Modifications?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3crazykids

I am nervous about putting holes in the walls of our new TT. What do I use to make sure things stay attached? One mod we will be making is adding a tv or two. Is it important to get a special mount that can take the shaking?
Thanks for any help!

The holes shouldn't be a major concern, but you need to find sturdy places if you are going to hand something fairly heavy like a TV. A couple screws into thin luan isn't going to do the job.

Also, be concerned that the VESA-standard, threaded mounting holes in the tv case weren't really designed for shocks and vibration - that's not an issue in most houses! When I replaced one of my LCD tvs with a larger one, I found that 2 of the 4 mounting holes had broken away inside the tv casing. I made sure the new tv had some support under the lower edge to reduce the shear load on the mounting holes. A sturdy bracket does no good if the tv itself breaks off the bracket.

As for the tv brackets that are readily available everywhere, all that I have seen are plenty sturdy. Even the pivoting arm type seem more than adequate. Just make sure you can secure them during travel so the tv doesn't flop around on the pivot/extension arm.

Excellent points by Gary.  I'll add that, like you, I was pretty concerned about putting holes in the walls.  When I mounted my TV bracket, I did so to the side of my wardrobe cabinet rather than to an exterior wall.  On the inside of the wardrobe, I removed the stapled finish sheet to expose the wiring (which allowed me to add a 12V plug while I was in there).  Then I reinforced it with lumber where the bracket would be mounted and re-covered it with the finish sheet inside.  That gave me a good solid area to screw the TV bracket in.

For a TV mount you want to try and hit studs.  They work best for holding stuff.

Special mount... Well... I have three TV's in this RV (one doubles as a monitor sometimes)

One is mounted with special brackets up front.. This is how it came from the factory.. I changed the TV, but NOT the brackts.. Eventually I will change the brackets but, that may take a couple years .

The ones in the rear.. One is mounted on a swing arm (This is the monitor/tv) I do take steps when traveling, Will cover in a paragraph

The other sits on a special Shelf. it has pins that hold it there, And when on the road I lift it off, unhook it and lay it on top of my dirty laundry.

The swing arm.

Before you travel double check all screws and bolts

I then swing it into the opening, and cross bungee cords over it.. Not this TV but the one that originally sat there fell a couple times.. thankfully when it falls its a soft (Bed) landing)

Back
Top Bottom