EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 2015 RV Forum Quartzsite Rally - Reply Thread  (Read 48556 times)

Tourmaster

• ---
Re: 2015 RV Forum Quartzsite Rally - Reply Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »
Anytime after 9:30 am.
John & Carol
2009 Winnebago Tour 40 TD

Paul & Ann

• ---
    • Paul and Ann's Great RV Adventure
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »
Anytime after 9:30 am.

OK, sounds good.

Thanks again
Paul & Ann  Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J
http://stoughrvadventure.blogspot.com/

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2015, 08:38:10 PM »
What a day, January 22, 2015.  Terry went out   to breakfast with  Jeff, Barb and Frank. He had chicken fried steak and did  not want any lunch!   I  walked with the group at  10 am.  2.03 miles or 2.09 miles according to the pedometer you believe! I learned that  Marge and  hubby Utahclaimjumper left today and  returned early  with  a fixed refrigerator coil.   Love it when a plan is an easy and  inexpensive ( under $100 fix)

Terry and Frank spent the day  on the floor of our motorhome trying to get the  motosat to  work.  They swapped modems ,  re did  electrical and on and on... NO LUCK.   I went shopping and got new scissors, pizza flavored cheese, a  floor mat, bottle stoppers and  smoked flavored salt and steak rubs.  The big tent was still too crowded for me so  I  found my "bargains"  at Tyson Wells. 

I tried to visit Linda Sharp but her motorhome entry was blocked  by Richard fixing batteries!  Frank helped Richard load them in Richard's car and he  went to town!

I saw  several men  trotting  back and forth with  light fixtures in hand.  Seems Bill ( Hughey Pilot) was offering  "man cave" craft sessions to  have men convert their florescent lights  to something LED in nature.  He has quite the set up! FMCA should take a note and offer such hands on sessions!  Bill's  lady friend, Rene and daughter arrived in time for Happy hour.  More on Happy hour in next post!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2015, 08:51:33 PM »
Lotsa  new comers were welcomed at Happy Hour tonight.  Weather was much more cooperative in that there was less wind.

Marsha and Tim L. arrived to day  but failed to show up in time for introductions at Happy hour.  Lou Schneider drove in  and we hear he may be playing hooky from work ( not answering his phone)

There were a bunch of  new folks who arrived last night  during the wind but I did not know there was  a gathering so forgive me for not  highlighting  name of new folks.  Guess you gotta name yourself!  They were really nice people so they gotta come forward!

Our invited guests Pat and Alice M were  introduced tonight and while  their  gig is to lead groups with Adventure Caravans,  they were more than content to read their books in peace all day. I'll get their  picture before they leave!
sometimes unstructured is just what the doctor ordered.  So it goes with Quartzsite rallies....do your own thing!
Fire was started and I trotted home  to do dinner and these postings!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2015, 08:58:36 PM »
Hi Folks,

Sure miss being there with the group, but the boon docking thing, especially in the desert just doesn't seem to work for us.

Has anybody mentioned anything about trying to get together this OCT in Moab? From reading the posts, it sure sounds like this is a better time for Moab than May, especially since the ATVs aren't competing for the trails then. We missed last fall because we attended the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, but would sure attend if there's going to be one this fall.

Chet,

The time frame conflicts with an FMCA 4 Wheel rally in St. George. Last year most of our folks chose Moab but this year they are going to St. George. I don't know if anyone would be interested in going to Moab a week or 2 earlier, but personally I'm OK with taking a year off from Moab.

If others want to discuss this further we should probably split this discussion off in a new topic.

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2015, 08:58:41 PM »
Dinner is over and I'm back! 
Happy Hour tonight resulted in a couple of BIGGies!

Following  introductions, we see a brand new Allegro motorhome driving in towing a yellow Volkswagon.  After a nearly  6 year search Mike and Wendy L (mike coke) struck a compromise between the two of them  and bought a new rig!  They  kept a secret from those of us at Indio where they struck the deal.  She looked mighty exhausted having  transferred all those possessions from one rig to another. Recall he has a hole in his hand from a drill?  She is not ready for open house but the motorhome is beautiful on the outside.  I am so happy for them !
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
Congratulations Mike and Wendy!!!!

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2015, 09:09:40 PM »
And in MOST memorable moment, happy hour was  highlighted by the arrival of Ed and Donna Gorber.  They arrived in a white rental car!  Seems their  motorhome  is at home in Shediac, Nova Scotia.  They have purchased a condo in Florida but miss the RVForum Quartzsite experience so they flew today from Tampa, Florida to Phoenix and rented a car.  They are staying in a motel in Blythe, CA  and will join us for RVForum activities!   I think they win the traveled the farthest  moment! Prize to be determined!

This  gesture just shows how valuable and memorable our RVForum has  become!  What a  commitment to travel this distance.  I  heard they  have already  secured a ride  with  Michael on the 4 wheel drive trip in the morning to Dripping Springs!  We recall the flat tires ED experienced on a former trip! Good luck  Michael!

Welcome  Canadians!  And then they got their name tags to  be in line with our rules! 
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
Sigh,
So many memories from our many RVForum Quartzsite rallies.  I love all the new people and energy, but I  am  also missing the long timers who are not  here for dozens of their  reasons.  Fred and Daisy, Ned and Lorna, George and Lucy, Margi and Tom, Helaine,  Bernie and Marlene, Rolf and Shirley , Jim and Pat G and D , Ron and Shirley, Dan and Jeannine, Pam and George, Ken and Sheila, Al and Vel, Ron and Sam, Bob Buchanan,  Bill and Ramonda, Don and Peg, Chris and Mimi  and all the others who are not here!  Forgive me  if I did not mention your name.  Speak up and remind  me!  We grow old together  and need all the help we can get with our memories of one another!

This RVForum is  a  tremendous  value in our life and we thank Tom Jones for his  Ownership in the whole thing!

Blubbering!....
Betty
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:46:59 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2015, 09:25:34 PM »
Frank is leading a 4 wheel drive  trail in the morning at  9 am. Dripping Springs and we have not been there for  several years so it will all be new! 
Betty Brewer

see where we are

joeda133

• ---
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
Wow.....I have not been on the Forum for probably 2 years...sat down reading some past Forum stuff tonight and ran across a print out I made by Gary Brink on Troubleshooting RV Furnaces........on a whim we had decided to make a quick 3 day trip to Quartzite having arrived this afternoon.  Will try to look up some folks tomorrow.....Friday. 

Joe and Phyllis Davis
Eloy, Arizona

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2015, 09:57:42 PM »
We miss all of you, too, Betty  both the old timers and the new participants we will not have the opportunity to meet.  The memories will never leave us and we hope for all of you attending that you treasure these memories, too.  When you come right down to it, those times were some of our most carefree, relaxing, fun-filled times of our lives.  Just hangin' out in the desert, enjoying friends, watching sunsets, warming by campfires.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:00:30 PM by Tom and Margi »

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »
    Betty, thank you for the kind words, it was quite the feeling heading down the road from Phoenix to Quartzsite this afternoon.  We love our place in Florida, but it just isn't RVing, and the desert is so different and enjoyable.  we decided on a whim to come out this winter as we never know what lies around the corner.
    In that regard, I'm sure you won't mind if I add Russ Mahoney's name to those you listed as being missed here at Q. 

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2015, 10:23:52 PM »
As mentioned elsewhere, yesterday was very windy here in Quartzsite.  Happy hour was late getting started and we used the Sharp's coach to block the wind.  Here are some photos of the attendees.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2015, 10:27:22 PM »
Someone usually takes some photos of the Section 541 RV Forum rigs.  Here are some for the 2015 rally.

ArdraF
ArdraF

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »
Just reading the list of people Betty mentioned who no longer attend rallies brought back some wonderful memories.

ArdraF
ArdraF

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2015, 10:47:28 PM »

In that regard, I'm sure you won't mind if I add Russ Mahoney's name to those you listed as being missed here at Q. 

Yep Ed , It will be an entirely new post to acknowledge those we've lost  this past year.  Russ' memory crosses  my mind each day.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2015, 11:10:25 PM »
Have been remiss to get this posted but Tuesday AC, Larry, Walt, and I carried on the QZ Open at Blythe Muncipal Golf Course. Great weather and a fun round of golf with great Forumites.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:15:27 PM by Jeff »

Lorna

• ---
    • Our itinerary
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2015, 08:00:46 AM »
Thanks Betty for remembering us.  We miss all of you and the memories.  Looking forward to seeing some of you at Palo Duro in May.
Lorna
Better to drive thy closet than pack thy suitcase
Want to know where we are?
http://whereis.nedreiter.com
Follow our trip of the USA at http://blog.usabyrv.us

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2015, 10:29:10 AM »
We too thought of Russ as we pulled in on Wednesday....he is missed!!  Just to clarify the information, we pulled in on Wednesday afternoon with our friends from Manitoba.  Both couples attended "Happy Hour".  Yesterday,(Thursday) we went to the tent.  It was crowded, smaller than last year and seems like the same ole'...same ole' stuff.  We were looking for a genturi and couldn't find them.  After our tent excursion we stopped at the "Beer Garden" aka "Adult day care area" and got stuck visiting with friends.  Such is life....so we arrived at happy hour later.

As I type this lots of Jeeps are all lined up headed off toward the sunrise in search of adventures. 

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »
Betty,

Thanks for remembering us.  We are enjoying the QZ experience through the messages here and miss it badly. 

The house has not sold although we have had lookers, just not the right one yet.

We are now also dealing with a pratfall I had last week that seems to have screwed up my right shoulder.  Today is the first day in a week that I have been able to type with both hands.  Dr ordered a MRI so we will see what results from that are and go from there.

Hopefully we can make QZ next year.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Jeannine

• ---
« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »
We are finally on our way.  Hope to be there this afternoon.
Jeannine
2009 HitchHiker 37CKRD
2014 RAM 3500

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »
We had a successful, mostly successful, trip this year.  Found someone to make a carved wooden sign for our friends, bought some nice LED globes for our vanity, bought the DW a flagpole and LED beacon, made an appointment with a glass company in Lake Havasu to get our foggy windows repaired and had a good time visiting with folks in our caravan and some new friends from Lake Havasu.

We spent several hours looking at new motorhomes.  dream on!

The low point was driving across town and wandering around in the desert for 20 minutes looking for the RVForum group happy hour.  We weren't so happy 15 minutes later when we were asked to leave because we had brought our two Golden Retrievers with us.  So it goes.  We'll know better next year.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »
We had a successful, mostly successful, trip this year.  Found someone to make a carved wooden sign for our friends, bought some nice LED globes for our vanity, bought the DW a flagpole and LED beacon, made an appointment with a glass company in Lake Havasu to get our foggy windows repaired and had a good time visiting with folks in our caravan and some new friends from Lake Havasu.

We spent several hours looking at new motorhomes.  dream on!

The low point was driving across town and wandering around in the desert for 20 minutes looking for the RVForum group happy hour.  We weren't so happy 15 minutes later when we were asked to leave because we had brought our two Golden Retrievers with us.  So it goes.  We'll know better next year.

Perhaps  a little expansion of the facts would help. The RV Forum QZ gathering has had a long standing policy of no pets around food events as is pointed out earlier in this thread.

When new people arrive with pets that rule is explained to them as happened this afternoon. I also offered a place to tie them out near our motorhome or the option was available to leave them in your car.

The response I received was "If our dogs aren't welcome we will leave. " Which you did.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #234 on: January 23, 2015, 08:52:14 PM »
Has anybody actually read every post in this thread?  I certainly didn't.

As I said, we were unaware of the 'firm rule', as you so bluntly put it in speaking to my wife.  (I'm assuming that was you)  We were not about to tie our girls up far away or confine them to the car.  Had I known about the rule we would not have driven across town. 

We've run into dogs everywhere we've gone while at the Q and did not expect to encounter a place they were unwelcome.  Lesson learned.  We will probably not attend forum gatherings in the future.

I hope the 4wheelers made it back. 

Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2015, 09:50:05 PM »
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding about dogs at this evening's Happy Hour. As Jeff said, we have a long-standing rule of no dogs at rally food functions, including Happy Hour. I usually try to post the rules in the QTZ thread so folks are aware. Dogs are very welcome at Forum rallies, just not at Happy Hour and the potluck. It's a rule I've found at many rallies. As a dog lover and fellow dog owner, I'm sorry that you decided to leave before getting to know us.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2015, 10:10:26 PM »
As a former participant in RV forum rallies, and a former yellow lab owner (RIP Dusty), I find your "my way or the highway" approach self defeating and insensitive.  Most people, who are not dog owners, are a little particular about dogs around food.  Is that so hard to understand?  Some people, through unfortunate contacts with untrained dogs, have been made to be afraid of dogs in general.  Also, not a stretch to understand.  You have chosen to reject the opportunity to meet some of the finest people I have ever met in our long RVing career.  Your loss, buddy!

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2015, 10:30:54 PM »
So do you really want to  know why  25  people were  almost 2 hours  late to Happy Hour tonight?  They were all part of the moderate  4 wheel drive advertised yesterday by Frank. He did say loud and clear that he had not done the run recently!  Could it be because  Lou was late, despite getting up 2 hours prior to  the run, forgot his glasses thinking he was on California time? Noooo
Could it be because we all had different radios?  Some FRS and some CB, well maybe! Could  we have been late because  of someone   slipping down the side of  a hill on loose shale?  Likely.  The 3  hour extrication of a new Grand Cherokee required 5 vehicles.  Some  backing down and letting others with  more equipment go ahead.  Poor Pat had to  drive up then back down a  slope and then do a repeat.  Big Larry barked directions in an effective manner.  Gary wished he had kept more of required  supplies in his vehicle and not in his motorhome.  He also wishes  he had  kept on our  radio channel all day. John why were  you not watching?   Deep breath....This is what I told Ardra all day while we sat on the rock watching the  ordeal !
Could it be because we saw  a herd of 6 big horn sheep on the hill and  watched them during  lunch?

I'm going to  review  my photos and videos and maybe we will really know why we were delayed. 

In the meantime  a  HUGE thanks to Frank for  his leadership  and  Barb for the radio  communications and to ALL the other  chiefs who stepped in on this rescue! While I was late to Happy hour, it did not  impede my  beverage consumption.  Off to check my photos.......
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2015, 10:41:49 PM »
6 bighorn sheep ?? I am so jealous.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Daisy

• ---
« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2015, 10:54:06 PM »
What Margi said, but double.  We miss every one too, but we also cherish so many great memories.  I do miss the quiet of the desert, but we are adapting to the cold again, and so far, it's been mild comparitively, so doable.  However, I will never stop missing the desert and the beauty and quiet of it all.  The sun as it moves around the hills and changes their color all day long.  So, yes, our memories will be with us forever.  Have a great time everyone and may you make many lasting memories as we have.

Daisy
Daisy.  Location:  Sometimes here, Sometimes there.  All depends on the mood of the moment!

Hosted by Over The Network