can't find it so will try again.

We have stayed is several RV parks in Portland and some do say less than 10 years but we have seen many exceptions in all of the parks.  Those that say less than 10 allow older rigs IF they pass an external inspection, Fairview RV Park in Fairview is one that I know does as we stayed there last year and passed the cursory inspection.  This year we are at Columbia River RV Park where my daughter stays in their '91 trailer, no inspection although there may be a look out the office window but we are not sure of that.  Jansen Beach RV Park has many older RVs right now but I do not know if they check or not.

Send a good set of pictures showing all sides or drive in and check.

There is an old park in east Portland rolling hills I think about 282 and sandy blvd you might into.  The nicer parks do have restrictions.

Donn, 

I forgot about that one as we haven't stayed there with the Dutch  Star, too long for my comfort.  It is is a fairly good location with good access tot eh interstate.

IMHO cliental is not the best though and management is horrible from what I have been told.  We spent last winter in Troutdale.  Boy was I glad to get out of there.  Wind was a killer.  Heating bills of 80 dollars a week!  Had to tie down my slide toppers so they would not get torn off the trailer. 
Forgot to mention there are a couple of older mobile home parks on the east side that usually have spots open for RV's.  One about 148 and Division st and another one a little closer in.  Both on bus line

Back
Top Bottom