Starting the Process...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another piece of the puzzle was put in place, our rental home is in escrow and if everything works out we will close on or before 2/17/2015. I did a For Sale by Owner and it only took a couple of weeks to find a buyer.

SargeW said:
Great news John! I think that the market has pretty much turned around since the crash in most places.  Have you ordered the new rig yet?

Yes, it has pretty much turned around as houses are being built and sold again in the Las Vegas Valley. I only hope it goes as well when we sell our primary residence in about a year or so.

The dealer that has the rig I like parked on his lot called me the other day and made me an offer. The Seneca 37TS has been on the lot for better than 600 days now. They started at $230k, and its down to $169k. But they want to low ball me on my coach, and I'm pretty happy with the Aspect. So, no I haven't bothered with a new rig yet.

Besides, I am knee deep in developing the retirement property and the Jeep project. As soon as we close escrow I turn around and grade the new property into 4 half acre lots, sell this place and build a much smaller place to retire to. That's when I'll get serious about a new rig. 

Looks like your plan continues to move along nicely John. The hardest part for me was selling all the toys, however now that I have been bitten by the Jeep bug all is well again except for the checkbook.

Becks said:
Looks like your plan continues to move along nicely John. The hardest part for me was selling all the toys, however now that I have been bitten by the Jeep bug all is well again except for the checkbook.

Susan begrudgingly follows me along in the Jeep Project. In the last several days, I've purchased a boat-load of parts. The other day my wife asked me, "Is this it for the Jeep now?". I smiled...

I have an idea for you. When you are ready, get about 20 or more as you go of the business file boxes and put them around the house. Let's say you put a box in the kitchen. Now you are gonna turn the home into your RV. So you leave only enough glasses, plates, and silverware in your cabinets you intend to use in your RV. Maybe even eliminate all plates and replace with some paper plates. Same for appliance, etc.

As you kitchen becomes your RV kitchen, you keep adjusting over say a two month period until you have a hypothetical RV kitchen. Now, if you put something into the box you need, you go get it. If you find you don't need something, into the box it goes. If you do this in every room, eventually you will only have left what will go into your RV and if aggressive enough, very little extra.

RogerS - great suggestion.  That was sort of our plan when we pack the house and move to where ever.  Right now plan is to list the house this month (just a few more projects to finish up), then move to a rental property while looking for our motorhome.  We will only move into the rental whatever we want to take in the motorhome.  This way we won't have to go though everything again trying to decide what to take and what to leave behind.  Plus, like you said, we can see if we really need something or not and can still have the ability to switch things around.

We put another piece of the puzzle in place, we signed a contract with the Civil Engineers to do the Civil Improvement Plans. This is about an 8-10 month process in Clark County, Las Vegas, NV.

The Surveyors were doing the survey yesterday, so the ball is rolling.

SMR said:
that's is great- how long to get the building permits after the lots get approved?

The total process is about 30-36 months to move in...God willing.

wow-
prior to moving to Elkhart we lived in Arizona, I worked for a custom home builder (Cave Creek, Scottsdale, Carefree area) as home designer/project manager- it would take about 2-3 months to get a permit and cost 2000-3000 for the building permit and full sets of prints, floor plans, elevations, foundation, sections, electrical, mechanical, plumbing all the details and pages of notes.
when we moved to Elkhart County, I went to work for a builder (and still do....) and was awed when I went to get permits. took about 2 weeks and cost 250.00 for the permit and 100.00 for the septic. they just want the site plan and square footage of the house. all where you live I guess
lets hope they get it done sooner than later!!

SMR said:
wow-
prior to moving to Elkhart we lived in Arizona, I worked for a custom home builder (Cave Creek, Scottsdale, Carefree area) as home designer/project manager- it would take about 2-3 months to get a permit and cost 2000-3000 for the building permit and full sets of prints, floor plans, elevations, foundation, sections, electrical, mechanical, plumbing all the details and pages of notes.
when we moved to Elkhart County, I went to work for a builder (and still do....) and was awed when I went to get permits. took about 2 weeks and cost 250.00 for the permit and 100.00 for the septic. they just want the site plan and square footage of the house. all where you live I guess
lets hope they get it done sooner than later!!

At the Clark County Building Department we have a staff of plan checkers that love their jobs, and in turn they want to do as thorough a job as possible to ensure the public safety... is there a hint of sarcasm there... 8).

The Civil Improvement process of taking a 2.5 acre piece of land and subdividing it into four 1/2 acre building lots in Clark County is cumbersome and expensive. The permits and fees will amount to a few thousand dollars, the building permit and connection fees will be enough to choke a horse. The water connection fees alone are several thousand dollars for a residential connection, then the sewer connection fees, etc, etc, etc.

It will take all of 30 months from now to move in...if all goes well.

Oscar Mike said:
The total process is about 30-36 months to move in...God willing.

It only took 5 years to build the Hoover Dam & that included building Boulder City...

http://www.bechtel.com/projects/hoover-dam/

Terry A. Brewer said:
It only took 5 years to build the Hoover Dam & that included building Boulder City...

http://www.bechtel.com/projects/hoover-dam/

They didn't have the Clark County Building Department to contend with. Design and permitting will take 24 months.

I had no idea the process could take that long anywhere in the US. Twelve years ago we bought property in SE MN, and three months later moved into a four bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage home.

Becks said:
I had no idea the process could take that long anywhere in the US. Twelve years ago we bought property in SE MN, and three months later moved into a four bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage home.

It is rather ridiculous. Back in the day (1988ish) I built a Rural US Post Office in Amargosa, NV. The only required inspection was for the septic tank and leach field. From start to finish it took about 60 days. Even without all of the inspections, approvals, and so forth the building is still in service today...go figure.

Another small piece got put in place today, we received the proposed site layout. Once I get a scale copy made I'll be able to start doodling the shop.

Attachments

• Land.jpg
    Land.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom