Travelling with medication (narcotic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carbuff34

I am and hgave been on oxy-cocet for pain relief for several years.  Now that I want to spend several months in the U. S. I would have to bring 5 mos. supply, 720 tablets.  Is this legal to bring that amount with me?  If not any suggestions?
Thanks.
Leo

Update:  My Dr. wrote me prescriptions which were virtually useless in the U.S..  I brought my medical history with me, luckily and went to a local Dr. here in Texas and she did a couple of blood tests, I suspect to see how much medication was in my system, and she agreed to provide me with the necessary prescriptions as I needed them.  I was shocked at how little I was charged for this service as I had to pay it out of my own pocket.  So everything worked out with the exception my Dr. (in Canada) doesn't know what he is talking about with regards to writing prescriptions to be used in the U.S.

Leo

I believe your Canadian prescription is valid only to authenticate the type & quantity of drugs you bring with you. It won't work to purchase additional drugs here, though it may help convince a US doctor to write a similar prescription.

Glad you were able to solve the problem and can enjoy your stay here.

One of the problems with over the boarder prescriptions is that though Canada, US, Mexico and many other countries have basically the same drugs.. We have different names.

Now a good pharmacist  or doctor will know the multiple names (or be able to figure it out with some internet help) but. A US pharmacist can not dispense based on the different name. He has to have a MATCHING prescription, and, I suspect a US doctor's signature on the form.

Thus, what you did is beyond a doubt the best option,  Bring paper from your "home" doctor, and visit a doctor in the country you are visiting and get new scripts to cover you while you are visiting.

But any time you cross a boarder with meds.. Mandatory they be in a properly labeled pharmacy package, Good idea to carry a spare script with your doctor's signature on it too.

Some folks, for some reason I'll never understand, insist on putting pills in unlabeled bottles or containers,  Now I can understand those S-M-T-W-T-F-S boxes or the Morning/Evening boxes but transfering all the pills to one unmarked container?  That is a good way to make a mistake.. A potentially fatal mistake.  Plus, if you are caught with meds in an unmarked bottle, You may well be invited to spend some quality time at one of the local "Inns" (AKA JAIL)

Long ago, some 20 years, my late wife and I had the same problem, same medication. We had her doctor make contact with a doctor at her destination for prescriptions while she was there. I don't know what procedure he followed to find that doctor, nor to make those arrangements, but it worked well. And, she had a great time.

He also arranged for medical treatment, including hospitalization (in the event of an emergency,) including he sent a copy of her medical records. Didn't have to test that, as the trip went well and without a hitch.

Actually, I was amazed at the level of cooperation.

Ray D

OH, one other thing to consider if you have any health issues other than "Healthy as a horse" (Though I've seen some very unhealthy horses)

http://www.medicalert.org

Medical personell are SUPPOSED to check with Medic Alert if you are wearing their jewlery.

Some actually do.. The rest tend to seek new employment

The first thing to say is that Canadian perscriptions are of no value in the US. At a minimum, a Canadian perscription indicates that some doctor in Canada has perscribed the medicine.  No Canadian prescription is valid in the US.
Last year I had pneumonia while in Florida. Despite the fact that I am a physician, I had to go, register, and see a family physician, before I could get a prescription for an antibiotic.
If you are Canadian, you should ask your doctor for a five/six month prescription and fill it before you go south. Then you should take the prescripton with you across the border, and park the drugs in the fridge or somewhere. And say nothing. If they find the drugs then you should show the prescription(s). I doubt that there will be any problem.
Rankjo FRCS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom