A-frame campers. Good/bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mucka

We are looking for popups and ran across these A-frames. We have seen the A-liner and Starcraft versions. Not too sure what all the differences are. I have read alittle about Stracraft using wood in the floor and the A-liner does not. Not sure what they use.

Are there other brands of Aframes to consider? I think these Starcraft are very new. I can't seem to find much feed back on them.

These Aframes seem like they would do well for us but we have never had one and until you live with one sometimes you don't know the shortcomings.

Please let me know the thoughts on these Aframes. Any one better than the other. It does seem like the A-liners are more highly thought of but I have found a very good deal on a Starcraft for @ $10,000. All the Aliners are more than $5000 more than that.

Please guide the uninformed....

Thanks
Russ

I used to have a popup and spent a lot of time over at a popup forum.  There are a lot of folks with them that love them... singles and couples, not so much for families obviously.....
Apparently all the advantages of a pup while towing
but with easier set-up
faster set-up
and none of the down sides to canvas.

Oh, forest river makes a line of them

We have an A Liner Classic 2003 which we bought second hand. But we are the first owner since the previous owner never used it in 10 years. We had to remove seals, get a battery etc.

Pros:
- our model weighs less than 1000lbs and can be pulled with any car. I think that the newer models are heavier.
- Hard walls - nice when camping in bear territory. More weather protection.
- Very easy to set up. Our neighbour timed us at 45 seconds! We use an electric drill for the legs.
- Pulls beautifully.
- ALiner has given us excellent customer service! They also charged reasonable cost for parts.
- Our unit has a very large King sized bed (actually even bigger than King)
- We have higher box which results in a slightly larger fridge. We are happy with that.
- We have a small built-in A/C but have not used it.
- Our unit has a water tank but no pump, only a manual thingy that does not really work for me. We have a 3gl water tank on the counter (top of fridge) and use that. This way no winterizing is needed.
- Our unit also does not have a built in holding tank. We bought an oil dispenser plastic container and put that straight underneath the drain. Simple and easy. Again, no winterizing.
= We don't have the small microwave. Instead I have some great storage. I can live fine without a M/W but we do need some storage for the plates, cups, pots and pans.
- very little storage especially in the models that have the toilet/shower combo. Our unit has two storage cabinets instead. In one we keep a portapotty for nighttime use only. The other cupboard gives us some storage for staples.
- The storage areas and fridge are all low to the floor which means  A LOT of bending over. Not for people with back problems.
- Our unit does not have a furnace. We have a small electric space heater for chilly evening, then go early to bed!

If you have any questions: ask away!

Elly

Check out Chalet. Located in Albany, Oregon

http://www.chaletrv.com/folding-trailers/

Camped next to a couple with an A-frame while out west this last summer.  Their only complaint was there wasn't enough room to draw back and swing at the other so they had to fight outside.  Other than that, they liked it. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom