EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Getting confused ("C", "B+" or Small "A")  (Read 2078 times)

UP Travelers

• ---
Getting confused ("C", "B+" or Small "A")
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »
I have been studying about and searching for "small class A" motorhomes recently. Ever since a salesman at a large RV dealer suggested one would be better for our purpose than the class "C's" or "B+'s" that we were asking about.
We plan to full-time starting about a year from now. But may buy one sooner. Like later this fall or early winter (I read Bill Myers book on Buying a Motorhome).
The sales guy said that Class "A''s drive much better and are more stable in windy conditions. And that the fuel economy may even be better than at least the larger Class "C"'s. He mentioned storage and living space being better in a Class "A". That's a no-brainer, but I need feedback about and help understanding the driveability/stability aspects. So could those of you with experience please chime in.
The next thing that confused me was when I ran into the "wheelbase-to-length" ratio thing. I have been studying Class "A" motorhomes up to 33' long but focusing on those 26' to 28'. I've read some posts by those who say this "wheelbase-to-length" ratio must be high enough. And that driving one that isn't is a terrible experience. So if thats so important should I be looking at longer units?
So some help with the small Class "A" vs. Class "C"/"B+" question and the whole "wheelbase-to-length" ratio thing will be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,

Jim
Jim
2008 Tiffin Allegro 32BA
2015 Kia Soul
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar
Blue Ox Patriot Brake System
EEZ RV TPMS
Garmin RV 760LMT GPS

John Beard

• ---
Re: Getting confused ("C", "B+" or Small "A")
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
It's all a bit overwhelming with so many choices and just as many opinions, and then the sales people will say just about anything to make a sale. I began with a pop-up, moved into a camper, then a Class A and now a Class C. I am still not completely happy and I am once again sniffing around for the perfect motor home.

Good luck in your search
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »
I have owned several As, Bs and Cs and A wins hands down in all areas.  They are the easiest of all to drive.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
When we began researching our first motorhome, I too started out B+, then C, then eventually landed on a 38' class A which we love.
Initially, the class A's just seemed too intimidating. Further research and help from the pros here helped with our decision. They are quite easy to drive and maneuver.
Since you plan on fulltiming, why so small?
I'm sure someone here can explain the technics of whell base issues, but at least initially, you may want to concentrate on floor plan and functionality with how much space you will realistically need.
Just my .02....
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
It's all a bit overwhelming with so many choices and just as many opinions, and then the sales people will say just about anything to make a sale. I began with a pop-up, moved into a camper, then a Class A and now a Class C. I am still not completely happy and I am once again sniffing around for the perfect motor home.

Good luck in your search

John,

Time for a nice DP! You'll never go back.

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »
I have been studying about and searching for "small class A" motorhomes recently.

The next thing that confused me was when I ran into the "wheelbase-to-length" ratio thing. I have been studying Class "A" motorhomes up to 33' long but focusing on those 26' to 28'. I've read some posts by those who say this "wheelbase-to-length" ratio must be high enough. And that driving one that isn't is a terrible experience. So if thats so important should I be looking at longer units?
So some help with the small Class "A" vs. Class "C"/"B+" question and the whole "wheelbase-to-length" ratio thing will be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,

Jim

The wheelbase to length ratio does not mean a longer motorhome, just a long enough wheelbase to support the length m/h you decide upon. A "smaller" ratio means you will have a longer overhang of the RV past the rear axle which does lend itself to loading and handling issues

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
John,

Time for a nice DP! You'll never go back.

ken

I just don't know about a DP. That would pop the cork though, after all of the DP avoidance I've done since I began RVing. 
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »
Fear not John, I had a DP for a year and went back to a gasser no problem. I didn't need a DP so it was easy to give up.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

james baker

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »
I have owned all the above also had a DP.  Class A is the only way to go. I presently have a 1996 Allegro m28 gas its a 180 inch wheel base handles like a sports car. I had a DP for 9 years before downsizing to the Allegro the DP was a 34 foot. I retired in 2002 and we traveled full time for three years sold the DP about 4 years ago and looked for an year or so before buying the Allegro. I would suggest you test drive a number of coaches also consider you may want tow a small car so take every thing into consideration. Suggest you might consider renting a coach and camp in it for a weekend but don't listen to a salesman they have $$$ for what they tell you. Read a lot of posts on several sites best of luck in your search.        Keep them shining     
1996 Allegro 29 ft gas, tow 1991 miata mx5 restored  Gun Barrel City Texas

Hosted by Over The Network