Planning 2015 Extended Road Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrypowellnc

Already in the planning stage of our 2015 extended road trip.  Unlike 2013 (5,000 miles) and 2014 (6,900 miles) this trip will not be out west.  We are staying in the east and the trip will only be about 2,100 miles.  Already on the agenda:  Williamsburg VA, Washington D.C., Gettysburg PA, Cooperstown NY (Baseball Hall of Fame), Niagara Falls, Detroit MI (to load up on Kolbasz, tour Greenfield Village and visit family) and Dayton OH (USAF Museum).  If we can get our granddaughter to join us we may add Hershey PA.  It will be nice to drive on a road other than I-40.  Also, all legs are less than 400 miles except for Dayton OH to home which will be covered in 2 legs of less than 300 miles each.  A nice easy trip.  Any suggestions for additional stops will be appreciated.  Updates to follow.  Happy RVing everyone.

Lure the granddaughter with a stopover at Cedar Point, if she is old enough.

I always wanted to get back to D.C. I could spend 2 weeks there and just scratch the surface. Take your time and enjoy

We've been to all those places with the exception of Dayton, Ohio. 

We did a Segway tour of the Gettysburg battlefield, that was really neat

All the places you are going are pretty nice and I'm wondering how much time you will spend in each place.

Sounds like a great trip.  We have been to most of those places and have enjoyed them all.  Check out the Shirley Plantation in the Williamsburg area when you are there.  Take your time if you can,  it would take me 3mos to do that trip.  So many points of interest.

It sounds like a great adventure. I think it would take me months to do a trip like that too.

Make sure you have your passports or other relevant paperwork to allow you to cross into Canada. You will really want to see Niagara Falls from the Canadiian side!

Depending on how it fits in your agenda, Harper's Ferry is not too far from D.C./ Gettysburg. If your route takes you toward Philly, you may want to look at some of the sights in the Delaware State Parks in the Wilmington De. area. Delaware State parks has a pretty good website, so one can get an idea of what there is to see.The State Parks at the northen end of De. have a lot more to offer than just trees and trails.

Sounds like an awesome trip! 
We did much of what you are planning and wrote about it in our blog: http://www.ourfamilymisadventures.blogspot.com/2012/07/niagara-trip-day-1-its-mystery.html.  We started in the suburbs of Chicago, drove up through Michigan (Ford factory and Greenfield Village), into Canada, Niagara Falls, down through NY, PA (Hershey and Lancaster County), Idlewild awesome theme park for little kids), Cedar Point in OH, and finally home. 
We've also been to Williamsburg and D.C. but I don't think it's in our blog.  There is so much good stuff to do in all of these places!  Have fun!

Sounds like a well thought out trip and a good one.  I second the comments about seeing the Falls from Canada plus there are many other things to see and do along the strip near the Falls but in Canada.  And Cedar Point usually gets selected as the greatest amusement park in the world or the best collection of scary rides in the world or some such commendation.  It is awesome if you like that sort of thing and there is a campground right at the park.  Not cheap but very convenient.

Since you will be in Williamsburg, it's not too far out of the way (and well worth it) to visit Jamestown, Yorktown and the Mariners' Museum in Newport News while in the area.

We again visited Savannah, Charleston, and the Outer Banks this spring on our way home, they are great historical cities and well worth the time.  Further north, a must see is Lancaster County PA, which is the heart of Amish country, and not too far from Hershey.
    You will be missing New England, including Boston, a great tourist city.
    There really is so much to see and do in the north east, have a great trip.

Ed

Sounds like a fun trip! We are in the planning stages of our trip this year. We are going to the southeast coast and gulf coast and plan on about 3.5 weeks. Last year we took a full month and did Route 66 complete. With all this snow in Massachusetts it's a good thing we are not going in May this year. We chose September in hopes that the southern heat would be on the way out.

Have Fun!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom