Need advice on buying a CB radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
In a few weeks we're heading toward International Falls to do some hunting.  I'm thinking about surprising Eric and buying a CB radio for the trip.  It's been over 30 years since I've owned one and I don't remember a thing about them..... channels, range, is an antenna needed, etc. etc.  I did an internet search and the prices are all over the board.  We aren't full-timers and I am very frugal so I don't think we need all the bells and whatever new whistles they might have available these days. 

So what should I look for in a very basic CB radio?  Any suggestions on CB brands and where to buy one?  I haven't looked on Craigs List.  Is that even a viable option.   

I just installed the Cobra 75 all in the mike model in my new Jeep, as space was limited. Bought it and a 4 foot Firestick antenna from cooltecllc.com.

IN days of old when Chip Davis was known as C W McCall... (Convoy) the big boys were Cobra and Johnson.. If you wanted the best, those were your options.. However Radio Shack was good too, R.S. Best was about the same, performance wise, as Cobra or Johnson #2, but priced closer to the #3, and this continued down to the lowest cost box.

Today its Cobra and Midland... I have a top end Cobra, which is more than I ever use and a mid range vintage Radio Shack  one on Chan 19, (Cobra) one on 13 (Radio Shack) and a midland hand held currently in storage with no batteries inside. (I do not use it much as you can tell).

I also have a Kenwood Ham rig, a Wilson ham rig, Another Kenwood Ham rig, and a pair of Icom hand helds one of which works, and as I type this I'm wearing a Icom T-Shirt.. Pure coincidence,, But Icom does not make CB gear.

I have a Colbra in my 2001 Winnnebago Journey.  Assume it was installed when the coach was nearly new.  I thought about taking it out as I thought cell phones made them obsolete. I don't know how to even turn it on.  I am in Wisconsin heading to Forest City, then Moscow Iowa next week them home to Asheville NC after that.  Will we cross paths?  I could give it to you.

You do need an antenna, and most antennas are going to need to be mounted on a metal surface, which is awkward on an RV. A typical Radio Shack, Midland or Cobra in the $30-$50 range is fine. Of course you'll need to be able to run coax between the radio and antenna, and 12 VDC power to the radio, plus the radio probably would best be mounted in the cabin, though sometimes you can get by without formal mounting.

Side track, but i was looking at CB radios for sale at a truck stop a while back.  I was surprised that they still look pretty much like they did back when I was a kid and Smokey and The Bandit was all the rage.  I figured there would be some big improvements with all the electronics advancements that have been made since then.....

I thought cell phones made them obsolete.

Not really.  In the first place they work where there are no cell towers so they're usable when cell phones are not.  Second, with cell phones you need to know someone's number to talk with them but with a CB you can talk to anyone within range.  It's sometimes useful to talk to a trucker or when you're with a group such as when four-wheeling.  At rallies we keep the CB turned on and tuned to a prearranged channel so we can make announcements or ask someone a question.  Finally, CBs are quicker and easier to use when communicating on a prearranged channel because there's no dialing; you just press the talk button.

I don't know if all CBs have them but a scan feature is useful to learn if anyone else is talking.  A example might be when traffic comes to a stop and truckers start talking about what has happened.  Sometimes it can be really funny like the time in Texas when a couple of teen girls in a VW bug decided they were going to turn around and managed to get stuck at the bottom of the ditch in the median.  The truckers had a few good laughs watching their antics.  By the way, channel 19 is known as being the trucker's channel but I think they use others as well.

We still use ours occasionally while on the road.

ArdraF

I'm a fan of the Uniden 520XL. I have one in the MH, and one in our Jeep, plus a lot of our off road group uses the same model. Very clear and compact, and only $46 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PRO520XL-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00004VXNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410553584&sr=1-1&keywords=uniden+pro-520xl

Cobra, Uniden and Midland are still popular.
When you see some of the other brands in the truck stops
they are getting into the 10meter band which is NOT CB
and are illegal to use without an amateur license. Although
that does not stop a lot of illegal use.

The antenna will have more effect on the CB performance
than the brand of transceiver. All have 40 channels and are
limited by the FCC to 4 watts.

On a Class C the metal hood front fender makes a good mount.
That is what I used and it works well.
Fiberglass mirrors, roofs and bodies create RF ground plane problems.
They have no grounding ability.

A NO-Ground Plane antenna may have to be used if you do not have a
metal grounding surface.

Old RV manufacturers used to pre-wire the unit with the coax
and provide a metal ground plane place (grounded to the chassis).
Now few even have it as an option.

We have been on many rural roads and state campgrounds where the
CB was the ONLY form of communication. NO cell phone towers.

Also it helped us greatly when we ran into a backup on I85 last year.
The interstate was closed for over 24 hours due to an accident and fire.
3+ hours of back country road detour.

Regarding the antenna.. Antennas come in 3 types... The best antenna for mobile use is a full quarter wave whip, HOWEVER,, this might not be the best for you, First it is only half an antenna, needs a metal ground plane, Second, its something like 102 inches long (About 9 feet) without doing the math. The best mounting for this would be a frame extension, now you have to keep it from slapping your RV (I can think of a couple ways to do that however).

Next is a shortened antenna.. Again, MOST of these also need a ground plane  (Body or roof of car) but your RV likely has a fiberglass body and a rubber roof. NOT really what the antenna wants.

Finally there are some No-Ground-Plane (NGP) antennas.. Radio shack used to sell one (Have not looked in a while) and one you can often find is called a "Firestick"  Caution though I think the Firestick comes in both grounded and NGP versions.  It is a very short antenna

Short antenna = short range.

But the antenna is where you can really make a difference with many CBs

If you haven't been near a CB for 30 years, be prepared for a culture shock. You'll hear language that would make a cable TV comedian blush.

Max and Eric have an SUV and tow a TT.  The easiest antenna for them in my opinion would be a magnetic mount with the cable coming thru the rear hatch and up to the front.  That is what I use on my Jeep Commanders.  It is also very easy to switch it to different vehicles or to put the antenna inside for the car wash. If the power cord is wired to a 12 volt cigarette type plug then it can easily be removed also.

Max, The installation would be easier than the brake controller.

Oh and the reason I thought a CB might be a good idea is because our log house near the Canadian border is in the middle of absolutely nowhere so cell phone reception is unlikely.

I will check out Radio Shack (I'm surprised they didn't go out of business years ago.)  I checked out Dennis' suggestion regarding Uniden-PRO520XL on Amazon.  It looks like a good option. Amazon indicates that the following items are frequently bought together:

--  Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio $46.68
  --  18' RG-58A/U Coaxial Cable With Pl-259 Connectors $9.40
  --  Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring $11.99

In addition to the above items I'm assuming we will also need an antenna?  Bill suggested a magnetic one. 

Is there anything else we would need or any other advice?

I have a hand held CB under the drivers seat, it has a built in antenna and a 12v cord that will plug in the cig lighter.  it may not have much range to talk, but ok for listing.  I also have my two band ham portable if necessary.  I also have a portable CB in the toad with a magnetic antenna and my two small Motorola UHF GMS Handie Talkies for use in the campground and if traveling with others.  Dick nvrver

One other point for Max and Eric.  Since you will sometimes need to act as a spotter for each other in manuvering your Travel Trailer back into a camp site, you might also want a second handheld CB to communicate between the driver and the spotter.  Saves yelling instructions and might prevent damage to the trailer when backing.

The magnetic antenna will come with the cable attached and not need a spring mount.  Be sure that the cable will reach the length of your Durango.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom