EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Do I need a Dually for a camper with a Slideout?  (Read 1750 times)

COCJ

• ---
Do I need a Dually for a camper with a Slideout?
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:26:01 AM »
I have a 2005 Ford 1 Ton Super Duty with single rear wheels. Thinking about buying a Lance camper with one slideout. My buddy says that you have to have a dually to haul a camper with a slideout. My truck has the load capacity to handle the weight of this camper. Do I need a dually?
2015 F350 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab Dually, 2006 11.5' Lance camper. Polaris ATVS.

donn

• ---
Re: Do I need a Dually for a camper with a Slideout?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »
Weights?  2005 probably has a GVWR of around 10000 pounds. Scaled weight of your truck ready to travel?  Probably around 8000 pounds depending on configuration.  So without way more information I would have to side with your buddy

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:53:52 PM »
Weights and the height of the center of gravity.   A slideout camper has a higher floor and higher center of gravity than a nonslide unit.  Both trucks have their springs the same width apart, but the dually has a widerrear track because of the width of those extra two tires, and this can make a big difference on a top heavy load.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:55:48 PM by Lou Schneider »

arch7

• ---
  • Architect for Liberty
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
or for that matter do you need a dually without the slide out? I'm no pro and I just bought my first TC, drove it from the rockys to the big horns last weekend. From that experience I think it depends on how much driving and how much highway driving you are going to be doing. If I was going to be a nomad and just drive all around live in this thing I'd go dually for sure, regardless of slide out or weight because the TC would be big and I'd have a lot of stuff and the dually would just give me more peace of mind

Hosted by Over The Network