Fulltiming with health issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cadee2c

My DH has very serious health issues with a poor long term prognosis. Although he has been doing really well for the last 2 years, up to that point, he had been in the hospital about a dozen times in the previous year alone.  However, on Friday night we were in the ER for 12 hours. It turned out to be nothing too serious this time.

Whenever this has happened in the past, I just called my son or other friends to go take care of our dogs and I did the other night also. If it was a serious issue, they would just pick the dogs up and drop them at the kennel we have used for years.  The kennel folks know the dogs, and, more importantly, the dogs know them. This is good because the dogs are kind of neurotic, each in their own way.  It stems from them both being rescued.

This all got me thinking about being on the road. If we had been somewhere in an RV it would have all played out very differently.  For one thing, this time it was bursitis in his knee that was the problem. He cannot walk on it, so getting in and out of an RV would be a lot harder than getting him in and out of our house.  Also, we wouldn't have been able to leave the dogs in the RV for the 12 hours we were in the ER unless the weather was just right.

So, I am wondering if any of you have had emergencies come up like this. How did you handle it? What went right? What would you have changed? Do you all think we are nuts for still considering living in an RV for most of the year?

Caryl

Nope, not nuts at all. The question I keep asking myself is why am I waiting so long?

Nope, not nuts at all. The question I keep asking myself is why am I waiting so long?

That's one thing I have learned through all this... never wait.... well, unless you are in the ER waiting room.

Caryl

So, I am wondering if any of you have had emergencies come up like this. How did you handle it? What went right? What would you have changed? Do you all think we are nuts for still considering living in an RV for most of the year?

Not at all, but you WILL need to plan well and be prepared for those 12 hr ER waits, and a whole lot of other issues that an ER visit would pale in comparison to..

1. Insurance (and your detailed knowledge of every aspect of it's coverage)
2. An understanding and supportive physician.
Someone who is willing to fax prescriptions to a pharmacy of your choosing in an emergency situation. (lost/stolen meds)
Someone willing to let you call anytime for advice. Someone who you can call to talk to another doctor.
3. A degree of trip planning in a detail that will surpass that of the average traveler.
Where the hospitals are, but more importantly, the right hospitals for specific needs.
What you're going to do if a long distance transport need arises and how it is to be paid for.

The most important thing in your situation will be the planning you put into it.

if any of you have had emergencies come up like this. How did you handle it? What went right?

This is not nearly as serious as your situation but I've used emergency rooms twice while traveling in the motorhome.  The first time I fell off a ladder and broke my elbow.  Had three surgeries plus physical therapy so stayed in the area for three months.  Unplanned of course because we were on our way to somewhere else.  I had superb medical care.  Good surgeon, wonderful therapist, good hospital.  Having the toad really paid off because my husband was able to drive me to the emergency room and then back and forth with numerous trips to doctors and therapist.

The second time was a tick bite that turned into the bullseye which is a Lyme disease symptom.  Again went to emergency room where I was given treatment and a prescription.  It happened to be in my old hometown but again I got speedy and good treatment everywhere.  Again the toad paid off.

You really need to make sure you have both medical and drug plans that are good nationwide.  That is my number one criterion when I'm thinking about changing plans.

All that said, heck yes I'd be RVing as long as we could.  You may be forced into hanging up the keys at some point but a lot of people RV with serious health issues and manage to do it anyway.  Good luck!

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom