Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Thermostat for heating and cooling  (Read 4781 times)

gandwadventure

• ---
Thermostat for heating and cooling
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »
I have the TrueAir residentintal control Heating and air conditioning ,Coleman-mach 6535-335  wall thermostat and would like to change it out to a Honeywell RTHL2510C Digital.
Does anyone have a diagram showing how to connect the wires.
The Coleman_Mach has 12 wires and i want to hook it to a Honeywell digital.
Above the thermostat switch  the  Cool, Off, Gas, Electric Heat. Fan has Hi and Lo, and the mode has Auto and On.
If i could get a diagram on which wires to use from the existing Coleman-Mach to the Honeywell thermostat., I believe i could make it work. The Honeywell says it is compatible with cooling and heating and with heatpump which is what i have in the 2004 Winnebago Adventurer. If temp drops below approximately 40 degrees, i manually switch the control to gas. but the Honeywell thermostat does not have a gas connection, only cool and heat.
Hope this helps to get me a diagram.
Thanks in advance .
2004 Winniebago Adventurer' 35 foot with Workhorse Chassic and 8100 Vortex Workhorse engine, with Allision  5 speed transmission and 22.5 Michlen tires.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: Thermostat for heating and cooling
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 03:58:53 PM »
Several months ago I replaced our Coleman-Mach thermostat with a smart Ecobee Si - complete details on my web page write-up.  The Ecobee works great and I love the auto change-over from heat to AC or AC to heat.  When we were in Colorado we would need a little heat in early morning and air conditioning by afternoon.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

emiddleb

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:15:59 PM »
A couple years back I had to replace my 6535-335.  I chose the upgraded direct replacement 3535-3442.

If you go here   http://www.makariosrv.com/coleman-digital-wall-thermostat-black-true-air-6535-3442/  where I ordered it you'll see a wiring diagram about 1/2-way down the web page that might help as far as the Coleman side.
Ed and Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC

gandwadventure

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »
Several months ago I replaced our Coleman-Mach thermostat with a smart Ecobee Si - complete details on my web page write-up.  The Ecobee works great and I love the auto change-over from heat to AC or AC to heat.  When we were in Colorado we would need a little heat in early morning and air conditioning by afternoon.
Hey John: I have the same Coleman-Mach thermostat. in my 2004 Winnebago. Which diagram in you website do I use? I have 12 wires coming to my Coleman-Mach Thermostat.
Thanks again
PS. I think it would be the 2 stage heat pump and the Air Handler
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:33:05 PM by gandwadventure »
2004 Winniebago Adventurer' 35 foot with Workhorse Chassic and 8100 Vortex Workhorse engine, with Allision  5 speed transmission and 22.5 Michlen tires.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 08:38:08 PM »
You use the wiring matrix on page 2 of my write-up.  This requires quite a bit of study and commitment and is not a five minute job.  You DO NOT configure the replacement thermostat as a heat pump!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:40:34 PM by John Canfield »
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

gandwadventure

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »
You use the wiring matrix on page 2 of my write-up.  This requires quite a bit of study and commitment and is not a five minute job.  You DO NOT configure the replacement thermostat as a heat pump!
Thanks John.
I will report back when i try this.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
Here are two conversions (similar but not for the Honeywell model you mentioned):
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:08:30 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:23:21 AM »
Here are two conversions (similar but not for the Honeywell model you mentioned):
Good find Stu. 

I used both of those documents as a resource when I started my conversion project.  The first document is somewhat dated and a bit of a hodge-poge collection of data; the thermostat they reference isn't available IIRC.  I think the second document is Duner's (Bill) chart which was a huge help.  In the end, I basically started from the beginning when I was figuring out how the Coleman-Mach thermostat interacted with the basement air control board.

Not tooting my horn (much  ;) ), but the documentation on my write-up (particularly the chart/truth table) I believe is the most detailed available on the Internet.  I spent hours researching before I resigned myself to starting with a blank sheet of paper.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
Yes John, I have been collecting them for the simple reason that I have replaced 4 Coleman Mach units so far, the first was "old", but all were on warranty, thank goodness, 1 was brand new , but the next time it will likely be on my dollar. The last Coleman Mach has been good for 5 years now!!!

On this old trailer, I don't think I want to go to the "extreme" you did !!! :-\
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:06:54 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

gandwadventure

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
Good find Stu. 

I used both of those documents as a resource when I started my conversion project.  The first document is somewhat dated and a bit of a hodge-poge collection of data; the thermostat they reference isn't available IIRC.  I think the second document is Duner's (Bill) chart which was a huge help.  In the end, I basically started from the beginning when I was figuring out how the Coleman-Mach thermostat interacted with the basement air control board.

Not tooting my horn (much  ;) ), but the documentation on my write-up (particularly the chart/truth table) I believe is the most detailed available on the Internet.  I spent hours researching before I resigned myself to starting with a blank sheet of paper.

Hey John: My Honeywell RTHL2510C says it is compatible with heating, cooling, heatpump, aug heat. I really need diagram that Dunewr has for Rite temp adapted to Honeywell.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 07:24:20 AM »
Download the two documents Stu posted a few posts up.  Remember, you do NOT configure the thermostat as a heat pump.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

jcid

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
Hello,

Great post and write up. I know its a bit old but on the Coleman mach i didn't notice any mention of what you did with the AGS wire?

Thanks!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
AGS? Auto Gen Start?

Welcome to the forum.
--John
Our Horizon projects