EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Pop Up w/Hyundai Sante Fe  (Read 2849 times)

AlisaB

Pop Up w/Hyundai Sante Fe
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:29:19 AM »
Hello all,

I am in the process of starting to look at pop up campers.  I drive a 2009 Hyunda Sante Fe and was wondering if anyone else here has successfully pulled a pop up with a small V-6 cylinder 3.3 L automatic which states the tow capacity is 3,500.  I don't want to put strain or stress on my vehicle and am thinking I should be able to pull a pop up.  Also, I need to purchase a towing kit for the car and need to know what to look for and what to get.

I am also a single mom with a 14 year old daughter and 11 year old son wanting to make the MOST of each weekend we have together and I thought this would be a great way to make some memories.  Is a pop up something we could handle together?

I meet my brother-in-law and sister quite often in their 5th wheel so we could do a lot of trips together with them.  What are the pros and cons for me, my car and my situation?

Thanks for any input and I am looking forward to make new memories with new people!!!
Alisa, Future Pop Up Owner
DD - 14
DS - 11

blw2

• ---
Re: Pop Up w/Hyundai Sante Fe
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
My DW misses her old Sante Fe...

I have never towed with one, but I suspect that you can fin a small popup that will be ok.  Lots of folks tow pups with minvans and such....
Might be a little underpowered in the hills, but I think you can find something for sure....

I recently got out of the popup business..... had a Rockwood 1910 for around 5-1/2 years..... It maxes out at 2,976#.  I don't remember the exact number, but I think it loaded out for me at around 2,500# or so....

A couple comments

First, good on you for getting out there with your kids!

Second, ignore what the RV salesmen will tell you about towing capacity.  It seems to be a common theme that they either don't know, or they lie.

I'd suggest you really dig into the numbers in your santa fe's owners manual to see what your real capacity is.
Most of the time, there's a "tow capacity" number published.  It's a general number.  I suspect that is what you are looking at.
I'm not totally up on the details, but it's a number that would likely be assuming your Sante Fe is empty with no "stuff" in it.... and no family loaded either....
You need to look at
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight rating.  This is the max loaded weight of your Sante Fe
GCVWR = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight rating.  This is the max loaded weight of your Sante Fe + the Weight of the trailer

If possible, I would suggest you actually get a real weight of your santa fe.  Full of gas, kids loaded, cooler full of ice, etc... as if you are going camping.
Some of your gear might be in the popup of course so you don't have to fully load it for camping, just try to guess what you might have in it when towing your new pup.  Look for a Cat scale at a truck stop http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator
or i hear you can often get weights at places where you buy gravel, mulch by the load, and such.

Then, consider that you will be adding to this weight, the tongue weight of the trailer..... maybe 15-20% of the total loaded trailer weight.

so GVWR - actual weight = how much tongue weight you could add
    (actually a bit more complicated since you ultimately need to consider the load on each axle... but I thin this'll be close enough for estimating purposes)

then take your actual weight + an estimated tongue weight (maybe 350#) = the total loaded sante feigh weight
then look at GCVWR- this total sante loaded sante fe.  Make sure his number doesn't go negative.

And my popup advice....strongly consider one that has or has room for a pottie like this
http://www.thetford.com/Thetford/HOME/Products/PortableToiletsHome/tabid/83/Default.aspx
everything else is optional.....
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

BobX2

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:05:21 AM »
Absolutely you should get yourself a popup. You will be able to pull it just fine, as long as you don't get carried away and buy one of the monster popups. I used to pull one with my '85 S-10 Blazer, 2.8 liter, the worlds most gutless SUV ever made. An 8-10 foot box that isn't loaded down with every option under the sun would be easily pulled by your vehicle.
2009 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL

AlisaB

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:38 AM »
So happy to hear my little Sante Fe might work.  I would hate to have to buy another vehicle right now!!  blw2 - thanks for all of your information!!

Are there standard towing kits or one specifically that I would have to get for my car???  Any suggestions on what kind?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:47:32 AM by AlisaB »
Alisa, Future Pop Up Owner
DD - 14
DS - 11

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:30:02 AM »
    My daughter & SIL have pulled one for a few years, have had it on several 2,000 + mile trips. 

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:31:17 AM »
So happy to hear my little Sante Fe might work.  I would hate to have to buy another vehicle right now!!

Are there standard towing kits or one specifically that I would have to get for my car???  Any suggestions on what kind?

A website http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/ will have the vehicle specific information you need.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

schrederman

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »
My wife's car is a 2009 Santa Fe. Due to the light weight, and short wheelbase, I would not tow anything with it. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I'd be concerned for your safety. Please be careful with your choices... and have fun!
Jack and Dee Dee in Weatherford, Tx
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 Cummins TD
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH travel trailer

Hosted by Over The Network