Converting Roadmaster tow plate to fit Blue ox tow bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bb21992

I have a Blue Ox tow bar on Class C Rv.  I want another tow dinghy which I found but it has a Roadmaster baseplate.  Has anyone does the conversion of using and adapter from Blue Ox and how did it turn out.  I will call Blue Ox later but I wanted to go to the expert in the field which are the people on the road as yourselves.  Thanks for reading and appreciate any input.  ;D

When I decided to replace a damaged Roadmaster tow bar with a Blue Ox, I bought the adapters at the same time. They work just fine, although I decided to return the Blue Ox tow bar and adapters, and bought a replacement Roadmaster.

Just curious as to why the return if things were working , if you don't mind. Thank you for your input.  My advantage will be not having to have baseplate and wiring kit installed in new two vehicle which has been a challenge to find especially with the options I want.  Thanks again :D

I was at a rally and Blue Ox had a special price on their tow bars in their booth, so I bought one and a pair of adapters. When I got back to the coach, Roadmaster was 'servicing' my old tow bar, a freebie thing they do at rallies. I suggested to the guy that he needn't continue because I'd bought a Blue Ox replacement at a special price. He asked "what if we match the price, and you don't need to buy/use adapters?".

Well that was a great place to be when you had the towing issue.  Right time right place.  Thanks for the reply.

Glad to help. I'd actually damaged the original Roadmaster tow bar weeks (or months?) earlier; One of the rare times my other half let me drive, I reversed into a concrete wall  :-[  The tow bar was still OK, just a little bent, and was towing our Suburban OK. But I figured I should replace it while I was at the rally.

I haven't used it but have seen it in use on another guys toad. Seems simple enough and I have no reason to suspect it wouldn't work well. It isn't so much an "adapter" as an alternate front piece on the Roadmaster base, one that has Blue Ox attachment points instead of RM attachment points. Same thing, slightly different shape. You can get  an RM crossbar with Blue Ox connectors on it and just slip it onto the RN base, or you can buy just the BO connectors that replace the RM ones on the RM cross bar. If the toad comes with the crossbar in place, that latter is the way to go. If no cross bar comes with the toad (base plates only), then you need the entire cross bar+ connectors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom