Arkansas - Petit Jean State Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Goad

I've just completed a photo gallery of images from two separate trips to Petit Jean State Park and Mountain.

We've enjoyed going to this park for many years.  We first visited after moving to Arkansas in 1980.

Last year we went to Petit Jean over the 4th of July weekend. Our kids and grandkids (and our son-in-law, too) camped in two tents, one of which was a backpacking tent that we got from REI in 1978 and used at Petit Jean in the early 1980s. We had decided that our days of tent camping was over, so we stayed at Mather Lodge.  Some of the gallery images are from that trip.

While we were there, we saw that they were renovating camping area "A".

After getting our fifth wheel (photo of it in the Petit Jean Photo Gallery), we decided our second trip would be a long weekend -- actually Sunday, Monday and Tuesday -- to Petit Jean.  Since the newly renovated area features mostly pull-throughs, we camped there, since my wife is not yet comfortable with my neophyte backing abilities. Camping area "A" has 50 amp electrical, as well as water and sewer hookups.  The rest of the campground only has water and electrical (not sure of the amperage, other than it's not 50a.)

Had a good time there, no problems identified with our new "little" Bighorn fifth wheel by Heartland.

I am planning to retire at the end of February. We will be using my 2007 vacation before that.  One of the places we will be going is to the Padre Island National Seashore.

I enjoyed your pictures, we took our first motorhome trip three years ago (in a rented RV) to Arkansas.  Petit Jean was the second stop (after Lake DeGray).  We were coming up from Texas, visiting lots of places in Arkansas and enjoying them all. It's time for another trip up there.

Robert,

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.  After I retire, that's one of the things I want to do to keep busy -- photographs of the places we visit that I can share with other on-line.

Our first long RV trip is going to be in the opposite direction as yours.  We're going to Texas in February fo my 2007 vacation.  First destination is Padre Island National Seashore.  After that, we're not sure yet.  We may wait until we're down there before we decide.  The only place I'll have to be is to come back home off vacation for my last official day of "work." If all goes as planned, I'll be retired March 1.

Mike, we spent a week in South Padre last year, staying at the county park located on the south tip of Padre. Nice enough park, you can walk to the beach or fish in the ship channel. We were supposed to be on a fishing trip, but discovered that most of the water behind the barrier island is about two feet deep.  My 22 foot v bottom boat had to stay in the intercostal channel or go outside to the gulf.

We have spend a lot of fishing time around Rockport, just 30 miles north of Corpis Christi.  The bay waters there are mostly 8 to 10 feet and much better for getting around in the boat.  However I am told that the fishing is much better down at Brownsville. Since I didn't know tha area well and coulden't get out of the channel I can't vouch for that.

Back
Top Bottom