Supplemental water pressure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

Sometimes campground water pressure can get kinda low, particularly in the morning when lots of folks are taking showers, fixing meals, and going to the bathroom.  Using an external water filter also slows down flow into the MH.

I've been "supplementing" the water pressure by leaving my water pump switch on.  The pump itself only comes on if you are using water AND the external pressure is low.  Seems to work well for me, but in reading the literature that came with the MH, it says to leave the pump off when hooked up to external water.

Any thoughts on this?

I don't know about your RVs but in mine if the pump runs, the back flow preventer/check valve will operate and I will not get any shore water till the pump is turned off and the pressure is lower than the shore water pressure.

Karl said:
The pump will supplement the shore water supply when pressure is low from your on-board water tank. No problem, but if you use it frequently, remember to check your fresh water tank before you leave and fill as necessary.
That's certainly the case, as I found out this week.  I was in a park with low pressure and my FW tank ran dry in a day.

I refilled the tank, but then couldn't get the pump to prime.  It's a long and ugly story covered elsewhere, but I finally figured out that I had to turn off the park supply, open a faucet, and then turn on the pump to prime it.  The pump is just not able to self-prime when working against park pressure.

Good lesson here.  I'll watch the effects of using the pump to augment CG water pressure from now on.  I found the re-priming phenomenon very interesting. lou

I've seen that "Open fauctes" before... Never considered pressure already in the line.  Will have to re-valuate my thinking on those posts (never replied to one though)

It sure sounds like people are making this more complicated than necessary!  If I'm at a campground that does not have adequate water pressure, I simply don't connect to it and draw out of the rig's onboard tank.

When the tank runs low, I refill it from the campground's water.  Like boondocking except I don't have to move the rig to refill the tank.  This is easier than disconnecting the city water, filling the freshwater tank and reconnecting to city water.

That's what we do, Lou.  If we're going to be there for awhile, I'll leave the city water connected, but shut it off until I need to refill the onboard tank.

Back
Top Bottom