2006 Damon 3773

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pete3880

Hello everyone, newbie here. In the Phoenix. Az area. Just bought a 2006 Damon Astoria. Very low miles, in great condition.
Filled her up with diesel today for a trip this weekend, and when we got home, smelled raw diesel. Started looking around and found that the fuel fill hose on the passenger side was leaking, badly. Tried tightening the hose clamps, no luck.
Questions are, does this hose go in to the top or bottom of tank and for anyone in the valley, where do I get another hose for replacement? Have fuel can under the leak catching the liquid gold!

Usually to the top of the tank. It's a standard truck-type fuel hose - any truck supply or NAPA store should be able to supply it. They are sold by the foot and you need to identify the hose diameter.

Should be a Freightliner chassis on the Astoria, so you can call FCCC Customer Service with the last six digits of your VIN and they can probably give you the hose diamter and length.

I would like to think it goes to the top of the tank.. Question is it leaking at a joint or somewhere along the hose.

I do know products that may be able to stop an active leak... Said product is called "Seal All" it is in a tube,, If you are old enough (Say a 1950's model) you might remember the original DUCO cement,, in the late 60's and 70's this was considered great for sniffing the fumes (Basically Acetone) to get high.  Duch thus changed the formula of their Model Cement to make it less attractive to the drug-head crowd..

This, near as I can tell, is the original formula (Same solovant, same aroma) you basically squeeze some of it onto your fingers (Gloving up optional) and let it start to set, workign it to keep it in a ball shape.. then slap it on the leak... Should work long enough to empty the tank.

Never used it on a Diesel, have on Gas.

I don't know if this will help, but here goes.....

I had a similar fuel leak on my RV, gas engine.  Every time I fueled up, when it got close to being full, I'd smell gas.  If I clicked off the nozzle at that point, it wouldn't overflow, but if I let it fill to the top, and let the nozzle click off automatically, it would overflow. 
Long story short, I took it to my mechanic, who put it up on the lift, and found the clamp holding the fuel fill nozzle onto the tank had loosened up, allowing this to happen.  He used his forklift to lower the tank from the underside of the motor home, replaced the clamp with a new one, which solved the problem.

The amazing part was, the labor cost was reduced, because he didn't have to empty the tank first, and I didn't lose any fuel from spills or contamination, because the tank didn't have to be emptied first, then refilled, it all (approx. 50 gal.) stayed in the tank.

I mention this, in case you have to drop your fuel tank, seek out someone who can perform this procedure, the way my mechanic did.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom