Do you think a cat can be trained?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watch this video of the Pets Ahoy show at Sea World Orlando and you will see that cats can be trained to do some amazing things.

http://youtu.be/Lc4tnIZ2Upk

my cat is well trained she makes me feed it at 6am and 6pm makes me clean its box on the weekend and pet her when she wants only.....

MN Blue Skies said:
I've heard and read that cats can be trained using a "clicker."  Has anyone had success with this method?

I like cats, but seriously.... LOL.

my cat is well trained she makes me feed it at 6am and 6pm makes me clean its box on the weekend and pet her when she wants only.....

Same here, and she doesn't use a clicker either. She gives us "the look" or maybe a "Mrooow!" and we jump.

Tom, thanks for the link to the video.  Since the video is 21 minutes long I was surprised that our cat (Black Velvet) watched most of it with me.  It was fun to watch her when the animals ran off the stage.  She would look behind the laptop and then look at me and Meow as if to say "Where did they go?" 

Velvet wasn't very interested in the cats but she really liked the rodent at the beginning and all the dogs.  She also showed some interest in the skunk which is probably not a good thing. 

We adopted Velvet a month ago.  We lost our previous cat last spring when she bolted out the door of the TT.  Eric took it especially hard when we lost her.  He said we would never get another cat.  After a few months of grieving I suggested we visit the humane society and sure enough he was smitten with our current kitten (cat).

In a matter of days she had us well trained.  I've been assigned the task of trying to train her to come when I click the clicker.  Like everything else, I'm doing research on the subject so the video reinforced that it just might be possible to train a cat. 

I have three cats and they are very well trained. I do everything they ask ::) My cats live with me full time in a class A and I never let them outside. I am just militant when I open and close the door. They aren't even allowed close to the door.

Dan23 said:
I like cats, but seriously.... LOL.

Seriously ... just wanted to give you an update.  Velvet's "clicker" training is coming along nicely.  She now comes when she hears the clicker.  I think we are going to try a "high five" next.  Roll over might be a bit too advanced at this stage.

BTW she loves watching the many online videos for cats.  Here is an example of one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXRFIRun20  Try it, your cat will love it!

Unfortunately Velvet tries to play with the cursor on my laptop when I am editing my images in Photoshop.  Next thing you know she will need her own laptop to watch her videos. 

LOL When I married Karen I got a neurotic dog and a cat with an attitude as part of the package. The dogs I can deal with (she adopted a second), the cat is a whole 'nuther story.

MN Blue Skies said:
BTW she loves watching the many online videos for cats.  Here is an example of one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXRFIRun20  Try it, your cat will love it!
Cleopatra only watches BBC nature documentaries. ::) :-\ ??? ::)

An acquaintance came to the US as an animal trainer in a circus. His speciality was training 'big cats'.  In discussions with him, he was adamant that he could 'train' any animal. He told me the story of training a racoon.

Sure enough.  I googled how to train your alligator and got quite a few hits. 

Then I had a "well duh" moment and went on to google how to teach your cat to high five:  https://www.petfinder.com/videos/video?id=19084324.

(Ahh, the internet. An irresistible time-sucking invention.  Now should I google the word google or should I plant our new rose bushes and enjoy the awesome fall weather in Minnesota?  Dang, I ended up googling the word google and now finally going to plant those rose bushes.)

Had cats for decades. In my opinion, they cannot be trained. But they can train you if you are a good learner.

We don't need a clicker to get our cat to come to use. Just shake a bag of treats and brace yourself! Lol

Back
Top Bottom