need to reset the lockout on a suburban furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I think my new small propane tank or the hose doesn't provide sufficient propane to the furnace.  It's been running cold.  I think now that the lockout switch must have triggered.  The Suburban manual is of no use.  I have a NT16S, by the way. 

Does anybody know how to reset the lockout switch?  I've changed back to the onboard tank, which does provide enough pressure.

Thanks.

--pat

1st question  Does it try to ignite?  If not  Either needs to be cleaned , the small tube by the ignitor  or the ignitor itself could be bad.  Also does the other appliances (stove) work on the propane? 

The standard way to reset safety lockouts is to turn it off, count to some number like five or ten and turn it back on.  Works with MOST of the RV lockouts.  Some have buttons you push

The furnance in my RV works great with the Marshall Brass "Extend-a-stay" hose and a 20 lb bottle

The furnace didn't even try to ignite.  Just turned on the blower and blew cold air.  So, I turned off the auxiliary propane tank and turned on the onboard propane tank.  Still didn't ignite, but it may have needed priming.  By evening, when I tried the furnace, it ignited fine and worked all night.  I had the temp down to about 63, so it kicked on and off for short periods.  It's possible it didn't have to run long enough to reduce the gas pressure to the point it wouldn't burn. 

I do have the extend a stay fitting.

I'm going to try the smaller tank with the old hose I left in AZ.  If the furnace doesn't work, I'll try the cooktop, which I don't use, but it's operable.  If the small tank still doesn't work, I'll try the larger one I left in AZ. 

The new tank is probably 20lb.  I think the old one is 30 or so.  I love the gauge on the new one, plus it's easier for me to lift.

The furnace stopped heating once before with this new tank and hose.  At the time I didn't pay attention to the propane level in the tank.  I turned the furnace off.  Ran the heat pump for a while.  Turned the furnace back on, and it was fine.  This has not happened until I started using this new little tank.  I ran the furnace for a couple weeks here on the onboard tank with no problems.  I'm hoping it's the hose.  The maintenance people here were edging the grass and decided that the tank hanging over the grass by one inch required that they yank the tank forward so far, the hose was pulled taught.  I wonder if they damaged something.  Nothing seems to be leaking.  I have a little detector to check fittings outside.  Hope nothing happened to the main line or extend a stay connections.

--pat

Pat,

It's quite possible your sail switch is defective. When it goes bad the fan will run but the gas valve will not open. All you get is cold air.

I'm trying to learn something here! ::)? What would be the advantage to having a 20lb tank to run the furnace if you have an onboard tank that works fine??

Thanks Randy

rclark said:
I'm trying to learn something here! ::)  What would be the advantage to having a 20lb tank to run the furnace if you have an onboard tank that works fine??

Thanks Randy

It sounds like both tanks are Portable tanks, not mounted as on a Class A but removable like on a TT.

If this is the case both tanks should provide exactly the same size connection to exactly the same size line at exactly the same pressure, no difference at all.

Hi:

One tank is mounted and permanent.  I have to move the whole mh to get it refilled.  The other is portable.

I reconnected the hose to the little tank, and it's working just fine so far.  I have changed winter plans and will try to stick out the Portland OR rain this winter, so the park is installing one of their tall propane tanks, which they refill a couple times a week. 

If the furnace is running, and they come to refill the propane tank, which entails removing it to the supply tank, I am assuming that removing the propane will cause things to lock out due to lack of propane.  I am assuming I will need to be here on all fill days to ensure that I turn the furnace off. 

--pat

If you are using a Marshall Brass "Extend-A-Stay" or equivlant device for your "T" fitting, then you can fill the main supply tank on the MH (What, 30 gallon tank) and when they come to refill check valves in the Extend-a-stay will do what needs to be done automatically.

Simply turn on the main tank before they get there and turn it off after they refill,  You may be using the main tank all the time.

However that said, they may wish for you to be there when they fill,,, Small matter of the bill to be paid.

The furnace stopped heating once before with this new tank and hose.  At the time I didn't pay attention to the propane level in the tank.  I turned the furnace off.  Ran the heat pump for a while.  Turned the furnace back on, and it was fine.  This has not happened until I started using this new little tank.  I ran the furnace for a couple weeks here on the onboard tank with no problems.  I'm hoping it's the hose.  The maintenance people here were edging the grass and decided that the tank hanging over the grass by one inch required that they yank the tank forward so far, the hose was pulled taught.  I wonder if they damaged something.  Nothing seems to be leaking.  I have a little detector to check fittings outside.  Hope nothing happened to the main line or extend a stay connections.

Next time the furnace refuses to light, try lighting a burner on the stove.  If it lights, your tank is providing propane and the problem lies elsewhere in the furnace.

If your stove won't light, it's possible your portable tank may have frozen.  Propane is very cold, something like -50 degrees when it boils from liquid to vapor.  If there's any water vapor in your tank, it will freeze and can block the outlet.  Once the ice dam melts, the tank will work again.

Did you have the tank purged before it was filled with propane for the first time?  If not, you should have this done.  Any propane distributor should be able to do this or refer you to a place that can.

I reattached the new hose carefully and hooked up the new small tank.  For a week now the furnace is heating like a trouper.  I think when the maintenance crew moved it and pulled it so tight to edge the inch of grass under the tank, they twisted something loose.  All is well.  Tuesday I have the park supplied large tank coming.  Propane here is reasonable, and the tank is $3 a month, which includes automatic checks and refills.  Only additional cost is propane used. 

--pat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom