Buying a PU- any brands to avoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mucka

Hello to all,
I am new to this forum.
We just sold our class C and are going to go back to a PU after many years away. We had a mid 90's Coleman / Fleetwood. It was a nice camper. We are looking for a few things that are a must. We have to have A/C, fridge, and maybe heater. We don't want a shower/toilet. We don't have to have new so used would be fine. Are there any used brands to avoid? Are there any new brands to avoid? It seems like around here Forest River is selling alot of new ones. We are going to stay with a fairly current years if we go used. I would was early 2000's and up.

I can't tell what we want other than it must be in very good condition and pass the wife's smell test. It is has a smell she won't buy it!!!!!!

Let me know you thoughts.

Thanks
Russ

I just came from owning a popup and have been active over at a popup/TT forum for quite a while.
This question is a lot like asking which one is better, GM or Ford.
But
in the end the general consensus, IMO when if you look at it with an open mind, is that they are all roughly equivalent.
It comes down to condition, how well it has been maintained, finding a floorplan you like, good mods or bad that have been done to it, etc...

One thing for sure, stay away for the old Coleman/Fleetwood with the ABS (plastic) roof.
Stay away from pups that smell...(your DW has this one covered then)
Look long and hard for other indications of leaking.

From what i understand, the coleman revisit by a new company Somerset, I believe it is, are expensive..... but I haven't noticed a huge amount of chatter on them yet.
I can't imagine stepping back to canvas and no toilet!  I would at least HAVE to have a portable pottie (thetford or similar)

Jayco are held in high regard
I liked my Rockwood just fine for what it was, but hated the floorplan
  • no top down fridge access is dumb IMHO
    and I found that the outside trunk storage would have served better to lengthen the box for more interior seating that would have still allowed for outside access storage
The A-Frame popups are very popular for singles and couples.  No canvas, easy to set up, easy to tow.

Back
Top Bottom