Going it alone questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A 3/4 ton truck can carry somewhere in the range of 2500-3000 lbs, so no worrys about an ATV plus a TT. It's the 5W pin weight that can stagger a pick-up.

While a 5W is inherently more stable than a TT, a properly set up TT with a quality hitch won't cause you any sway problems. For the ultimate experience, use a Pro-Pride or Hensley Arrow hitch on a TT. A very expensive hitch but steady as a rock.

all true
My 2 cents worth about a TT
a good bit more work in set-up.... so IF you're planning to stay put for longer periods of time, ok, but if you plan to move often I think that hitching and set-up would get old.  A 5th is a lot easier to hitch in my limited experience....

Also, I understand not wanting a 3500 dually....but why not a single rear wheel 3500 if you need capacity over a 2500?

Yep, like they said above, no problems with a TT and a 3/4 ton truck.  TT puts about 12% of it's weight on the ball, or in my case, around 960 lbs.  That leaves me 1420 lbs of payload.  Even with the wife, the toolbox, generator, and all my toys on board, I'd still easily have enough payload left for an ATV. 

Set up properly, a TT won't sway.  Sway is usually caused by improper loading, bad hitch setup, undersized tow vehicle, excessive speed, or a combination of these.  Even in a 25-30 mph crosswind, my 30' TT doesn't sway, nor does it sway when I get passed by semis, etc.  That said, a fifth wheel is inherently more stable than a TT, and might be a better choice if you're new to towing.....but again, you lose the use of the bed of the truck (hence the need for a toyhauler, in which case you lose "nice" living space, have vehicle odors in your RV, etc).  All a trade off.

I have been most definitely looking into driving lessons/school but have found unfortunately none in my state (upstate NY).  I do NOT want to just get in and "learn by experience" as the salesman suggested "most people do."  Tried asking around and looking online but it seems I might have to travel to learn.  Any thoughts?

Dick Reed's RV Driving School is one of the oldest and their training classes are in various places.  Some of the larger dealers such as Lazy Days have training sessions for purchasers.  With motorhomes, some of the manufacturer clubs (such as Monaco International) have driver training at their rallies.  Also organizations like Family Motor Coach Assn. (FMCA) have driving classes at their rallies.  It depends on what type of RV you end up with as to what classes are available.  Even truck driving schools might have a session for RVers.  By the way, shame on that salesman for his comment that "most people just get in and drive".  That's irresponsible.  We see a lot of people on the highways with their trailers zigging and zagging when they should be steady.  In many cases they're going too fast.  But some probably don't have a clue as to what they're doing.  Kudos to you for wanting to do it right.

The fact that you are female and 130 lbs has absolutely zero to do with it.

I certainly agree about the driving aspects, but I think she was wondering if she could handle the set up and take down aspects of a trailer.  This is a case where she needs to have someone show her how to do it and then see how difficult it is to do herself.  I've seen enough hefty guys wrestle those things with difficulty that I thought it important to bring it up.  If Mountainlady has a friend with a trailer it would be nice to talk to that person and maybe get a personal lesson before buying something that might be too large for her to handle.

ArdraF

ArdraF, My instincts are like yours, that there is real benefit in experiencing the real deal first in any potential setup if you can, and a variety of setups.

Even if you have to travel go take the driving school, and my bet is that one of the instructors can himself, or through his connections, help their students gain some real specific experience.

Even some of the mentors in this forum, once you have a specific trailer and truck combo in mind would be able to provide expert guidance. But this should all be done before you complete the buy.

Although I am married,  my husband has health issues so I do everything.  We have a Dodge Ram 3500 gas dually and we just recently got a 20' bumper pull toy hauler and I love it.  I love the truck.  I feel very confident because it can easily hand our 20' trailer.  I think that is very important to have a lot more truck then you need.  I love the toy hauler because of all the extra room you have while camping once your UTV/ATV is out of the trailer. 

I am completely capable of taking care of all aspects of hook-up including tying down the UTV in the toy hauler, driving, and setting up camp by myself.  Be sure you get an electric tongue jack if you get a bumper pull.  I am 61 years old, in OK shape,  but I have horses and love being outside.  I am used to hauling horses, so hauling a 20' trailer is no big deal.  If you can get instruction on hauling that would be good.  I have learned so much from everyone on this forum.  They have given me answers to questions that come from real life experience...that is invaluable.

If you absolutely need a spotter and you are in a campground there is always someone willing to help.  Other wise it is the G.O.A.L. method-no big deal.

I appreciate the advise about being a woman alone.  I would never use a rest area by myself.  I am a big planner and if you carefully plan your route and stay in campgrounds or areas that are safe I think you would be fine.  I always carry a gun.  When you first start out go to the full hook-up campgrounds, learn the ropes and talk to the people you meet and the campground hosts.  They will give you excellent advise on where to stay and when.  Then as you get some miles under your belt you will learn where to go and be safe.

Have fun.  You can really do this.  If I can, you can :)

but why not a single rear wheel 3500 if you need capacity over a 2500?

Because there is no material difference in the ratings/capacities of a 2500 vs a 3500 SRW. The extra wheels (dually) is what increases the payload carrying capacity.

ArdraF said:
I've seen enough hefty guys wrestle those things with difficulty that I thought it important to bring it up.  If Mountainlady has a friend with a trailer it would be nice to talk to that person and maybe get a personal lesson before buying something that might be too large for her to handle.

ArdraF

Then they don't know what they're doing.  I'm 51 years old, 5'7" and weigh a buck fifty five and have no issues with it.  My 5'4" wife can easily hook up and unhook our 30' TT, WD bars, safety chains,sway control, breakaway cable, and everything else.  It took her all of about 20 minutes to learn it. With a power landing jack, it's a breeze.  I figured it was essential she knew how to do it just in case I can't do it for any reason.  The only real "struggle" I can think of is lifting the WD hitch and putting it in the receiver on the truck....easy solution, buy a locking pin and leave it in there all the time. 

Fifth wheel is even easier.

Any competent dealer can walk her through the whole process until she is comfortable with it.

One of my hobbies is watching the comings and goings at a campsite. I enjoy watching TT and FW pull in. It always ends being a 45 minutes to an hour or more (usually more) of set-up. I have been impressed with a couple of folks over the summer who pulled in with their trailer and set up in fairly quick fashion, under 45 minutes.

On a bad day my motor home is level, plugged in, connected to water and sewer, and slides out in under 20 minutes, and that's if I use landing pads under each jack. 

Gary RV Roamer said:
Because there is no material difference in the ratings/capacities of a 2500 vs a 3500 SRW. The extra wheels (dually) is what increases the payload carrying capacity.

I bow to your experience as I don't have time to look it up at the moment.... but I sure thought i remember when looking into this very question a while back that there was in fact a significant difference.... that the DRW did offer the greatest capacity, obviously, but that the SWR still carried heavier springs and other components that gave a larger capacity between the 2500 and the DRW 3500

Oscar Mike said:
One of my hobbies is watching the comings and goings at a campsite. I enjoy watching TT and FW pull in. It always ends being a 45 minutes to an hour or more (usually more) of set-up. I have been impressed with a couple of folks over the summer who pulled in with their trailer and set up in fairly quick fashion, under 45 minutes.

On a bad day my motor home is level, plugged in, connected to water and sewer, and slides out in under 20 minutes, and that's if I use landing pads under each jack.

Sort of like the entertainment that can be found on a busy day at the boat ramp

Oscar Mike said:

Seriously?  In under 30 minutes we're unhooked, leveled, slide and awning out, water and power running, hummingbird feeders hung, and the first beer cracked open.  Of course, we have the truck to drive around town, so no unhooking a toad.

I have watched people struggle with their trailers.  Some of these folks I suspect struggle with many things......

but I sure thought i remember when looking into this very question a while back that there was in fact a significant difference.... that the DRW did offer the greatest capacity, obviously, but that the SWR still carried heavier springs and other components that gave a larger capacity between the 2500 and the DRW 3500

Using the 2013 Ford Towing Guide as an example, for a regular cab truck the same tow-rating columns are labeled for both F250 and F350SRW. For a Supercab the columns are different, but the values are either identical or the SRW is 100 lbs less than a 250!  Crew cab models follow the same pattern as Supercabs.  However, you are correct that an F350 SRW may have a greater payload capacity in some configurations. It varies with the specifics, but the SRW is either the same as a 250 or greater, typically 500 lbs greater but in some cases as much as 1500 lbs. It is impossible to generalize, though.

Oscar Mike said:

And your RV was already cooled down when you pulled in wasn't it. Coffee pot and bathroom located right behind me. AdraF got it right.

When I was very sick and could do nothing but drive Jane would set-up by herself and she is only a buck 30 and 5'3". There is another thought of  using a Jeep for a toad, you may decide you dont want the bring the polaris if you have a Jeep.

So much great information.  Thank you guys so much! 

What ArdraF said was exactly what I was thinking, both with a 5 and TT, that hitching/unhitching/setup, etc. I might not be able to handle alone.... but maybe not now that I read some of hte comments here.  I don't think I will be constantly on the go but more the "leisure traveler", like staying in one place for many months at a time, both to limit setup (either 5 or TT) as well as to work, as I will be working 4-5 days a week too.

I LOVE your rig setup Bob with the TT and ATV in the bed.  That was exactly what I was thinking at first but then saw comments on how difficult a TT is with setup/handling, etc. that I thought I didn't want to get into something I couldn't handle.  However, after reading some of hte comments here, perhaps I could?  Although some comments scare the crap out of me LOL (watching others back in and set up a TT etc), I've always been one to want to do things correctly and to the best of my ability. 

So, OK, I have to learn much more about all the weight ratings and such.  From what I'm understanding, like Bob, I could tow more TT  than 5W with a 3/4T Chevy because the weight is on the tongue rather than the axle (that's the pin weight right Gary?).  Then, the payload weight is the amount that can sit in the bed of the truck?  If Bob's figures are around right, leaving 1450 pds for payload, my ATV at 750 would be good to go. 

Thank you so much Gary for the hitch info.  If I end up going TT I DEFINITELY want the best hitch system I can get because I'm very nervous about it all in the first place :).

On a recent trip to Oregon I was doing my usual "people watching" while enjoying a cold drink when a single mom pulled into the space next to me in her brand spanking new TT. She got out of her truck followed by two children 3-5 years old. She stationed her children about 5' away from the TT one at the rear and one at the front and then proceeded to do her set-up. It was a work of art the way she maneuvered her rig into the slot (it was a pull through) and completed her set up in about 40 minutes. I asked if she needed any assistance and she said no that she and her kids had been practicing as this was their first trip. She did far better than I would have done on my first trip, and she had fun doing it.

Don't let smart arses like me dissuade you from pursuing your dream. With what I've read you are self confident and will do very well with whatever RV type you choose. I would highly recommend that you test drive a couple of motor homes before you decide on a trailer...but that too is just my opinion.

Good luck on your journey and I hope that you find "the one". 

So, OK, I have to learn much more about all the weight ratings and such.  From what I'm understanding, like Bob, I could tow more TT  than 5W with a 3/4T Chevy because the weight is on the tongue rather than the axle (that's the pin weight right Gary?).  Then, the payload weight is the amount that can sit in the bed of the truck?  If Bob's figures are around right, leaving 1450 pds for payload, my ATV at 750 would be good to go.

From the towing perspective there are two basic differences between a 5W and TT:
(1) The 5W places about 20% of the trailer weight on the hitch, vs only 10% for the TT
(2) The 5W hitch is over the truck axle, whereas the TT hitch point is 4-5 feet further back (behind the bumper)

These two things are what makes the 5W so much more stable when towing, but the cost is a much greater weight that the truck must actually carry, plus the hitch uses up most of the bed space. So yes, a TT leaves you with both space and weight capacity in the truck bed.

TT or 5W set-up can be made easy enough with the addition of a powered tongue jack (TT) and powered leveling jacks on the trailer frame. A large 5W will have powered front "landing gear" from the factory. Figure on maybe $3800 to add powered leveling jacks to a trailer - see Hydra Mfg's  Bigfoot jacks. This eliminates the hassle of placing boards under wheels to get level plus it fully stabilizes the rig.

As others have said, strength and size aren't really a factor in set-up.

I suggest you consider the difficulty of loading the toy into the truck. That may well be more challenging than setting up the trailer.

Ernie

I'm a 40 year old female and I have/had no problems towing or setting up our campers.  We started out with a 26' TT, then went to a 29' TT, and now we own a 36' FW.  Because I enjoy it, I do all the hitching, towing and setting up.  I've never had an issue or a problem.  We camp 25 miles from our home, so I leave earlier in the day to get everything set up, then by the time my dh is done with work, all he has to do is drive to the campsite and relax.  I never took any towing/driving classes and never had any problems, and when we get back home, I can back our FW right into the same ruts/tracks in 1-2 tries.  It's actually easier for me to do everything when no one is trying to help.  Lol.

nano said:
I'm a 40 year old female and I have/had no problems towing or setting up our campers.  We started out with a 26' TT, then went to a 29' TT, and now we own a 36' FW.  Because I enjoy it, I do all the hitching, towing and setting up.  I've never had an issue or a problem.  We camp 25 miles from our home, so I leave earlier in the day to get everything set up, then by the time my dh is done with work, all he has to do is drive to the campsite and relax.  I never took any towing/driving classes and never had any problems, and when we get back home, I can back our FW right into the same ruts/tracks in 1-2 tries.  It's actually easier for me to do everything when no one is trying to help.  Lol.

Amen to this...it is truly easier to do by yourself!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom