I don't really believe in putty tape is there a better alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dc2loco

I'm currently redoing my rv exterior, as the topic says I don't really believe in putty tape. Has anyone tried using just caulking or anything? I will stick with putty tape if I have to, I brought it already but just seeing if anyone has done something different.

Take a look at 3M 5600 Marine Sealant.  It stays slightly pliable and you can disassemble a joint or fitting.  Obviously it is used in water proofing applications.  I have used it a lot where you want a tight seal that is flexible.

Tom

You should use the right stuff for the job. "Putty tape" could mean quite a few different products, and RVs need sealing in many, many places that have differing requirements. For example, butyl putty tape is the ideal product for installing RV windows (used under the window frame) and behind some strip moldings. Butyl tape is not a good choice for sealing roof seams or around vent & plumbing openings, but Eternabond sealant tape can be excellent in many (but not all) uses. EPDM lap sealant is the top choice for most roof seams & openings, silicone can be used on some external gaps (outside of window frames, for example), and a general purpose sealer like Proflex RV is excellent for most vertical and horizontal body seams. 3M Body Seam Seal is even better, but a bit pricey.

In short, please be specific about what you need to seal and inquire about the best product for that usage.

I'm interested in redoing the caulking around the storage compartments. Especially the top as the existing clear sealant is turning blackish from mold. Whatever I use should be mildew resistant I would think. Any recommendations. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom