2015 RV Forum Quartzsite Rally - Reply Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are a few pictures of today's Jeep run. Enjoy

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 37
Oh Betty, thanks for a really funny description of our day.  I had my drink in hand even before any of our other intrepid crew returned.  This group of people is superb!  Thanks to all the guys who helped keep the car from sliding down the hill, Frank for taking us on this adventure, and to everyone else who gave me tons of moral support.  I hope Gary has some feeling in his hand after the death grip I had on it.  Amazingly the only damage was a tire and cracked rim.  Jerry already has an appointment Monday morning to get them replaced (tire in stock, rim ordered).  Betty, you were farther back and didn't see that Jerry was out on the trail making phone calls to the Jeep dealer which also might have added a couple of minutes to our jaunt.  Oh yes, never a dull moment with this group!  You're all wonderful friends, though, and we appreciate the effort everyone makes to look out for one another.  Isn't that really what framily is all about?!?

Photos will follow!

ArdraF

Again

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 35
So I have reviewed  my photos, videos of the sky  and all.  Here are a few of the gems in no order and with no description. Alice's dog Lucy Lou did not like the rocks but did like Alice's lap.  Love life!

Why do  photos never really capture the essence of the trouble we were in? It was steep and I really thought  Jerry's new vehicle was going over!

Then we got to the actual dripping springs and had a  group photo of those who were there when the camera person was there!  Many missing! 

Attachments

• IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3014.JPG
    IMG_3014.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3055.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3042.JPG
    IMG_3042.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3107.JPG
    IMG_3107.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 51
Tom and Margi said:
As a former participant in RV forum rallies, and a former yellow lab owner (RIP Dusty), I find your "my way or the highway" approach self defeating and insensitive.  Most people, who are not dog owners, are a little particular about dogs around food.  Is that so hard to understand?  Some people, through unfortunate contacts with untrained dogs, have been made to be afraid of dogs in general.  Also, not a stretch to understand.  You have chosen to reject the opportunity to meet some of the finest people I have ever met in our long RVing career.  Your loss, buddy!

'My way or the highway' works both ways. 

We chose to do the right thing for our dogs.  Is that hard to understand?  They've been cooped up in the RV for more than a week.  Basically we dropped in to say howdy and not much more. 

Sounds like the 4wheel folks had a real adventure.  I've seen more than one roll downhill sideways.  Glad everyone is safe.

Here are the pictures I took of our adventure.  I didn't plan on using so many but not everyone was down at our level and able to see the action in detail.  By way of explanation - there was a very narrow steep uphill with a sharp right turn at the top.  The Jeep was too far left and got into the berm.  What the pictures do not show is the steep side to the left of the stuck Jeep.  Three vehicles used winches and tow straps not only to pull the car out, but also to counterbalance its heavier weight.  We really didn't need anyone else to slip over an edge!  The photos are in order so you know what the steps are the next time you're in such a predicament. ;) I hope you're as lucky as us to have knowledgeable and helpful friends if it ever does happen to you.  The moral of the story, of course, is never to go four-wheeling alone.

ArdraF

Attachments

• 1-Houston we have a problem (Medium).JPG
    1-Houston we have a problem (Medium).JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 2-Now what do we do (Medium).JPG
    2-Now what do we do (Medium).JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 3-One winch & Jerry on terra firma (Medium).JPG
    3-One winch & Jerry on terra firma (Medium).JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 4-The Peanut Gallery (Medium).JPG
    4-The Peanut Gallery (Medium).JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 5-Straddling the berm (Medium).JPG
    5-Straddling the berm (Medium).JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 6-Gear in neutral & brake off (Medium).JPG
    6-Gear in neutral & brake off (Medium).JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 7-Attaching tow straps (Small).JPG
    7-Attaching tow straps (Small).JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 8-Pulling backward (Small).JPG
    8-Pulling backward (Small).JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 9-Making progress (Small).JPG
    9-Making progress (Small).JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 10-Almost there (Small).JPG
    10-Almost there (Small).JPG
    125 KB · Views: 41
The remainder.

Attachments

• 11-Heading the right direction (Small).JPG
    11-Heading the right direction (Small).JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 12-Being towed up hill (Medium).JPG
    12-Being towed up hill (Medium).JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 13-Well done Winchers (Small).JPG
    13-Well done Winchers (Small).JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 14-Spare tire and working again (Small).JPG
    14-Spare tire and working again (Small).JPG
    119 KB · Views: 36
I also have several pictures taken on what will forever be known as "Fitzgerald's Curve".  However others were quicker to the computer and no sense in me posting redundant photos.  I did however manage to get some good ones of the Desert Bighorn Sheep which turned out pretty well.  I need to start taking my bigger telephoto lense with me for these rare occurrences.  Loretta and I both really enjoy viewing wildlife and this was a big highlight on a very exciting trip.  I also attach the obligatory group photo as well as Alice Maitland with "Lucy", and the group exploring the petroglyphs near our Dripping Springs destination.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2299.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2320.JPG
    IMG_2320.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 44
Update on Raymonda,

She was released from the hospital on Jan 5 into a rehab center, was discharged from there on the 15th as she was strong enough to get back in the MH.  On the 20th she was having pain around her Heart, so back in the hospital.  Doctors found that she had fluid behind her left lung and removed 600cc , that is a little over 20 ounces.  They were not able to get all of it out so will be going back in this morning [Saturday the 24th].   

When she is released, we hope to head to Yuma for the Geocaching Mega Event and probably stay in Yuma until April as she really enjoys roaming around the area looking for easy to reach caches.

Have really enjoyed the pictures of the forum rally.

Bill Dane
99 CC Allure

This was quite an adventure.  The first for me and Maria.  Maybe the last...  lol.  At least I'll be able to scratch it off my bucket list.  Now I've got to figure out how to get Maria to scratch it off hers.  Until they make a Jeep with a rotor on the roof, I'll probably stick to relatively flat roads.  The one positive thing about the BIG event, it gave Maria a few moments, OK hours, for her stomach to return to its normal operational mode.  It was all planned ahead of time, wasn't it???????

Seriously, this is one impressive group.  There's no doubt in my mind that a bunch of young bucks would be looking for cell phone reception to call in the Calvary to get that Cherokee back on track.  I'll stick with the Geezers any day of the week. 

It's easy to see how such great and longterm RV Forum friendships have developed over the years.  Maria and I are thankful for the invitation, the excitement and the opportunity to make new friends on a 3 that turned out to be a 5.  We will always remember yesterdays off-road adventure and look forward to future Rally's. 

Between Donna and I we have a lot of redundant pictures too.  However, here are a couple that offer a little different view, one that shows just how perilous the Jeep was while being winched up the hill.
    Donna and I want to thank everyone for allowing us to go on the trip, and in particular to Mike for hosting us.  I must admit the Rubicon is much better equipped than our Liberty for such a "moderate" route.  Mike a special thanks for a great time.

Donna and Ed

PS:  This is not a picture of a municiple road crew as there were no shovels to be found anywhere

Attachments

• Over the side.jpg
    Over the side.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Big Horns.jpg
    Big Horns.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 53
Bill Dane, thanks for the update on Raymonda. Give her a big, gentle hug from me. Hope we see you in Yuma.

Wow, lots of pictures of the "fun"! It didn't look that bad until I got to Ed's picture - Yowza!

Wow, What can I say  THE POTLUCK!  It is an annual tradition and lived up to  it's  name today.  Chefs were working in  motorhomes early in day as only 4 of us walked this morning! Many bakers were  checking their oven temps and despite an oven that NEVER came up to temp, the food was ready at 2 sharp!

We have enjoyed good weather for  most of the potlucks and while the temps today were wonderful we could have done with less wind!  You will see what I mean when  you see  my hair in  the  group photo taken today. Ray and Liza spent hours before the  event arranging  chairs, mats, and making  tripod and  lighting checks. 1:30 was the designated time and almost everybody was late for that time  BUT by 1:35 Ray  managed  a 10 second recording of our  group for  history !  Jeff got the photo stick or disk or whatever  you call  it and will  make arrangements  for the debut  soon!  Thank you to all who make that happen! 

Attachments

• IMG_3129.JPG
    IMG_3129.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3132.JPG
    IMG_3132.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 46
A couple of day ago I mentioned a sadness I had for long timers who no  longer attend Quartzsite.  Well surprise surprise today,  special  RVForum  members Don and  Peg Miller showed up for the potluck.  They sold their motorhome a while ago but  miss the group.  They  made the  3 +  hour drive from Camp Verde, AZ  this morning to join us.  Peg  baked two of her homemade apple pies . Yum.  Talk about a Framily! 

Thank you for your  friendship over the years! 

Take a note all you newcomers, just keep coming back and you too will feel the magic!

Attachments

• IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 46
The Jeep trip looks exciting.  I'm glad everything turned out OK.

Well many of you heard  me bellowing or blubbering my support of the RVForum  making a request for voluntary  donations to  our  RvForum during Happy Hours and again today during the Potluck.  I passed the envelope and you gave! 

The generosity of  the  Quartzsite 2015  member attendees is astounding and may be record breaking!  We have learned  how to trouble shoot your RV problems and we have  learned how to use our ovens! We have knowledge of our batteries and we have made lifelong friends! Thank you thank you  for your generous donations.
I do not  keep records of who gave what but I did get  checks from new members  that demonstrate the value of this RVForum. You were so  generous.  And some long time members slipped me  a  hundred dollar bill. If you were not here to  honor and acknowledge the value of this RVForum look to the  top line of  the Forum page and hit the DONATE button.  We want to  keep the lights on!

In another note and a first, I had an RVForum member want to  make their  donation in the name of someone who specifically helped him. What a great idea!

Ellen and I really enjoyed this get together. We made some new friends and reacquainted with folks we met last year. As some of you may know, I got a new Jeep and was learning about off roading. I got quite an education and came away with a lot of information and a list of things to do to the Jeep that I probably can't afford. I wanted to think of a way to thank a few that gave me the most.

To make sure that the high priced help on the forum get the raises they so richly desrve, I made a couple of donations today. One was in the envelope after the meal. I made another on line. This one was made in honor of a few of of the folks who helped me over the past few days. Terry and Betty (Brewer): Thanks for shepherding Ellen and me through our first off road trail run. We had a ball and survived to tell the tale. (Big) Larry and Loretta: I'm glad we parked next to you. Thanks for the tips you gave me and thanks to Larry for helping salvage a fellow traveller. Last, but by no means least, thanks to Frank (W) and Barb. Thanks for leading the second run, arranging the delightful passengers for me, and thanks for all the Jeep and radio tips (and the CB radio).

Bill Dane - Yes, thank you for keeping us up to date about Raymonda.  We're thinking of her and want to see her at the next rally wherever it is.  Hugs from us too!

Phil - Yes, Jerry got more excitement on that drive than he bargained for!  New tire and rim on Monday....  Sure glad we had a "real" spare and not some of the alternatives.

Those of you with telephoto lenses really got some neat bighorn photos!  That's the first time I've ever seen them in the wild and close enough to see.

Don and Peg - It was SO GOOD to see you again at another RV Forum rally.  Betty really wasn't kidding when she commented that many of our old framily are really missed!  We loved having you visit and hope you repeat it next year.

ArdraF

Betty Brewer said:
A couple of day ago I mentioned a sadness I had for long timers who no  longer attend Quartzsite.  Well surprise surprise today,  special  RVForum  members Don and  Peg Miller showed up for the potluck.  They sold their motorhome a while ago but  miss the group.  They  made the  3 +  hour drive from Camp Verde, AZ  this morning to join us.  Peg  baked two of her homemade apple pies . Yum.  Talk about a Framily! 

Thank you for your  friendship over the years! 

Take a note all you newcomers, just keep coming back and you too will feel the magic!

I meant to ask who made the pies.  They were spectacular. 
You can tell quality with the first bite.  Thanks to Peg for baking and bringing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom