Something strange with my awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I recently purchased a truck camper used and just got to use it for the first time this weekend. I wanted to extend the side awning which is a Freedom lll Box Awning by Carefree.  I extended it with the manual crank and found that the 2 awning rafters (for lack of better words) were different lengths. The one closest to the front of the truck was just about straight (they pivot in the middle) and the rear one still had about a foot of travel at the center pivot before it would have been straight. Without taking a actual measurement (no tape measure) of the two rafters, I would guess that the rear one is probably at least 8" to 12" longer overall than the front one. Is this normal. The owners manual doesn't say anything about this. I'm wondering if the previous owner had to replace one rafter at one time and the factory sent them the wrong one.

I'm not familiar with that awning, but the awnings that I have had have all had an adjustment to allow dipping the awning.  basically makes one rafter longer than the other so that one corner is lower than the other

You want this otherwise the water can pool when it rains and mess things up!

My understanding on my power awning, is that you want to release this adjustment before retracting so things don't bind, but maybe yours wasn't released the last time it was retracted?

Thanks Brad for your assistance. The style awning you're talking about is the standard RV awning and I'm very familiar with them. I've had several over the years. The one on my truck camper is unique and completely different then the style you're talking about. Thanks anyway. Anyone with a truck camper with a side awning probably has this style.

Back
Top Bottom