Satellite Connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FireEmt37

I'm having a problem.  I have an external cable coax connection on the outside of my RV for use at campsites to bring cable inside.  I bought a satelite dish, the Tailgater, which connects to the receiver box via a regular coax cable.  I placed the dish on top of my RV and ran it through the external connection to inside and hooked it up to the box.  When I turned the box on, it tries to run the setup but never connects to the satellite.  The dish is receiving power (I removed the cover and its working.  On the inside of the RV, there is a button on the plate where the cable comes out.  I've tried it with it on and off with the same result. After trying everything I could think of, I simply ran the cable from the dish to the box and it connected right away.  Is there a reason it wont work running it through the external connection?  I don't want to have to run it through the window whenever I want to watch it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Yes, there is a reason.  The satellite receiver provides a DC voltage along the coax to the Tailgater.  The switches and other electronics in the RV coax block the DC, preventing the proper operation of the Tailgater.

Is there anyway around this short of installing a new external outlet?  I dont want to have to run it through an open window, especially when it gets cold.

I had the same problem in my Vista. There is a second connection in the cabinet over the driver's seat. I connected the receiver there and connected the coax outside and everything worked as if it were directly connected.

Did you have a separate external connection or just the one?  I'm not sure if I have another connection above the driver but I'm going to look.

You can install an A-B switch at the external connection. Connect the cable coming from the RV to the input, run the cable from A to the connector for cable and a short new cable to a second connector for your satellite.

Makes sense.  I'll have to see if I can gain access between where it comes into the rv and where the inside jack is at.

Would a regular splitter splitting the line from the external connection then splitting it to the receiver and boosted jack work? 

No. As a general rule you cannot split satellite signal.  This is because satellite signal travels up and down the coax to work. A regular splitter breaks that connection and the signal will not reach the dish.  Direct TV makes a splitter that will split the signal after the receiver, buy not usually after the antenna.

I had the exact same problem with my Tailgater and 211K receiver in my 2002 Winnebago Adventurer.  I had just signed up for Dish at my home and wanted it in the RV too (for an extra $7 per month) and I ran into that problem so the Dish dealer initially rewired the cable input connector to connect directly to the receiver but that left me without any cable connection for parks where you could not access satellite due to trees.  So I took it back to him and had him revise the connections where I now have a diplexer (satellite & cable connections) on each end of the cable to the inside switchbox.  When I want to use the Tailgater, I hook it up to the Satellite side of the diplexer (looks like a typical two way splitter) and that feeds the signal directly to the receiver bypassing the switchbox and allowing the power to flow directly to the tailgater.  When I want cable TV, I hook the park cable up to the Cable side of the diplexer splitter and the diplexer on the other end is connected to my switchbox and fed to the TV through the receiver.  This is the screwy part because I did not realize that I had to have the receiver on to receive the cable input but it evidently serves as a throughput to the TV.  I found this out when camped in a tree covered RV park in South Dakota and the cable hookup would not work until I turned the receiver on.  Anyway, all is well now in TV land and this connection also allows me the benefit of having TV on my bedroom TV also but it is a bit fuzzy because it has to go through that switchbox.  I used to be a cable TV installer for a year or two but that was in the stone age of cable TV (pre-satellite) and I am hard pressed to understand much of how it operates now.

SargeW said:
Direct TV makes a splitter that will split the signal after the receiver, buy not usually after the antenna.
Wow, never had that happen before...Posted a reply to this subject and it just disappeared from all records, no evidence in profile...nothing.
Anyhow.
The DirecTV splitters are between the antenna and the receiver(s) for SWM antennas with only one coaxial cable from the antenna. One port connects to a power inserter and a receiver with the others connecting to additional receivers.
A typical one is Msplit2r1-03 a two line splitter.
Note that recent DirecTV receivers do not provide a splittable RF/coax output, only HDMI or RGB. I understand some Dish receivers still provide RF out so output can be shared between two or more TVs (for the same program only).
Do not know if this will work for your installation but is an inexpensive solution (or catch a DirecTV installer and scam a splitter from him  ;) ).

Bob

I had the same problem with my tailgater and have it run through the window now and no issues....too many connections between the outside connector on the RV.

Find a window and run it through or install a new connector with a straight feed to the dish...

Jim

The simple answer: The park cable connection is for park cable,,, NOT Satellite.  Do not use it for satellite

The longer answer:
Park cable is often lowest bidder RG-59, this is a very high loss cable when compared to qualilty RG-59 which in turn is high loss when compared to quality RG-6 which IS suggested for Sat use...  I would run a brand new RG 6 line for the sat receiver if I were you..... In fact.. I did

Now here is the other problem

Normal routing on MANY RV's.. The park cable goes to the back side of a wall plate, this plate has a switch, a 12 volt outlet, an antenna connection and a light. It is a multiple purpose box both selecting CABLE or OTA ANTENNA, and providing power to the antenna's booster (Which is in the antenna) when it is connected,  and SPLITTING the signal between the main TV jack (on the front of the plate) and the TG-2 Jack (3rd jack on the rear (And in some cases TV-3 as well but that jack is optional)

Normally 3(4) Cables attach to the rear, looking at the rear with the 12 volt outlet at the top they are normally
Antenna,  Cable,, TV 2 (Tv-3)  (the prens mean optional)

I do not recommend doign this but you can disconnect the 2nd cable here and route it to the sat receiver using an extension and a double femals (Barrel or "Cable splice" as CW calls it) connector.  You route the coax out from the sat receiver back to this same port.  for distribution.

I do not recommend it due to the use of lowest bidder RG-59

Oh, my sat cable was run from the overhead, down the A-Pillar, under the dash, through the firewall (Pushed through some foam) and connected to a ground block that is on the brake booster bell crank bracket.

The overhead end hooks to the "B" port on an A/B switch (A is the cable from up ABOVE on the Roof)  Or at least that is how I did it when I had Sat TV

I know use only OTA or OTA/Cable.  Still have a sat reciver (VIP-211K) but it's parked... Elsewhere.

SargeW said:
No. As a general rule you cannot split satellite signal.  This is because satellite signal travels up and down the coax to work. A regular splitter breaks that connection and the signal will not reach the dish.  Direct TV makes a splitter that will split the signal after the receiver, buy not usually after the antenna.

I use a splitter for my Dish system. Found the splitters online made for the satellite frequency.......been working great for 3 years. I installed a separate electric box on my 5ver.....and hook my Dish using one cable to that....another cable out of the back goes to a a splitter to divide the signal from the LV tv and the bedroom TV. I use the dual tuner from Dish .

Splitters work fine after the satelitte receiver to route signal to two or more TVs. It is the sat antennae to receiver signal that will not work with normal TV splitters. As someone else has already mentioned you need a sat multi-switch or SWM technology to do that.

An A-B switch works but you only get signal to one receiver at a time.

Taking a different tack, putting the coax out the window is not such a terrible thing if it is only an occasional need. Get a short piece of flat coax, which is designed to let a window close almost completely around the cable. I have an A/B switch on the input to my satellite receiver and a short length of coax that ends with one of the Flat sections (see link below). That goes out a nearby window without letting in bugs or cold/hot air and I connect my external dish to that when needed. Otherwise my rooftop dome is switched into the receiver. When not in use, the short length of coax is just coiled up behind the receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Flat-Coaxial-Coax-Cable-Window/dp/B001WAPIRW#

Ok Some mis-information here.
DirecTV. The receiver sends one of two voltages to the antenna, This determines if it is looking for odd or even transponders.. The antenna does not output both Odd and Even to the same port at the same time

DirecHDTV This technology is newer than my research so I can not be sure what happens. but the receiver has to have some way of talking to the antenna, usually this is by toggeling DC voltages

DishNetwork uss a method called "Stacking" to put both odd and Even transponders on the same port (All ports) at the same time.. HOWEVER there are 2 or 3 satellites so they have to have a way to say "Send me 110, or 119 or what is the thrid, 127?

Dish, does have Splitters that will work with DOMES, since both odd and even transponders are present all the time, this works.  BUt only one reciver will select a satellite.  I do not know how they do it with multi-LNB dishes (Twin or Tripple).

In addition to Splitters tehre is a device called a switch.... Switches are different.

A switch always has at least TWO inputs.. With DirecTV one input will always pull ODD and the other EVEN,, The switches I have seen have either 4 or 8 outputs... They connect the receiver to whichever port it desires.. So you can run multiple receivers.

Plus I've seen stacked switches.

In addition to DC voltages, Tones (Audio frequency) may be sent up to the dish to control things as well.

Most of this comes from "Free to Air" receiver set up instructions.. I've read a lot of operator's manuals. Do not have such a device but have read a lot of owner's manuals.. perhaps some day I'll re-invest in that technology.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom