Darn! I hate it when that happens!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Yesterday we encountered the dreaded narrow lane with barricades.  It was an old bridge under construction that narrowed to a single 10 foot lane (one way traffic). I've done 10 footers before with no problems, but this one got me!  The right side was metal guardrails rather than Jersey barricades, so they stood straight up instead of leaning away. The left side was the old bridge girders, tall and straight and only a few inches from the road edge. I was watching the mirrors on the left side and edged a bit too close on the right, resulting in a Screeeech!  Yeap, scraped the paint all along the lower right side, catching every bay door, wheel well, and front & rear caps. Some only had short scrapes, but I got them all. Bummer.

Oh well, that's what insurance is for. No injuries and no severe damage, but the entire lower right side will need sanding and painting. It can wait til we get back home next months.

Sorry about the mishap, it takes courage to admit these things in a public forum too.

Sorry to hear that Gary. Happened to me the first time I drove our coach, and it left deep gouges in addition to scratches. I sure empathize with you.

I know the feeling very well Gary, 4 months ago I did the same thing in the Virgin River Gorge, the state of Arizona is replacing 7 of the 9 bridges in the gorge, as we speak, over a period of two years. In this instance the concrete guards were 10 feet inside and the speed limit was 35 so I assumed no problem,,,,,, BUT the problem was the barriers routed you off the pavement and back on,,,,,PROBLEM!!.( the width of my coach only leaves me with 9 inches per side)  When my right front tire dropped off the pavement edge it jerked the coach to the right and got the entire side of the body including all the bay doors. 3 months of my labor later it looks new.>>>Dan  ( I have previous body work experience, and I just caught up)

Don't you hate it when those darned barriers just jump out of place and get in your way?!?  Yep, we've had a few of those too.

ArdraF

Gary, sorry to hear about your misfortune, it happens to all of us sooner or later.

Ed

ArdraF said:
Don't you hate it when those darned barriers just jump out of place and get in your way?!?  Yep, we've had a few of those too.

ArdraF

That's hilarious...when it happens to others. :p

When we moved from CA to WA, one of the "orange barrels" used to delineate construction area "jumped out in front of me" while I was driving...only in this case, it actually did...the wind blew it right in front of the U haul truck. Fortunately, it didn't do any damage...but it made one helluva "BANG!" when I hit it.

Sorry to hear about your mishap.  I hate narrow bridges.  Here's a picture of a bridge on Highway 60 where the Ohio River meets the Mississippi River.  Not much room for error on this bridge and meeting an 18 wheeler coming the other way causes your butt cheeks to grip the seat.

Attachments

• Myrtle1 141_1 - Copy.JPG
    Myrtle1 141_1 - Copy.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 78
Oh man! We all hate it when that happens!

It's like watching a pitcher take a line drive to the crotch!  Cringe..........

We have a number of bridges like that over our local Delta waterways, some even narrower.

Edit: We quit traveling that route and go the 'long way around' when we leave and return home in the coach.

Was across that Ohio River bridge back in June and I hate it. Sorry for the bruises, got a few myself. My last trip the step didn't retract with the ignition. Tried to move a concrete barrier with the step and the barrier didn't move. Body work done, waiting on the new steps, should be here Wed.

Darn! I hate it when that happens!

And I'll bet those were the exact words you used when it happened........

I went over that exact same bridge two years ago with a car hauler coming at me at speed,, my right front tire was doing its best to climb that high curb and the hub cap was toast.>>>Dan :'( :'(

Oakman said:
Sorry to hear about your mishap.  I hate narrow bridges.  Here's a picture of a bridge on Highway 60 where the Ohio River meets the Mississippi River.  Not much room for error on this bridge and meeting an 18 wheeler coming the other way causes your butt cheeks to grip the seat.

I remember crossing that bridge on our first long trip with our first motorhome back in 94. We were returning to Vermont from Springfield, MO. A trucker behind me commented to another trucker that he didn't know why I was being so cautious - that "camper" has at least 6 inches on each side. I almost just stopped!

I try to drive carefully too, but stuff just happens.  Once I quickly backed up my dually forgetting that I had my little cargo trailer hooked up behind it.  ;D 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom